S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

TrackSpec Hood Vents Installed

Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
I never had my car in a wind tunnel, but prior to the vents I was suffering some heavy duty understeer induced by a gt250 wing. After installing these louvers the mid-high speed understeer is significantly reduced (also have a 5 inch splitter). The difference for me has been very noticible.
insufficient data please provide tire make/size, suspension setup, and lap times at tracks you hit
Old 05-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
insufficient data please provide tire make/size, suspension setup, and lap times at tracks you hit
255 RS3 square setup
uk alignment
whiteline front bar, stock rear bar
hks max iv sp coilovers
67" inch gt250 wing
5 inch splitter

Just went to Palmer motorsports park about 2 weeks ago ans clocked a best time of 1:48. I previously stuggled to get below mid 1:50's. I dont attribute that large of a gap to the vents however. But as previously stated, noticible reduction in understeer. Pre vents i managed a best of 59 seconds at LRP, 2:19 at WGI, with a lot of understeer all over both tracks. Ill be returning to both this year and will be able to compare thr deltas. Note my setup this year will be identical to last years with the vents being the exception.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

You have a UK alignment and all that aero?

Okay.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM

^Yeah alignment is really sub optimal. I will be getting front ball joints this season along with a much more aggressive alignment. Part of me wants to hold off just so I can see the delta between last year and this year in terms of how front end downforce has changed at LRP and WGI, but I'm also impulsive.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically it removes the low pressure zone of the center part of the hood and allows downforce over the front end instead of lift
Old 05-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Community Organizer

RS3s love around -3 degrees or more of camber. You're currently at -1, up front, if you are actually on a UK alignment. Take off your splitter, take off your wing, throw those vents in the tip, and go to an alignment shop and have them dial in some more camber. I am willing to guarantee personally that you will feel a much, much greater jump in turn-in, front end grip, and stability in every single situation just from doing that. You'll probably make your car faster, too, considering all that aero, with your current alignment, is pretty much just creating drag.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Yeah I was thinking around 3 degrees as well. As for the drag, it doesn't seem to be as substantial as I anticipated. At Watkins I lost about 1 mph compared to my best on the back straight. At Palmer's front straight I actually picked up speed and managed to get the car into 5th and max at 124mph before getting on the brakes. But I'm always open to further experimentation
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
​​​​​​​i believe they are a +1 intake mod as is any hole you cut into the hood but ultimately irrelevant as the letter classes disappear
We all know that TTC S2000s are generally on dyno reclasses, so that +1 goes away, but yeah generally we are assuming you are either on a reclass or actually have an aftermarket intake.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
If being installed purely for aerodynamic effect, I get it if your car is 100% dialed in and you know your setup well, but for the average trackdaybro that hasn't done squat in terms of setup and is clicking "add to cart" on all the cool looking race car parts?

You don't need hood vents, bro. Save your money and buy a contact pyrometer and a lap timer.

I couldn't agree more. The reality is though that some people like the modding and are just out there to have fun vs. actually trying to improve as a driver. I don't necessarily think it's "wrong," and it's their prerogative.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SlowTeg

I couldn't agree more. The reality is though that some people like the modding and are just out there to have fun vs. actually trying to improve as a driver. I don't necessarily think it's "wrong," and it's their prerogative.
I understand, and agree with your point. I don't need half the stuff I put on my car, but to come into this subforum and say that these vents are necessary for a track car? You gotta be shitting me. Spend $300 on a corner balance instead, and you tell me which you'd rather have. The thought that hood vents is anywhere close to being necessary is totally ****ing asinine.
The following users liked this post:
RussianHammer (05-11-2017)

Quick Reply: TrackSpec Hood Vents Installed