S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Turbo on Track?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo on Track?

Wanna hear from S owners with small turbo kits such as Greddy or similiar. I have a chance to snag a gen1 Greddy kit but also want to know how it performs on track.

If anyone can suggest a kit that can keep its power band up through the VTEC engagement and redline, that would be awesome. I've seen InlinePro and FullBlown kits but feel as though they would be to excessive for the application. I want something small to generate less heat but also enough power to get out of tight corners.

Additionally I know Greddy is coming out with a gen2 turbo kit and they use the Garrett GTX2867R with what looks like an upgraded manifold. Everything else is pretty much the same as the gen1 kit. So if anything, upgrade to the 2967R when the new kit comes out. But I digress...

Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I think Ptuning and Science of Speed have kits along the lines you mention. However, Ptuning builds in batches depending on demand; they just sold out of their last batch. SOS uses an internal wastegate but in an older design 5-bolt Garrett.

If you search in the Forced Induction forum yamahaSHO has a thread where he built a setup using a ram's horn manifold similar to the Ptuning and SOS kits but with a BW EFR turbo which has an internal wastegate, bov built into the compressor housing, and a 3-port boost solenoid on the compressor housing. The EFR is now a 9-year-old design and many feel the latest Garrett G-series (G25 and G42) and Precision Gen 2 turbos have more advanced compressor and turbine blade designs achieving comparable response without the EFR's titanium aluminide turbine wheel. However, the EFR has the most integration for a simple build.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...build-1167374/
Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

bottom mount on track car is the way to go. ptuning has by far the best kit available on the market for a track setup. it includes every last nut and bolt as well as a full line up of add ons like radiator and oil cooler, etc to truly have bolt on horsepower. the inline pro stage 1 is another great option. bot h of those are capable of well over 400whp. the greddy and its smaller turbo share the same great packaging and keeping the turbo and heat in the back bottom corner of the engine bay helping the heat sweap under the car vs heatsoaking the crap out of everything but it is very limited on power output. i want to say its in the 3-350whp range depending on fuel(330-350max on e85) maybe only 330 i cant recall.

i myself am piecing a kit together myself, not something i would suggest to someone with limited turbo knowledge, but i am using an inline pro cast stage 1 manifold. setup will be 500whp capable but plan to keep it closer to the 350-400whp for time attack. i am also utilizing a v-mount radiator setup, extensive ducting and a few other tricks to keep temps down. should be perfectly fine in my couple lap time attack sessions or a 20min hpde session. whatever kit you get your going to want to look into upgrading your cooling system for track use
Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

SOS is track tested and knowing the reputation they have, id put it up there at the top of the list for considerations. The main focus of their kit design was reliability and a broader power curve with less lag.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Did you ever get those SS brake lines installed?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
SOS is track tested and knowing the reputation they have, id put it up there at the top of the list for considerations. The main focus of their kit design was reliability and a broader power curve with less lag.
I have been looking at the SOS kit. I know their twin-scroll will help more with the lower power band.

Any thoughts on inline pro? I've heard great things from their kit.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Did you ever get those SS brake lines installed?
Yep got them the day before the track event. Felt a huge difference in stiffness.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by landapanda
I have been looking at the SOS kit. I know their twin-scroll will help more with the lower power band.

Any thoughts on inline pro? I've heard great things from their kit.
Inlinepro is a reputable company, however i'm not sure how that translates to product reliability on the track. Their manifold design is going to deliver a different powerband, being less responsive but more top end efficient once spooled, if 550+ is where your looking to be.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

There is more to it then twin scroll or not. A lot has to do with the design of the turbo and this has been evolving quickly. The other issue is plumbing. The SOS kit uses an internal wastegate; Ptuning has their wastegate dump tube merged into the downpipe. @yamahaSHO used a turbo with an internal watergate but unlike SOS it has a V-band exit rather than the old 5-bolt. It the EFR was designed to spool quickly but the Precision and new Garrett G are close or maybe just a tad better.

Many of the manifolds have longer tubes putting the turbo in front of the engine. That is probably a problem for a track car because of the mass of the turbo dangling out there.

But remember, you are doing a significant aftermarket mod to a 10-to-20-year-old car and then put in a continuous high-stress environment. With any kit, maybe a few people are doing the same...but it is far from saying these things have OEM levels of development. @yamahaSHO has his car done. @Mrsideways is doing a custom setup with a G25. His car is a full-bore track car with a K-24 engine. Both could provide good insights into making a fast, responsive turbo s2k for track days.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ptunings poor manifold design has massive boost creep issues, I had to install a roughly 1" wide plate restrictor in the end of my downpipe to keep boost controllable, the car still made good power but they simply did not merge the wastegate properly in the collector to flow well, other than that the kit is a good turn key solution. I haven't had any other significant issues.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2preivm.jpg

Last edited by sirbikealot7; 03-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo on Track?