S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Urge 2 piece rear rotors with stock front? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/urge-2-piece-rear-rotors-stock-front-1189915/)

s2kshepard 11-24-2018 03:53 PM

Urge 2 piece rear rotors with stock front?

Hey guys,

In the process of building my HPDE car, have a couple of events in now. I am not ready to do a BBK yet (my wheels don't clear, having trouble finding reasonable cost wheels that do and fit 255 tires).

Would Urge 2 piece rotors on the rear with stock fronts cause any issue (brake bias?)? I am attracted to the reduced heat on my wheel bearings and their documented reliability.

Thanks, appreciate all your experience.

Bama Dave 11-24-2018 04:19 PM

Tire Rack TCM C3 17x9 +62 offset can handle the 255-40-17 tires. About $183.00 each shipped. No rubbing at stock ride height. Don’t think those will handle a BBK. Check them out.

s2kshepard 11-24-2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave (Post 24536569)
Tire Rack TCM C3 17x9 +62 offset can handle the 255-40-17 tires. About $183.00 each shipped. No rubbing at stock ride height. Check them out.

Those are the wheels I have and for the price they are great, but they don't clear a BBK as far as I am aware.

lookstoomuch 11-24-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by s2kshepard (Post 24536568)
Would Urge 2 piece rotors on the rear with stock fronts cause any issue (brake bias?)?

Nope. Good kit as far as I can tell and great starting point by improving the weakeast link in the system....although I don't personally have any empirical data to back that up.

Keep in mind they are thicker than stock rears as such you'll need to file down new pads somehow or order custom thickness.

BoboTheMonkey 11-25-2018 01:20 PM

Wouldn't cause any kind of brake bias issue, since the pads and rotor diameter are the same size as stock. Only the thickness changes. I wonder if you lose a bit of heat capacity, because I'm sure they had to use less overall material in order to make it slotted. The cooling factor would heavily outweigh the loss of metal mass though. It says on the site, you gain more capacity, but I really think they mean you gain more cooling ability.They are wider, so I suppose it is certainly possible. I have the SOS front directional vaned rotors and even though they are factory size, the cooling ability goes up and they have worked much better for me. I ducted my rears and stayed with a solid disc. I think the flow rotors would be a solid choice unless you are a very good driver in a very high power car.

Chibo 11-25-2018 02:52 PM

I've got 25 days on a set, I like them a lot and I think they are worth the money -- especially if you're destroying front rotors and vaporizing pads in days.

DanielB 11-26-2018 08:09 AM

I have 17 days on the URGE rears and am also very happy so far. As for inexpensive wheels that clear a front BBK, I went with the Nurburgrings in 17x9 +60 and they cleared the SBG Wilwood kit without spacers. I believe they will also clear the Stoptech with ST40 caliper. At ~$1k for the set, I couldn't find a less expensive wheel with clearance. Around this time of year Discount Tire sometimes has additional savings for tire/wheel packages.

thomsbrain 11-26-2018 08:45 AM

I have the RacingBrake rear BBK and stock fronts and it works fine. Perhaps a tad too much rear bias, but I kinda like the car to rotate when trailbraking, so it doesn't bother me too much. Rear pad and bearing life increased dramatically, and front pad life improved, too, because they were no longer doing double the work trying to make up for the rears.

Chibo 11-26-2018 10:53 AM

I am running a DTC-60 / HP+ split with these and it works well for me. I also do not experience the heavy rotor cracking / pad vaporization I hear from other people on otherwise stock brakes. My first set of HP+ rear pads lasted 20 days... and do note that they had to be shaved to fit.

Xene 11-30-2018 06:33 PM

The urge rear floating rotors are fine to match with OEM front calipers and rotor. The rear rotor diameter and rear pad size do not change with the Urge kit, so brake bias won't be affected. I highly recommend this upgrade since your rear rotors won't be 500+ F and boil your brake fluid. After experience with this kit, I feel just changing the rear rotors to vented ones will fix the unreliable performance of oem braking system since the rears won't boil the brake fluid anymore. The front's typically did not have an issue with heat because the rotor is vented stock and large.