S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

URGE Flow Rear Rotors Review

Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default URGE Flow Rear Rotors Review

Hello all, just wanted to post a short review of my Urge Flow rear rotors.

Background: I have an AP2 that serves as my DD and I only get to track my car about 3-4 times per year. Mods include square R-S3 on 17x9s, coilovers, fsb, hfc, and stock motor. For brakes I have s.s. lines, Project Mu HC+800 pads f/r and their brake fluid with everything else stock.

So last November I was at Chuckwalla raceway and noticed after each session that my rear brakes were smoking quite a bit. I can’t say I was surprised because I know how ‘underbraked’ the S2000 can be with just a square setup and stickier tires. Even before Chuckwalla my brake setup wasn’t up to par, especially at Auto Club Speedway. After some research I decided to go with the Urge rotors. I like that it’s a 2-piece vented rotor with the same OEM diameter (but 4.5 mm wider). I needed a solution that would maintain OEM f/r balance with my stock front setup as well as maintain my e-brake. I couldn’t justify a front BBK upgrade at the moment considering how often I track but it is an option I’m considering in the future, perhaps with more seat/track time.

I finally got to test them out last month at ACS. With several heavy braking zones it is well known for being brutal on your brakes. I did four 20-min sessions and noticed no smoking from the rear brakes after each session. I am by no means a ‘fast’ driver so I only get up to around 120mph right before Turn 1. Normally with stock rear rotors I would experience extreme brake fade towards the end of each session but with the Urge rotors there was barely any fading throughout each session. Because the stock rotors are solid I believe they start to overheat towards the end of each session which forces the fronts to work even harder. Although I don’t have any empirical data or a solid baseline I do know that my last set of front rotors lasted 15k DD miles with 3 track events in between during a 12 month span before they needed replacement. With this setup I should be able to go a bit longer before I need to replace my front rotors and will continue to monitor the condition of the rotors before and after each track event.

Overall I am happy with my upgrade and performed as I expected with improved braking, reduced weight, and maintaining brake balance. Moreover the customer service has been top notch and Patrick at Urge has kept up with communication even after the sale. All things considered, it’s been worth every penny.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This along with other feedback confirms our theory that the OEM Rears essentially fade after a few laps on hard tracks. After the rears go beyond their operating limits, the fronts take on more braking power and head into a high deterioration operation range.

After our original tester with 500+ HP noted his BBK wear reduced by 50% with our rear kit, we realized that essentially the rears did little to nothing. Keeping the rears cool and the car balanced reduces stress and wear on the fronts. So much that certain tracks and with near stock power, our rear kit keeps the OEMs operating with in their limits.

Another proof point on the rear issues is that we have had 2 of our customers with Front BBKs completely seize the rears calipers due to operating temps and continuous racing. Both noted improved Front performance and dramatically reduced Front and Rear Brake wear and cooler rears with our rear kit. And it is under $800!

Overall, we improve the brake balance, reduce weight, reduce wear, reduce costs and improve safety.

We have sold 43 sets of 2 piece rear rotors in a little over a year and just got another batch in. Let us know if we can help.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys using one new/one used pad? Or shaving pads to fit?
Curious to know what process is recommended to shave the pads so it's flat and parallel to the backing plate.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ti3d in
Are you guys using one new/one used pad? Or shaving pads to fit?
Curious to know what process is recommended to shave the pads so it's flat and parallel to the backing plate.
Luckily I still had some pad life (50%) on my current set. So I bought a new set and used one new/one used pad. If you wanted to shave the pads to get it flat and parallel I would suggest taking them to a machine shop. Although I know some who have shaved down pads by hand using sand paper.