S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

VSA, VSA Activation, ABS Lights ON

Old 02-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Those are OEM discs? (Not seen CR brakes myself and curious.)

-- Chuck
Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

- I didn't think much of it initially, but the wheel speed sensor (the magnetic bit) isn't complete over the metal ring that is indented (which I suppose is used to calculate wheel speed)
- If the sensor doesn't overligh it competely and doesn't read, I suspect that the car may not be getting a wheel speed reading and the ecu shuts down the abs/vsa...
I'd fix that.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is not a club racer.
EBC rotors.
- previous owner had them installed
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by freq
I'd fix that.
- I am worried about unintended consequences of only having one functional wheel speed sensor (assuming I am correct).
- How will this affect front/rear braking bias?
- How will this affect left/right braking bias (some abs allow for modulation of left and right before lock-up)?
- Will the car behave as if the fuses for ABS/VSA/ABS where pulled?
- Has anyone pulled the fuses for any reasons?

Also,
- Who hear runs without a passenger seat?
- Does this trigger the airbag light--becuase in my case it seems to do so,
Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

A few thoughts. I was always under the assumption that pulling the clock spring under the airbag in the steering wheel is what disables VSA. Not the actual act of removing an airbag. Removing airbags and/or the clockspring, however, does not disable ABS. That I can confirm. My race car has no clockspring or airbags, but fully functioning ABS.

So, maybe your issues are singularly connected to your wheel sensor, which can deactivate ABS. And maybe therefore VSA? However, maybe you have 2 separate issues. Try reconnecting the passenger airbag sensor, then do the VSA reset. See if that cures the VSA issue. If not, I'd lean to the wheel sensor issue causing both.

The cracked rotor is very normal. Happens less frequently with brake ducts, but can still happen. GIro Disc 2 piece direct replacement rotors will give you much more rotor life, at a price. Otherwise, just replace with Centric blanks. I think plain discs, without slots, also last longer.

lastly, consider listing your general location, or go into one of the sub forums for the area you live in. Post there and see if anyone has a scanner that reads body codes. I don't think it has to be the Honda tool. I have an Innova brand scannner that does body codes, and I've used it to diagnose a bad abs sensor before. Just can't remember if it was on my car, or a friends 05.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueBarchetta:
Birdybog (08-09-2018), Bullwings (09-13-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Blue,

In Colorado.

I've tried placing the passenger seat back in with connectors attached and done VSA reset.
In my car (AP2-2006) this re-enabled the airbag (light airbag light went off), but VSA , /!\, and ABS indicators remain on.
The axle is the only thing that I have not yet reverted (either the senor isn't reading because I damaged it or the sensor is can't read due improper alignment)
Regarding the wheel sensor, I know for a fact that the ABS uses wheel sensor information (see 2000-03 service manual page19-45).
- and most likely either vsa requires abs or it requires wheel sensor data

Ill look into an Innova Brand Tool. I have an ODB2 reader, and that has not been able to give me any useful information
Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You might have a stuck brake fluid level sensor. This happened to me a while back and I had to replace the master cylinder. I don't remember if the other lights came on but that managed to fix it for me.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 PM

I'll look into the brake fluid sensor.
- VSA and /!\ on but on the threads I'm seeing i don't see a mention of ABS
- Where is the brake fluid sensor?
- I don't have a "float" on the cap, just the soft black rubber seal
- I'm away the car but I don't recall and wires near the resivoior either.
- Is there some sort of connector/harness on the master brake cylinder?

I plan on getting an Innova Scan Tool (3100--seems to read abs/SRS information).
- this may elucidate the problem
- if not, I may end up swapping the axle.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It might not be a float sensor but you most definitely 100% have wires coming out of it. It comes out of the driver side of the reservoir.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by auric
Blue,

In Colorado.

I've tried placing the passenger seat back in with connectors attached and done VSA reset.
In my car (AP2-2006) this re-enabled the airbag (light airbag light went off), but VSA , /!\, and ABS indicators remain on.
The axle is the only thing that I have not yet reverted (either the senor isn't reading because I damaged it or the sensor is can't read due improper alignment)
Regarding the wheel sensor, I know for a fact that the ABS uses wheel sensor information (see 2000-03 service manual page19-45).
- and most likely either vsa requires abs or it requires wheel sensor data

Ill look into an Innova Brand Tool. I have an ODB2 reader, and that has not been able to give me any useful information
I'm also fairly certain VSA requires working ABS. However, im positive ABS doesn't require working VSA. Certainly check the brake issues others have suggested. However, I think you're on the right track with possible bad ABS sensor, or something in the ABS system as the root cause.

Just tossing ideas; Try posting in the Colorado forum see if someone has a reader. Have you tried calling local parts stores stores to see if they have a diagnostic tool that can read body codes? If they have them, most will do it for free. Or try a smaller independent mechanic that does Japanese cars, see if they have a reader. Maybe they'd do the diagnostic fairly cheap, or at least cheaper than a dealer.

Quick Reply: VSA, VSA Activation, ABS Lights ON