S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Want to pick up a track duty s2k, looking for info

Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to pick up a track duty s2k, looking for info

This isnt a WTB but rather a request to help me find track down a specific kind of s2k. This forum is a great resource but I know there are other forums where I can probably find what I want as well, I just dont know of any and could use a little direction. Perhaps some on you here know of cars that would suit my needs that are listed elsewhere. What I want: An S2k for track/autocross duty that I can drive to/from the track on its own. I am not looking to race it competively so I don't need a full race setup, I can be competitive but mostly want to have fun and be safe about it.

I have a daily driver already and do not need one so I am fine with one that has been stripped down somewhat, would prefer if it already has a rollbar installed like a Hard Dog but not full race cage so it can be street driven legally. It does have to appear street legal so I can drive to events 1-3hrs away. This car will be purely a toy and at the same time I dont want to tow it to events nor wish to purchase a tow vehicle and trailer. Looking to keep it simple here. For track duty would I be fine with just a rollbar , fresh fluid and a good set of tires ? For brake pads are there options available that will not fade with moderate track use but at the same time be suitable for street driving ? When I say track duty I mean lapping days and driving schools.

I want something that will be very reliable and wont need a ton of prep time. I imagine the closer to OEM the better, no forced induction for example. What are the engine/transmission lifespan like ? Should I stay under XXX miles or would a high mileage (100k+) example be just fine for my needs ? Assuming it has been well taken care of, but that applies to any car IMO regardless of mileage. My budget on this would be 10k, not including a fresh set of tires and pads. Does this sound reasonable ?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Me-262
This isnt a WTB but rather a request to help me find track down a specific kind of s2k. This forum is a great resource but I know there are other forums where I can probably find what I want as well, I just dont know of any and could use a little direction. Perhaps some on you here know of cars that would suit my needs that are listed elsewhere. What I want: An S2k for track/autocross duty that I can drive to/from the track on its own. I am not looking to race it competively so I don't need a full race setup, I can be competitive but mostly want to have fun and be safe about it.

I have a daily driver already and do not need one so I am fine with one that has been stripped down somewhat, would prefer if it already has a rollbar installed like a Hard Dog but not full race cage so it can be street driven legally. It does have to appear street legal so I can drive to events 1-3hrs away. This car will be purely a toy and at the same time I dont want to tow it to events nor wish to purchase a tow vehicle and trailer. Looking to keep it simple here. For track duty would I be fine with just a rollbar , fresh fluid and a good set of tires ? For brake pads are there options available that will not fade with moderate track use but at the same time be suitable for street driving ? When I say track duty I mean lapping days and driving schools.

I want something that will be very reliable and wont need a ton of prep time. I imagine the closer to OEM the better, no forced induction for example. What are the engine/transmission lifespan like ? Should I stay under XXX miles or would a high mileage (100k+) example be just fine for my needs ? Assuming it has been well taken care of, but that applies to any car IMO regardless of mileage. My budget on this would be 10k, not including a fresh set of tires and pads. Does this sound reasonable ?
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/2846525779.html

Ill take a small finders fee.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does not sound reasonable. Unless you want something salvaged or high miles.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't like my Miata???
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my daily miata.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Nice but not looking for a Miata thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Youre gonna spend $ 14-20K to get what you described. $10,000 gets you a 100,000+ mile car ot a salvage title bone stock car.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're new to everything, then get a stock S2000 and put good street tires and a swaybar on it. Autocross in Street tire B-stock for a season or two. Do Evo schools. Adding an SCCA roll bar later is allowed even in stock autocross class. Then you can prep to STR rules and have a pretty nice track car.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your budget?
Are you willing to travel to get the car? If so, how far?
Are you prepping for a certain class in autocross?

It'll be hard to find an S2000 with an aftermarket rollbar unless you're specifically looking on Classifieds section of track forums (www.trackhq.com for example) I would go with CKit's post above mine. Start stock and get the basic necessities for the track and go from there.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Keep em coming guys, cold truth is better than warm dreams. How big a deal is high mileage, I mean its a Honda right ? I plan on doing plenty of autocross the first year to get a good feel on handling in a safe environment. I read a lot of the snap oversteer issues but Im willing to be a lot of that is bad driver and bald tires. In any case we also have a great BMW driving school at the local track that I would attend. Ive gone a couple of times in my Subaru and the instruction is top notch.

If I can get one for 10k Id be happy. Part of this price tag is my willing to sacrifice price if I write it off. I could live with that while Id be a tad upset to trash a 20k car, which is why I want to retire my daily driver Subaru from this role. Will I travel to buy one, Sure !! I flew out to buy my last two cars , for the right car I'll travel anywhere, can always have it shipped cross country for $800-1000 in any case. Rollbar isnt a must have, just a freebie bonus since I plan on putting one in. I'm not thinking the s2k will hold up well upside down without one. Classing in autocross isnt an issue, I really dont care what class I get stuck in as I am there to have fun.

My plans for year one would be simply to learn the drive the car, new tires like Star Specs and a solid set of pads. I am a bit nervous taking it to a track without a rollbar. Is the Hard Dog an easy DIY ? Im ok with tools but no mechanic.

All good info here !

Quick Reply: Want to pick up a track duty s2k, looking for info