S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wanted to get opinion about going to track in rain

Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to get opinion about going to track in rain

I registered for BeaveRun tommorow but looking at the forecast, its a 80% chance of thunderstorms. I was planning on leaving tonight, and racing all day tommorow but don't know if I really want to push my car when its super wet out.

Wanted to see if anyone has track experience while it was raining and how it was. Did you spin out or come close to it more than you regularly would?

Just want to get an opinion, I can lose $50 if I cancel today or just go and see how it works out.

thanks. Nik.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never done a track day in the rain, but I've done auto-x in the rain and I absolutely love it. You get to the limits quite a bit easier, and it really makes you pay extra attention to how smooth you are with the throttle and brakes.

I say go for it... it's not like you have to push your car any harder than you feel comfortable with.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no problem with the rain so long as you have the right tires for it. It's good experience but it all defends on what you are up for. If you don't want to drive in the rain then cancel. If you think it would be fun and good experience then you should go.

Tracking in the rain leads to a couple of things:

1) when someone goes off-track it makes a mess and takes longer to sort out because they usually get stuck
2) very little traffic as most people bail out or leave early

I'd suggest just taking it easy until you get the feel for it. 80% chance of thunderstorms means that there will be thunderstorms at some point but you may get 6 hours of beautiful dry sunshine first
Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 AM

Yeah I've decided I will go, the only thin I am scared of is one of the turns which I usually take at 70ish, and a spin out at that speed is not good at all.

I've done autox in the rain as well but its totally different than track in the rain since you are actually going fast.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:17 PM

Have fun, and don't forget to post your experience!

PS...your car sounds awesome!!!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:27 PM

you only have one turn to worry about there... just keep it under 100 around turn 9

and you might get lucky for most of the day... Ive been checking the weather relgiously for other reasons and it looks like alot of breaks in pittsburgh
Old 06-25-2006, 03:32 PM
mts

I've tracked a few times in the rain mostly the learn the limits of the car in the wet. That being said, for lapping days in the rain I pass now. Just not worth the risk and I don't have much fun in the rain anyway. Go, maybe you'll get lucky with the weather. If it does rain, just take it easy, or pack up and try again another day.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven one event in the rain. By far, the least fun I've had at the track, but that's because I didn't have any visible tread lines in my V700s. It was still a good learning experience. The good thing was, I was understeering on every corner, not oversteering.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM

I just got brand new bf goodrich TDA's all around and they are great in the rain [knocks on wood] so we'll see. I can't really just pick up and leave because the track is 4 hours away.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tracked my car in the rain a lot. I also did $26K damage to it on the track in the rain, in an incident that would not have happened in the dry. Just FYI.

It's true that you can learn a lot and have a lot of fun in the rain, but take it seriously. In my case, the slick turns were no problem -- the problem was that I underestimated the danger of the standing water on the "safe and easy" front straightaway.

One other bit of advice: no matter what you paid for the track time, stay in the paddock if you feel like that's the right thing to do. Never go out on the track against your better judgment just because you already paid for it.

Quick Reply: Wanted to get opinion about going to track in rain