S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Water cooled turbo options

Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
The only question I have is when are you putting a turbo on your S?
A little sneak peek...... hope to have it all completed by the end of the year.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut

You've sure been taking your time with your turbo build.. I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
You've sure been taking your time with your turbo build.. I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm looking forward to it!
When I'm not working 60+ hr weeks anymore, it'll go faster
Old 07-28-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Curious about your design decisions...decidedly different from what I would have done.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Curious about your design decisions...decidedly different from what I would have done.
I’m curious as well. Wouldn’t you want some length to the runnners? Not anything crazy but something to at least get equal length runners. This looks great from a packaging standpoint and making sure as much heat as possible makes it to the turbo but am curious as to what this does for exhaust flow out of the cylinder head.

Disclaimer: this is only one view so I might be looking at this wrong/not seeing the full picture.

Also, are you making engineering drawings and then sending them out to a fabrication shop?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by s2kfinesse

I’m curious as well. Wouldn’t you want some length to the runnners? Not anything crazy but something to at least get equal length runners. This looks great from a packaging standpoint and making sure as much heat as possible makes it to the turbo but am curious as to what this does for exhaust flow out of the cylinder head.

Disclaimer: this is only one view so I might be looking at this wrong/not seeing the full picture.

Also, are you making engineering drawings and then sending them out to a fabrication shop?
I purposely did not want to show too much. Still tweaking some things with flow paths and runner geometries and such.

Design brief: for use in a primarily street car. So, response and reliability over max power. Packaging which minimizes relocation of components; I'm designing it around the Hasport engine mount. It will keep the stock black heat shield which protects the A/C line, battery, electrical box. The only thing that needs to be relocated is the oil filter to clear space for the compressor intake tube.

So why not the PTuning? It doesn't quite meet my packaging requirements and it has boost control/creep issues. Why not the SOS TSMax? It doesn't have a good top-end because I feel their manifold design is too restrictive. And I'll be using the G25-660, 0.72 A/R. So.... that's all I want to say at this point

Old 07-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I purposely did not want to show too much. Still tweaking some things with flow paths and runner geometries and such.

Design brief: for use in a primarily street car. So, response and reliability over max power. Packaging which minimizes relocation of components; I'm designing it around the Hasport engine mount. It will keep the stock black heat shield which protects the A/C line, battery, electrical box. The only thing that needs to be relocated is the oil filter to clear space for the compressor intake tube.

So why not the PTuning? It doesn't quite meet my packaging requirements and it has boost control/creep issues. Why not the SOS TSMax? It doesn't have a good top-end because I feel their manifold design is too restrictive. And I'll be using the G25-660, 0.72 A/R. So.... that's all I want to say at this point
Awesome, excited to see it finished. Always enjoy your projects. Debating on changing my setup a bit myself and am looking at the G25-660 and the EFR 7163.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 PM

What fuel and power level are you aiming for? Is it a bolt on or complete engine build? What fuel are you planing to use?

Awesome, excited to see it finished. Always enjoy your projects. Debating on changing my setup a bit myself and am looking at the G25-660 and the EFR 7163.

You may find Borg Warner's Matchbot useful: Performance Turbos | BorgWarner Turbo Systems
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
What fuel and power level are you aiming for? Is it a bolt on or complete engine build? What fuel are you planing to use?
Cali 91 oct only. New rods and 9.5 CR pistons. Targeting 500hp crank, so ~15psi of boost. Planning to use a Magnaflow 3" cat. Because of my boundary conditions of only using 91 oct and increased exhaust restriction due to the cat, I have to drop the CR from stock to make any serious power.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:58 PM

Cali 91 oct only. New rods and 9.5 CR pistons. Targeting 500hp crank, so ~15psi of boost. Planning to use a Magnaflow 3" cat. Because of my boundary conditions of only using 91 oct and increased exhaust restriction due to the cat, I have to drop the CR from stock to make any serious power.
Are you planning on turbo cams or re-timing OEM to turbo settings? Are you planning on thermal coatings (valves faces, combustion chamber, piston crown, exhaust port) to lower surface temps?

What engine speed do you anticipate? I was finding when trying to spec a configuration for that power level from 3L it was hard to find a turbo to produce the flow with a low pressure ratio (12-14psig MAP). It looks like you plan a slightly higher pressure ratio. Have you mapped it to compressor maps and looked at the turbine expansion ratio? BW has both in Matchbot. It sobering when looking for high HP at low boost levels.

Sidebar: if replacing pistons are you considering abradable coatings for the skirt or gapless top ring to reduce blowby? Is 125hp/cylinder within the range of the OEM rods or does that risk bending rods from excessive ignition advance at lower engine speeds?

Quick Reply: Water cooled turbo options