S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What is a better value than S2000 for dd/hpde

Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hwyix
@freq Why an integra for w2w? Is the car class better? Cheaper to run?
Price. Support. And Honda Challenge w/ NASA is all I'd consider running anyway.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

If something happens to my S2000 I'll probably be replacing it with a FRS.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by miamirice
My list:

k20/24 Civic - Significantly faster around a track

Love my s2000 but it feels pretty sluggish against my civic. The shock factor of slaying C6, e36m3, 996 with a Civic never gets old.

What's wrong with your S2000? I enjoy doing the same thing, but with my s2k not a civic. Just cant get enthused about a FWD. Maybe you need to throw a few bucks at the S2k and get it tuned properly? Seems like there is usually one civic out there that gives me a good run for the money so they can be capable, but still more limited then where you can take an S2k if budget allows. It is satisfying passing more powerful cars during a session, agreed. Basically what I'm saying is, you already own the best most practical track weapon for the money. A c5 isn't a bad option for the money/cost/performance though either. But they have their compromises in other areas, which myself am not keen on and why I don't own one. You do want to enjoy what your driving, or there is little point.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Surprised not more C5 Z06 comments. Grassroots motorsports touted them as a very capable, fast, and ready to track platform recently. I was very close to purchasing getting one but not sure I'm ready to give up my S2000 and replace it. Thought crossed my mind of owning both for a bit then remembered I'm married w/two kids.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 04-06-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

The orgs I run with locally have a bunch of C5s, it seems like they are stupid quick, cheap, and reliable. Just not my style in terms of power delivery, but if it fits you then they are a good option.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

One thing if the C5 is a dedicated track car trailered to the event. But I think most of us prefer to street a S2k and double duty. I have no enthusiasm for owning/driving a c5.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Surprised not more C5 Z06 comments. Grassroots motorsports touted them as a very capable, fast, and ready to track platform recently. I was very close to purchasing getting one but not sure I'm ready to give up my S2000 and replace it. Thought crossed my mind of owning both for a bit then remembered I'm married w/two kids.
Consumables are much more expensive. Sold my AP1 for a C5 Z06, went back to an S2000 when I found a clean GPW AP2.
The following users liked this post:
robrob (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Consumables are much more expensive. Sold my AP1 for a C5 Z06, went back to an S2000 when I found a clean GPW AP2.
This. Tires, brakes, etc get spendy quick. I thought briefly of one, and my own one later on, but for something you are wearing consumables out on quickly it can add up fast.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
What's wrong with your S2000? I enjoy doing the same thing, but with my s2k not a civic. Just cant get enthused about a FWD. Maybe you need to throw a few bucks at the S2k and get it tuned properly? Seems like there is usually one civic out there that gives me a good run for the money so they can be capable, but still more limited then where you can take an S2k if budget allows. It is satisfying passing more powerful cars during a session, agreed. Basically what I'm saying is, you already own the best most practical track weapon for the money. A c5 isn't a bad option for the money/cost/performance though either. But they have their compromises in other areas, which myself am not keen on and why I don't own one. You do want to enjoy what your driving, or there is little point.
nothing wrong with my s2000. I kept a lightly modded low miles 2004. I sold my caged H1 s2000. My 229 whp/2200 lbs civic on a mediocre day is faster than either of the 200 WHPish/2700 lbs s2000’s on a good day.

The OP asked about daily driven/occasional track. A civic hatch is incredible practice in daily life. Kmotors are abundant and easy to drop into a civic. They are also super lively and flexible. My concern with any S2000 picked up now is either it’s expensive or it’s likely to need a motor soon. S2000 motors on eBay are a crap shoot (ask me how I know). Putting a motor in the s2000 is like 2 days at the D.M.V.

I hear you on wrong wheel drive but there is a fun factor to lifting at 7000-9000 rpm and then catching the rear before it’s infront of you.

I instructed for corvette driving experience in C5’s and they are bruits. The only reason I don’t suggest c5 is consumables. They are bullet proof and fun.

Everybody is going to have different ideas on checking the boxes that are important to them. I think the e36 is a wonderfully docile yet capable car with a real trunk and real back seat.

For snybody thinking FRS/BRZ....get into the car with a helmet and be sure you fit.

I will never sell my s2000.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I agree on this. Sure you can swap a motor in and make a lot of power (you can make a lot of power in an S2k as well .. so the comparison of a motor swapped civic to a stock S2k is not a good one) but you still drive home in a FWD civic :P I would much rather be driving my S2k around on stock power, which is way more fun to me than beating on a FWD car. Just me, but that is my feel on it. On the double duty side of it, yes, a newer model civic (the older "good" si models in any sort of competitive prep are like torture on city streets) is going to be better at getting groceries ... because it is a grocery getter. So it depends on what you really want I guess, but I would never pick a FWD over my S2k for my toy car.

Quick Reply: What is a better value than S2000 for dd/hpde