S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wiring system for a race car Wiring system on a diet

Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring system for a race car Wiring system on a diet

Folks, I have searched but could not find a project on how to remove the unnecessary wires from a dedicated track car. I am referring to AC control wires, automatic windows, front head lights and so on. I only would like to keep my rear lights, ECU and of course engine harness.

I am thinking of removing all harness then removing unwanted wires wrap everything back and install again. I am not an electric engineer and I am not savvy when it comes to wiring : / However, if I remove the unwanted wires by tracing what have been unplugged this should do the trick no? I know it will require a lot of work but all my unplugged wires now are wrapped in a giant bundle zip tied. Wiring is getting out of hand and it seems always in the way.

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm no expert by any means, but it sounds to me like you have the right idea. Maybe relating the wiring back to the wiring diagrams to double check your work as you go.

A friend of mine lost several pounds of wiring off his VR4 this way.. lol
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should be very competent with wiring diagrams before attempting this. You should not just go based on what a wire or harness was plugged into. It might surprise you where some things get their power/signal from. You need to be 100% sure what you're removing isn't necessary, particularly when you're making these changes with the harness outside the car, where it's not possible to test the remaining functions.

I understand the desire to shed some weight for free, but it seems like overkill, to be honest. There's certainly no going back after this. I'm not here to judge, though. You certainly have more dedication than I do. I would not envy someone learning this kind of thing on such a modern car.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing special about the wiring harness in an s2000. I've done this for a portion of the harness. It was a TON of work for arguably no reward. I did it because I'm very organized and I didn't like the fact that there were a number of unused wires.

I wouldn't attempt this on a CANBUS car, but on the s2000 it's straightforward... just tedious.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM

It’s not exactly for saving weight but rather the wiring is getting out of hand. Looking at the diagrams it looks pretty straight forward but as mentioned ton of work.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing this to my car as we speak.
its a pita.
I removed all unnecessary wires from my engine harness like 02 sensors, iac, blabla basically anything the aem does not look at.
as for the inside of the car I have removed everything and am installing a IQ3 dash and custom switch panel.

there are lots of wires that you dont think you need but if you cut strange things will happen.
so the only way to really do it right is remove all and rewire.

yes you can cut out the air bag, ac, heat, and all that wire but once you get into the dashboard wire harnesses thats where things get interesting.
there is for instance the ELD wiring which goes from the under dash box to the under hood box and has points along the way that branch off.
if the eld wiring is not hooked up car will not start....

just some foods for thought.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Can't wait to see pictures of it crash!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Are you sure you don't want to keep your headlights? What if you find that you end up wanting to run an enduro event later in the future as you progress...?

Track car or auto-x car? Or, just for fun whatever car not necessarily built to specific class specs?

It seems like something that is difficult to reverse and not worth the trouble depending on your intentions for the car.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Me either Josh,
I have been working on it in my spare time which is hard to come by sometimes.
wish it would be as pimp as Shads work but is not.
at least I will have more pooowwwaaaa lol
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM

My track car is an '07, there's a couple of plugs I'd like to disconnect, and I'd like to strip out just the rear harness.
My Airbags are removed, as well as the stock seat belts and bulkhead.

These, I'm assuming are the front airbag sensors, I'd like them gone so I can use their mounting locations for my splitter bracket/radiator shrouding:

This is some sort of passenger seat sensor I'd like to remove:

Here, the grey plug connects the rear harness to the dash or main harness, if it can go I'd be stoked, and I have no clue what the "cluster sensor" is for, or whether I can disconnect it, I'd like to:

There is also a small airbag harness under the dash I'd like to remove, i've done a bit of work under the dash already, so that I can remove the dashboard assy. without touching the harness. As it stands, my approach is going to be to unplug stuff and drive around for a while till I know there's no danger in stripping the plugs out of the harness.

Anyone who'd like to share some '06+ wisdom with me would be my Hero.

Dylan

Quick Reply: Wiring system for a race car Wiring system on a diet