S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Year end parts review

Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Year end parts review

I had an excellent track season and my freshly built AP2 held up great. You can ready about the car in my build thread here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/automoti...hread-1178108/

There is a ton of information on this forum about a number of components. Here is a run-down of what I used, how long it lasted, and my thoughts. Hopefully this information can be helpful to people doing new builds or changing up parts!

Total miles from when I started the build (March/April 2017) to my last track day last week was 4,400 miles. I did 16 days on track and 65 total sessions. These were a combination of TT sessions (15 min) and HPDE sessions (20-25min)

This car is street driven only to and from the track.

Engine:

PLM Header, AEM V2 intake, high flow cat, T1R-ES Exhaust. I dyno’ed the car at InlinePro and it made 214RWHP. All these parts worked well and have been documented to make power for years. Maintenance wise I used Castrol 0W40 that I purchased from Amazon. I did oil changes every 1000-1500 miles and every 3-5 track days. I sent my oil off to Blackstone and everything came back healthy and they advised me I can go longer on my changes.

Cooling:

Mishimoto Oil Cooler and radiator. Both worked fine, no issues, no overheating. Not much to say here.

Braking:

I keep track of days and sessions on my pads, rotors, and fluids. My setup is as follows:

Front: Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK with APR cooling ducts. Carbotech XP12 pads.

Rear: Stock with Urge 2-piece rear rotors. No cooling. Carbotech XP12 pads.

Fluid: Castrol SRF.

The Castrol SRF fluid is just incredible. I didn’t change it all season and it never required bleeding. I used Motul and ATE in the past which worked ok but required bleeding every weekend. Spend the money, Castrol SRF is well worth it.

The braking system on this car is just incredible. I found running XP12s all around to give me the best balance on this car. Here are the stats:

Front Rotors: 63 sessions. Plenty of life remaining.

Rear Rotors: 101 sessions. Plenty of life remaining.

Carbotech XP12 pads F/R: I got 30-33 sessions out of rears and 35-38 sessions out of the fronts.

Suspension:

AST4150 700/650 springs. This setup is 5 years old and has moved car to car with me. Works very. It is time for a rebuild now though. I will just be rebuilding them and not changing anything because I am very happy with their performance. I use them with stock sway bars.

Wheels/Tires:

I bought two sets of 949 Racing 17x10 6ULs this year. One for my RC1s and one for my Hoosier R7s. They aren’t the best-looking wheel but they are light, cheap, strong, and fit the S2000 perfect.

MAXXIS RC1: I’ve used NT01s on all my track cars for years. They are an awesome 100TW tires you can drive on till they cord. There are no heat cycle issues with them and I always drove to and from the track. I would get about 8-10 days out of these. I was hesitant to try the RC1 since NT01s worked so great for me but I am happy to report they are a as good and maybe slightly better tire then the NT01. I have 2800 total miles and 39 heat cycles on them with plenty of rubber remaining and no degradation of performance from heat cycles. I am very impressed by their longevity. They have to be driven a bit tidier then the NT01s but I think they are marginally faster by maybe .1-.3 seconds. Also, Maxxis has excellent contingency!

Hoosier R7: Not much to say here since I just used them for the first time this weekend and I was on scrubs. They are 2 seconds faster than at the very least compared to RC1s at Summit. The grip is unreal. These help me secured two 1st place finishes last weekend which got me another set for free!

Trans/Fluid/Diff Fluids: Just using the standard stuff here. SRF for the clutch, Honda MTL for the trans, and Mobil 1 for the diff. All fluids swapped out at the beginning of the season and again in the middle.

Mounts: Both of my OEM engine mounts were torn in half. I didn’t want the engine vibration from stiff mounts but also didn’t want the motor and trans to move around much. My solution was to go with new OEM mounts, Ingalls Engine Dampener, and Innovative 75A transmission mount. This setup worked great. The harness is just slightly more than stock because of the 75A trans mount but totally bearable. I have nice cushiony engine mounts but the engine does not rock due to the dampener.

Oiling: Stock pan! From my experience with these cars, just monitor the oil levels and the stock pan works perfectly well. I haven’t had any oiling issues and have had 7 S2000s now. The stock pan is very well designed and the oil pick up is extremely low in the pan. I use a Saikou Michi dual catch can that works great. I got their extension kit so while the capacity of the can is small, its quick and easy to drain without any tools.

Safety: Sparco Pro ADV driver seat with PCI fixed bracket. This seat and bracket setup work great and I was able to install it without modifying anything. I’ve seen and used a lot of brackets and the PCI setup is my favorite. The seat is also fairly comfortable even on 5hr drives to the track.

Aero:
I ended up taking the splitters and canards off for points. They were cheap and flexiable and I noticed no difference with them off or on. I went with the J’s racing replica wing they sell on ebay for about $700. This wing is really high quality and works great! Other then my hardtop, this is the only other replica part on my car. I couldn’t justify spending $1500+ on a real wing when this one works the same and is good quality.

On to some picture and video whoring!

Last weekend at Summit. This is the S2000 lap record here. It was also going to be the TTC all time lap record until I spun and DQ’d in the end!

Little NJMP action. I was within .7 of the TTC lap record here that was set on Hoosiers. My car was on RC1! The record should be easily attainable on Hoosiers.

Last edited by Sickdayracing; 11-16-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Great looking S. What offset are those wheels? Any fender mods?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis
Great looking S. What offset are those wheels? Any fender mods?

Rolled fender. 17x10 +52 offset. I believe thats the only offset available in 17x10 6ULs.