S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Yokohama Advan AD08R

Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
"High-end street tires"

Star spec, Re-11, AD08
The "high-end street tires" in Japan are called "s-tyres", the stickiest of which are actually R compounds. When it comes to the fastest of street tires, NONE possess anything near what I would call "excellent wet weather grip". Some are obviously better than others due to tread design, but none can be considered truly "excellent" in the wet.

I apologize, you speak of Japan as if you have experience living there. I did not realize that you do not have any firsthand experience with Japanese market tires and were merely speculating.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait....a520hp 2300lb full-on racecar is faster than a barely modified heavier, full interior S2000? i am shocked, SHOCKED at the outcome.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Reid
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1364035087' post='22423002
"High-end street tires"

Star spec, Re-11, AD08
The "high-end street tires" in Japan are called "s-tyres", the stickiest of which are actually R compounds. When it comes to the fastest of street tires, NONE possess anything near what I would call "excellent wet weather grip". Some are obviously better than others due to tread design, but none can be considered truly "excellent" in the wet.

I apologize, you speak of Japan as if you have experience living there. I did not realize that you do not have any firsthand experience with Japanese market tires and were merely speculating.
You do realize that tires have different compounds for different markets right? The RE-11 you may drive on in japan is not exactly the same as the RE-11 we drive on in the states. Here, the RE-11 is among the fastest in the wet of any tire, with only one UHP street tire that is faster (conti DW) with the rest being R-comps designed for wet weather.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1364035087' post='22423002
"High-end street tires"

Star spec, Re-11, AD08

Yes I know what "S-Tyres" means, and yes I know that they are street legal. That doesn't doesn't mean many people actually use them as street tires. If someone in Japan says "street tires, or street radials" they sure aren't talking about S-tires. I am not speculating about anything, I just assumed since this thread was not about S-Tires that I would be given the benefit of the doubt, especially since I clearly wasn't talking about S-Tires in the rain.

I apologize, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone who wants to argue semantics all day. When I come to Japan this year to visit my friend who builds and maintains SuperGT, D1, and time attack cars we should meet up and we can argue semantics all day long in person.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by xraymd
Wait....a520hp 2300lb full-on racecar is faster than a barely modified heavier, full interior S2000? i am shocked, SHOCKED at the outcome.
It wasn't a race it was a test of new and old tire compounds.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and a test which proved exactly nothing. If it is actually a test of the tire compunds, how hard would it have been to use the_same_car and just swap wheel and tire combinations? Oh, please....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
You do realize that tires have different compounds for different markets right? The RE-11 you may drive on in japan is not exactly the same as the RE-11 we drive on in the states. Here, the RE-11 is among the fastest in the wet of any tire, with only one UHP street tire that is faster (conti DW) with the rest being R-comps designed for wet weather.
I have vehicles in both the US and Japan and drive on the track in both countries on cars and bikes. So, yes, I am familiar with tire compound differences in the two different markets. It I wasn't, I wouldn't read this forum.

This is "racing and competition", not "watch YouTube and carry out our Best Motoring touge fantasies on the nearest mountain".
Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MMisencik157' timestamp='1364052304' post='22423307
I have vehicles in both the US and Japan and drive on the track in both countries on cars and bikes. So, yes, I am familiar with tire compound differences in the two different markets. It I wasn't, I wouldn't read this forum.

This is "racing and competition", not "watch YouTube and carry out our Best Motoring touge fantasies on the nearest mountain".
Have you either owned or at least driven on an RE-11, star spec, or AD-08? (US market tire) Not trying to argue, I just cant believe that you don't think at least the star spec and especially RE-11 is a good wet weather tire...

Go drive a hankook R-S3 or Kumho ecsta XS on a wet track and tell me if they are faster than the tires mentioned above
Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM

That doesn't doesn't mean many people actually use them as street tires. If someone in Japan says "street tires, or street radials" they sure aren't talking about S-tires. I am not speculating about anything, I just assumed since this thread was not about S-Tires that I would be given the benefit of the doubt, especially since I clearly wasn't talking about S-Tires in the rain.
Many people run s-tires on the street. This is probably simply a result of the average Japanese car enthusiast having a lot more disposable income than his American counterpart, and the fact that your average Japanese person rarely drives. When he actually uses his vehicle he wants it to have peak performance in all aspects.

If someone says "street tires", then ALL street legal tires are included. The high-end of which is s-tires. It's similar to Victoracers and Hoosiers in the states.

All of your assumptions about Japan are simply wrong. Please stop stating anything that you do not have firsthand experience with as fact. This only serves to spread misinformation and confuse others when you make comments based off of assumptions.

I apologize, I didn't realize I was dealing with someone who wants to argue semantics all day. When I come to Japan this year to visit my friend who builds and maintains SuperGT, D1, and time attack cars we should meet up and we can argue semantics all day long in person.
Idk if you realize it, but I'm an American too. Know-it-all gaijins like yourself are exactly the reason why Americans are looked down upon in Japan.

PM me the dates and location that you'll be in Japan.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM

All of your assumptions about Japan are simply wrong. Please stop stating anything that you do not have firsthand experience with as fact. This only serves to spread misinformation and confuse others when you make comments based off of assumptions.
No they aren't. For future reverence when anyone in the world says "street tire" assume they don't mean a street legal semi-slick. I do have firsthand experience. You assumed I didn't know what I was talking about only because you are a needlessly combative person. In NO way am I spreading any misinformation. My statement was made very clearly. Move on with your life and try not to be such a hateful person in the future. The entire human race will benefit greatly.

Idk if you realize it, but I'm an American too. Know-it-all gaijins like yourself are exactly the reason why Americans are looked down upon in Japan.

PM me the dates and location that you'll be in Japan.
Your nationality is about as relevant as any of your other posts in this thread.

Quick Reply: Yokohama Advan AD08R