S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Civic Type R Tussle

Old 08-15-2002, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Type R Tussle

Last night at about 12.30 I levelled a Civic Type R at the Hayes roundabout going towards Heathrow
Old 08-15-2002, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill! You guys over there in the UK are lucky to have the Civic Type-R. Are the Accord Type-R's present there too?
Old 08-19-2002, 05:58 AM

Yeah we have the Accord Type R and the Civic Type R - When I raced the CTR - the sound was amazing - both cars VTECing - sounded crazy!!!!!

Hope to add lots more miles and then destroy them!
Old 08-19-2002, 08:09 AM

i hate you...

but only because the closest thing we have to a type-r is an rsx-s (translation: girl car). we did have a "type-r" but it was really just a hopped up GS-R....

:boohoo:
Old 08-19-2002, 09:48 AM

An Integra Type-R is just a hopped up GSR? Are you kidding me? If you look at it that way, then the Civic Type-R is "just" a hopped up DX hatchback. The NSX-R is "just" a hopped up NSX. One of my closest friends had a 95 GSR - he totalled it and bought a 2000 ITR. They're completely different cars - no comparison. The ITR was a factory-built race-ready track car. It well outperforms a GSR in every category, and has a completely different feel to it.

It seems like in your point of view, any "Type-R" is just a hopped up version of a lower model. I guess you can look at it that way. But judging from the differences of a GSR to an ITR, "Type-R's" are very different cars.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:27 AM

S2Thizzle, the US-spec ITR, I mean. Because it is. A real Type-R has a handbuilt engine (port & polished, balanced, etc.); a USDM ITR did not have polished heads. It was simply a marketing gimmick to broaden the Integra's appeal with American consumers.

A "real" Type-R, such as those across the Pond, are Type-R from the ground up. But, of course, we don't get the real thing.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:45 AM

alex, you couldn't be more wrong. The USDM ITR was a legitimate Type-R. The engine had the same treatment as overseas, only we got lower compression than the JDM model. In the later years here in the US some of the options were made standard on our cars, bringing the weight up a bit, but that doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the ITR.

UL
Old 08-19-2002, 01:28 PM

if the USDM ITR's are legit, then why, when a friend and I installed some Mugen valve springs and TODA cam, were the heads not ported/polished? hmmm...
Old 08-19-2002, 03:12 PM

Did you compare it to a stock B18C1 head? Do you know what exactly was modified on the B18C5 head? None of the ITRs were ever claimed to have a full port and polish. If you were expecting it to look like an aftermarket porter's head where everything is polished up to a mirror shine, then you weren't looking for the right thing. When Honda cleans up a head by hand from the factory, they go in and tweak selected areas. Their factory "porting" looks more like a little grind mark here and there where the casting needs to be cleaned up.

Besides the competely different crank, rods and pistons, the b18c5 also uses different valves, valve seats, valve springs, LMAs, etc. And the cylinder head does flow better than a stock b18c1 head on the flow bench.

UL
Old 08-19-2002, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alexf20c
[B]i hate you...

but only because the closest thing we have to a type-r is an rsx-s (translation: girl car). we did have a "type-r" but it was really just a hopped up GS-R....

I own an RSX-S and an S2000.

Quick Reply: Civic Type R Tussle