S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Close calls with the boys in blue.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricosuave,Apr 9 2007, 10:15 AM
which brings me to another question. if two or three vechicles are speeding at the same rate, which one is the cop more likely to pull over?
When I was driving on I-95 near Fredericksburg about 4 cars were going about 25+ above the speed limit. The cop waived each car down to pull over and gave everyone a ticket (luckily I wasn't driving).
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Crested a hill doing 145mph in my old modded C5. State trooper sitting in the median facing back up the interstate hits with me instant-on KA radar. Speed limit was 65mph. It was very early Sunday morning many years ago. Basically zero traffic on a divided interstate I lifted off the gas, checked my rearview mirror, saw him pulling out and turning up the highway towards me, and I just kept going. I took the second exit when he was WAY out of sight and went on a side road viewing expedition for about 20 minutes.

I was driving out to an autocross and driving around the back roads, I actually found the road I was going to exit anyway, so I never had to get back on the highway.

I was so paranoid for the next two days, thinking his camera SOMEHOW got my license plate.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM

i dont have an s2k yet but i dont have any tickets yet either here are a couple funny cop stories though.

1st. the day i got my integra GSR, i passed a truck on a one lane highway and sped up to about 90-95 mph, just feeling out the car. About 20 seconds later i get a call from my friend who was behind me "dude, the car behind you when you passed that truck was a cop and he's coming after you." my heart sank and i felt like i was going to puke... so i got right in front of a car without enough room for the cop to get behind me and just drove. the cop came flying up and turned on his lights and just cut the car behind me off... i mean it was reckless... he pulled me over and said "why were you going almost 70 mph!?" WHEW. i smiled and said the truck was throwing rocks on my new car and he said have a nice night.

more recently i was riding with a friend coming home from the track and got passed by a civic going 100 mph! my friend decided to just follow that car all the way back so the cop would hopefully pull it over instead if there were one. at about 110 or so i noticed we just flew passed a cop in the slow lane! we slammed on the breaks and just looked straight foreword as the cop caught back up and pulled right next to us. he stayed next to us for about 2 mins where he never looked away from us.. literally! i almost started to laugh because it was just like fast and the furious when the guy looks at the passenger for a long time (i know horrible movie but thats what it reminded me of). all you could hear inside of our car was OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! haha and the cop just kept glaring with a crazy intense stare, then the cop floored it and pulled over the civic right in front of us.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Only 2 "run-ins" here. Well, technically 3, but one was a warning:

Infraction #1: It was winter and I was driving my dad's RWD Caprice, took a corner apparently too fast, and the car's rear kept going and took out a Stop sign. A cop dropped by my parents' place to give me a talk about replacing the sign and its cost ($300 in 1993-4 dollars). No ticket was issued for anything (so I guess this isn't really an infraction).

Infraction #2: Speeding ticket in the state of Wisconsin for 15 over, reduced from 16 over (81 in a 65) because I was in from another state, on my way out of the state without planning to return simply to attend traffic court somewhere in the middle of the state. $180 ticket.

I've only been cited once, ever (not counting a couple parking tickets).
Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've beaten a few on the NJ Turnpike.

I was pulled over one day doing about 80 back when it was still a 55mph limit. The first cop waited for a second car to pull up, then came up and got my license and registration and went back to his car.
A couple of minutes later both cops walk up and the first one asks me who gave me the NJ Trooper hat in my back window. The second one goes back to his car, comes back a few mins later and says "You need a new hat. Sergeant *** retired two years ago. Now slow it down and get outta here."

The second time I was driving at night with my buddy and we were late for a meeting, so I was cruising at 90 in the middle lane. As we passed a rest area I saw a cop car sitting on the exit ramp and slowed down immediately.
Of course he saw me go from 90 to 60, so he pulled out and caught up to me, paced me for a minute, then shined his spotlight in the car for a couple of seconds and took off.

The last lucky break was when I was making the 67 mile trip to work up the Turnpike at 6am one morning. I was cruising at 80, and slowly catching up to a car in front of me. I saw lights coming in the left lane, so instead of moving over I just eased off and let him pass.
As soon as he passed I pulled out and went back up to 80. Next thing I know, he turns on his hidden lights and I realize it's an unmarked car. He slowed down, I pulled back to the middle lane doing 70, and he took off.
About a half mile up the road a regular Trooper car was parked in the divider with his radar on, so the unmarked guy saved me from that one.

I've been lucky. I've only gotten one speeding ticket in 19 years and over 500,000 miles of driving.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lesse... every time I had a run-in with the cops, they threw the book at me. Yes, they like nailing me for 3-5MPH over...

So I leanred to drive smarter and use technology to my advantage.

One night I was off to Vegas heading down Pearblossom in my Toyota on a totally empty road with just a Camaro keeping me company - doing somewhere north of 90MPH. He had a V1, I had a K40 "Chipsradar".

Every damn speed trap over the next couple of hours was dutifully reported by both of our detectors - until my K40 started warbling a CHP alert.

You see, back before the cops went all digital, the CHP had these repeaters installed on their cars. The walkie-talkie things they had on their belts have about a mile or two of range and the car relays the signal back to the station. The K40 detects the low-power transmissions and sends an geiger-counter type alert.

Well, I was ticking faster and faster, flashed the Camaro with my highbeam and slammed on the brakes. He got the clue and we both slowed down to 65.

Around the next curve - "Hello Officer!"

He must have been surprised seeing two cars at that time of night doing the legal limit out in the middle of nowhere. The Camaro guy fell back next to me and gave me a thumbs up and we resumed our speedy trip to Vegas.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Wow, where do I start, sadly I have no interesting stories with the s2k, and I have had it for 3 years. Wow, I guess I did calm down with this car. lol

Anyways, these are probably two of the best stories I have that i can remember off the top of my head.

Both of these were with my old 98' Eclipse GSX pushing about 500hp (give or take).

Story 1:
I was driving down to meet some friends near school, about a 40 mile treck from my house. Driving for the first 10 min, minding my own business and I pass an on ramp (doing about 70 in a 65), MD state trooper gets on the hwy and pulls behind me. I'm thinking oh great, straight pipe, no cat, external dump, tint, i'm screwed. He continues to tail me for about 5 min or so and pulls out into the next lane over and approaches my drivers side door. I just try my best to ignore him and go on my way, but whats this? He then paces me for the next mile or two, door to door. I'm thinking wtf?! Next he just floors it and takes off. I think oh good he got a call and is off to take care of it. But no, he slows back down and gets even with me again. At this point I don't know what to think, I cast a quick look over his general direction and he is giving me a thumbs up, I just nod and keep driving. Then he floors it again! I'm thinking, "is this guy for real?!" He gets even with me and gives me some kind of signal with his finger, like crank it up. I just shake my head and keep driving, this time I just kinda edge ahead to get him out of my view but he sticks with me till about 75-80 and is doing nothing at this point, 3rd times the charm and I bite, hard. I just punched it and we were off. I took it up to 115 and let it off thinking i'm about to go to jail but he gives me a thumbs up and drives off. Coolest state trooper in MD I have ever run into. I wish I coulda given it a second run just to see what his car has.

Story 2:
Same car, I was caravaning up to PA to hook up with some local DSM guys in PA who had rented out a track for the day and I was going to go make some passes. My friend and I hook up at my house and hit the hwy, we then realize we are 30 min late for the meeting with the other guys and start pushing the envelope up there. We cross into PA and realize that the points don't transfer over to MD from PA so we were clean. We cruise at about 85-90 for 5-10 miles, then hit this straight away going up to York (there are plenty of them). I hit my friend up on the 2-way and ask him if his radar is picking up anything on the straight away, he says negative and I just say, "keep up if you can" and punch it, Took it to about 135 and let off, in prep for a corner, i cruised around the corner to about 90-95 and started to accelerate again and out of nowhere this York County trooper is sitting under and overpass (but off to the side in front of the support) so I couldn't see him. I was playing lead and blew by him at about 105. He immediately pulled out behind us, I knew the game was up, my buddy on the other hand had other ideas, pulled out and blew by me and kept going. I was thinking Christ, go to jail or get away? By the time I had time to make up my mind the cop was right on my tail and I killed it. I was not worried too much because 1) Its PA, i won't get points transfered, and 2) One of my DSM buddies is a Traffic Judge for York County so I can get it thrown out. I just play it cool, cop comes up, license and registration. Then the usual, why were you going so fast, etc? I explained that we were late to meet a caravan to head to beaver springs drag way etc. He just gave me some look and said i'll be right back, comes back about 10 min later with the paperwork and says "so how fast is she?" I was like wtf? "umm, fast enough?" lol, he then says his dad used to race vettes at beaver springs every weekend with him etc. I'm like cool, "so, am I getting a ticket?", He then laughs and says, "Nope, MD driver, too much paperwork, just save the speed for the track and give em hell." and walked away, the look on my face was , lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a few.....

1. On my home from NC, on 495 around Washington DC. It was about midnight, and i was driving a 98 Mustang GT. Wife was asleep in the seat next to me. I'm doing approx 90 mph in a 55 zone. Coming up to an overpass i see brakelights come on in the shadows! AAAH SH!T !! I thought... anyway, i get pulled over. Guy is pretty pissed. Leaves me with 2 tix, one for speeding $270, and one for neglegent driving (for going that fast), also $270. Never paid 'em, never heard from anyone... that was like 6 years ago.

2. Heading down Hempstead turnpike on Long Island in East Meadow.... get pulled over for speeding thru a construction zone just before the Wantagh parkway. It's a really crappy night, raining very hard... cop comes and gets my license and registration, then heads back towards his car. As i'm rolling up my window, i hear a loud BOOOM!! Sounds like a dumpster dropped from the sky. Suddenly i see the cop in his slicker run down the embankment to the Wantagh. I can't see him. So i get out to go see what happened, as i come over the hill I see a big crash has happened. A drunk driver has destroyed a sedan with his cherokee, and he's trying to drive away!!! So the cop gets the teenage kids driving the car out and onto the shoulder. I tell him i used to do security, and give me his flashlight i will get traffic moving around the crash. He starts to chase the other car on foot as other cruisers arrive. I stand out there in the rain for about 10 minutes, slowly guiding cars around the crash. I get relieved by another cop, walk over to the first one, and he hands me my license back and says, "you and me, we're square on that ticket, no get outta here and slow down!" TRUE STORY!!

3. I grew up in a small town in PA. I knew all the local cops. the best story with them... it was like 2 in the AM. I am driving my friend's camaro back to our apartment, just me. I'm ripping thru the center of town, which has a bunch of hills. I crest the top of the main hill doing about 70 in a 35, when a crusier has started to pull out on the other side from a side street. As i practically get airborn over this little hill, he kicks on his lights before i even get passed him, I almost took off the front of his cruiser!!!! I am doomed, i thought. I pulled right over, didn't even bother making him chase me. He walks up to the car, i have the window down already with my license in hand. "Oh, hey Lenny", i said quietly. I knew Lenny really well. He just looks down at the ground, walks away from my car, sighs, and comes back to the window. "How did i know? HOW DID I KNOW?? WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING?!!? YOU ALMOST WRECKED MY CAR?? AND THIS CAR?? THIS ISN'T EVEN YOUR CAR??! ARE YOU INSANE??!" after a 10 minute verbal assault at high decible, he threw my license at me and left. He was actually pissed off that it was me for the obvious reasons, but also because he was really looking to nailing someone!!

I've got a bunch more, but I'll save 'em and post up again.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM

here is a good one involving the boys and blue and a new s2k -- i had just moved to LA from Canada and during my 3rd week after buying the S i was ripping into work when, unbeknowst to me, i blew by a cop. he pulled out and followed me through a sweeping left turn, up a 35 mph street doing 70 mph, then through a hard right turn. i didnt see him behind me until i was through the last turn and about 100 ft from my work. i pulled over and waited for him to catch up to me. he slammed on the brakes a few inches from my bumper and jumped out of the car with his gun pointed at me. i got out of my car with my hands up as he walked towards me, point his gun at me the entire time. he finally holstered his weapon, took me to the curb and cuffed me. i only had my Canadian license and didnt have my insurance papers in the car yet. he threatened to take me to jail, impound my brand new car, and accussed me of trying to out run him (cant blame him, even tho i wasnt). he must have sensed how scared i was because he let me go with a speeding ticket (50 in a 35). i pretty much crapped my pants and and turned white as a ghost while violently shaking through the entire incident. i consider myself extremely lucky and have slowed down in LA since. thank you LAPD.

Quick Reply: Close calls with the boys in blue.