S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Ferrari 360 and S2K (kinda long)

Old 05-08-2001, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being the nice guy I am, I stopped traffic on the way to work this morning to let a couple cars turn left from an intersecting road and join the traffic heading for the freeway. Of course I had an ulterior motive. The last car I let turn (so I could follow) was a Ferrari 360 (Silver/Black if you must know - only color for Seattle). Well the driver was all smiles, and he thought it would be nice to play follow the leader.

He slowed down to about five miles an hour (25 MPH road) to allow the traffic in front of us to get significantly far ahead, and he was off, and I was right behind him. There are no othe intersecting roads between where I let him in and the entererance to the freeway, just a lot of twisties through the trees. What a blast, 1st gear was all I needed. We were sane and kept it under 40.

Of course as I expected he got on the freeway, what joy. We played follow the leader 10 miles to work. He was being nice (clearly) and the S2K didn't disappoint. At freeway speeds it was best to keep it in 3rd and 4th if I didn't want him to be able to accelerate away like I was just sitting there. Well it was fun, didn't scare any motoroists, well not many at least. After 10 miles it was my turn to exit. He slowed down pulled alongside and gave me a big thumbs up. Go figure. Maybe he just liked letting me get into traffic in the first place.

So I guess its back to saving my pennies for me. I've got to have one.

In February I went by our local Ferarri dealership to ask when the spiders would be available (43 months). They had various late model Ferraris in one show room, what a sight. The real shock was the second show room. They had a few older Ferraris in the room, a few classic roadsters, A BMW Z8, M5, a Carrera 4 and guess what. A Red/Black S2K. No Z3s, Miatas, 300Zs, Supras, Vettes or the like were to be found. Just some Ferraris, Hot BMWs, Triumph of some sort, Jag XKE and our car. I was very happy to see that. I guess we're viewed as an exotic or something by at least one Ferarri dealership.

Anyway, it was a great morning. Wish I had the money to get another two seater....
Old 05-08-2001, 01:18 PM

That's cool the fellow was obviously a car person and appreciated all cars and not a snob. Recently I was down at SIR with a friend who brought his 360. Sounded nice, but I never got a ride!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:34 PM
Banned

You mean a Spyder that looks like this...

Some friends were just in Europe and spotted it.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you serious, 43 MONTHS!!! Holy smokes. I better order one now.

ERIK
Old 05-08-2001, 05:22 PM

For @$165K, you too can own one...
Old 05-08-2001, 06:13 PM

43 months, that was just before I walked into Honda of Seattle and decided to get an S2000 as the automotive equivalent of a training bra. Little did I know I'd fall completely in love with the car. Decided I didn't need the Ferrari after all.

However seeing the Modena (coupe) today reminded me why I NEED that car. I was thinking of getting the spider but I don't know if I would now at this point. Keep the Honda and get the Modena as well. Anyway, the Spider is 43 months out (long waiting list, who knows now with all the dot gones however) and the Modena is 12-13.

Also I'm always letting people into traffic, old ladies cross streets against reds etc. I figure I need the karma points with the way I drive when no one is around.

Yeah, the guy was clearly a car person and wanted to have a little fun on the way to work, thankfully not at my expense. If I had had the time I would have followed him to see if he wanted to trade for the day.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:45 PM

I saw five Modenas when it was sunny for a couple days this past week. No one wanted to play. There was this one dude in a silver/bluish 360 with a Hoosier sticker on the car. What a freaking geek; with a Modena, but still a geek. His plate was something Calvino... forget what it was exactly.

Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:27 PM

That modena with the sticker was probably on his way to an autocross. That same car was down here in SoCal competing in the National Tour and ProSolo back in March.

Old 05-08-2001, 11:12 PM

Yup, that's the car. Damn you guys are good.

Did he do well? He looked like a geek.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:05 AM

Putting stickers on a Modena is a sin. He should be shot!! Poor car

Quick Reply: Ferrari 360 and S2K (kinda long)