S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Street Encounters (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-street-encounters-34/)
-   -   Me Vs. Bright Yellow Boxter S (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-street-encounters-34/me-vs-bright-yellow-boxter-s-33517/)

Psicho54 10-31-2001 12:50 AM

Me Vs. Bright Yellow Boxter S

Ok, so after a night of f*ckin around with my friends I decide to go home. It was very late in the evening, probably around 3-4 am, and there were NO cars on the freeway.

This Boxter S pulls up alongside me when i'm cruising at about 70mph. I look over and he DEFINITELY wants to play, which kind of surprises me at first. I've never seen a Porsche owner stare at me like that. Evidently he felt that his extra horsies would give him a sure-fire advantage.

Well, first we do a rolling start ... we were about 2 lanes apart... me on the right, him on the left. We both drop it at about 50 mph and we stay neck and neck. I think the gearbox on my s2000 helped a lot because I was able to pull at him at high rpms, gaining about a car length. So ... we shut it down at about 120mph and I'm about 1.5 car length ahead of him.

He got off at the exit I did, and we pulled into a gas station and started talking. His car was fully stock, but an "S" boxter. I admit, his car looked pretty damn sweet ... no plates yet!

Anyway, we talk some more about our cars and we agree to have a fun at the next red light by the gas station. We lined up at the red and I revved to about 7.5k rpms and nailed it. I pretty much got the best launch I've ever gotten. Unfortunately, the dude in the Boxter got a great start as well, and from the line he took about a car length on me from the get-go with his torque. My tires hooked up after about a second, and I was off. As I was redlining through 1st and 2nd, I gained a great deal on the boxter ... as I approached 3rd gear redline I had about half a car length and then we shut down again. Man it was such a close race. I finally saw in first person what it means to have good driving skills. I was impressed by how my S2K held up to the power of the Boxter. I think perhaps the reason I had the slight 0.5 - 1 car length advantage was my driving skills ... :) No really, it was so close ... but I can say my beautiful S2000 beat a Boxter S, from a roll and fromm a dead stop ... maybe not by 6 car lengths, but enough to claim victory for the time being. Also, the owner was a great guy and gave the thumbs up both times, which I thought was a cool gesture. He was surprised at how my car kept up with his at higher rpms,and I told him that was what my car was built for. It was such a rush! I truly believe these 2 vehicles are so evenly matched that it really does come down to the driving.

Anyway, that was my encounter.

xtc@9k 10-31-2001 01:38 AM

That's awesome!!! I wish boxster guys around here would race me.

smccurry 10-31-2001 02:23 AM

Great kill! Now we just have to wait for the nay-sayers, always_laughing and KenS2k, to show up :rolleyes:

xtc@9k 10-31-2001 02:25 AM

Hey you're right, sometimes I swear this is the Anti-S2000 International forums. A lot of people here always want to doubt the S2000.

Swurvydel 10-31-2001 05:34 AM

sounds like a fun race

i love those...we're everyone is cool about it win or lose

YoungS2K 10-31-2001 08:30 AM

Best post here so far. Nice encounter. Nice writing :D.

WebGod 10-31-2001 08:36 AM

that was cool.....great story, glad to hear he was a nice guy too, just friendly driving... :D

icefire069 10-31-2001 08:37 AM

i call out BS. :D:D:D:D:D j/k with ya. good kill.

Prolene 10-31-2001 09:14 AM

It's good you got the launch you did to reel the Boxster in.

A non S Boxster is no match for the S2000, while, as you stated, "these 2 (Boxster S and S2000) vehicles are so evenly matched that it really does come down to the driving".

always_laughing 10-31-2001 09:31 AM

Originally posted by smccurry
Great kill! Now we just have to wait for the nay-sayers, always_laughing and KenS2k, to show up :rolleyes:
If you're referring to the thread regarding an S2000 "keeping up" with a 2001 911, there's a difference between a Boxster S and a 2001 911.

Get it?