S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Mustang GT 4.6L vs The S

Old 04-28-2001, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 6 months that I have owned this car I have never raced a Mustang GT until today.

The details:

I was driving 1325 towards Mopac (for those of you who know Austin) and I am behind a Silver Mustange GT Coupe (the newer version).

1325 opens up from two lanes to three lanes onto Mopac by Parmer Lane. As we approach Mopac he dives into the left-and lane and I follow him in 3rd gear. At this point I am about 2 1/2 car lengths back. We both lay down the hammer and the S reels him very easily in 3rd. I dive into the middle lane and pass him in 4th at about 112mph (that is what I saw on the speedo at a very quick glance). I look into my rear view mirror and he must be about 2 maybe 3 ar lengths back!

I slowed down to a respectable speed and gave him the thumbs up as he passed by but did not even bother to acknowledge me.

I am amazed at the sheer power the S has. It is quite amazing.

I will no longer even doubt the S when it comes to Mustang GTs. The Cobra would definitely be much more of a challenge.
Old 04-29-2001, 12:50 AM

I also had 3 different fun encounters with the Mustang GT (both 4.6L and 5.0L). All three times, I shifted @8500 RPM to leave them behind after 2nd gear from a dead stop. S2K shouldn't have problem with light modded Mustang GTs.
Old 04-29-2001, 04:40 PM

I beg to differ.

I love my stook but I have driven the 2000 Mustang GT on numerous occassions.

Off the line - I dont think a stook can take a properly driven GT. I know that most magazine times put us ahead of GTs but dont have much faith in magazine times.

From a roll, it will be much closer but I would still give the edge (barely) to a GT. I am in NO way doubting your stories but just suggesting that the drivers of the GT are either very sloppy or werent that intent on racing.

Just my opinion based on my experiences. I would be happy to hear counter arguments
Old 04-29-2001, 07:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Having acutally gone against a new GT, in my experience it's definitely a slower car. It may feel faster while being driven but in terms of F=m*a it is lacking.
Old 04-29-2001, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moneeb
[B]
I beg to differ.

Old 04-29-2001, 08:52 PM

as it's been said before...torque *feels* fast, but hp *is* fast

the higer torque in the gt will make u feel like you're going faster, but you're not. we might have less hp too, but we weigh less. make sense?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moneeb
[B]
I beg to differ.

Old 04-29-2001, 09:23 PM

I am going to have to agree with YoungS2K, when a V8 American iron meets up with an import they are serious. It is the "I want to humiliate your little rice burner" factor!

Turns out this little 4-banger spanked the Mustang good.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:17 PM

read my post in here on the New Mustang GT.. i did 3 runs w/ him 2 from a 40 punch and beat him.. and the 1 off the line he beat me.. i've raced 2 other mustang gt's.. the 4.6's right before the latest 260hp model.. their much slower.. 225hp i think raced both of them on the highway.. and walked away very easily. were not talking a few car lengths.. pretty much left them.. and yes they were racing cause you can tell when someone downshifts and hits it.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Moneeb

I beg to differ.

Just my opinion based on my experiences. I would be happy to hear counter arguments
Well, read my previous post because I had already beaten them 3 times. Granted, all 3 of them beaten me off the launch but I regained the lead after redlining. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, we can beat GT's but we also have to try harder. If they screw up the shift point they're not as far back as we get.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT 4.6L vs The S