S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Can't beat a Honda Integra Type R '99

Old 09-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't beat a Honda Integra Type R '99

live in Macedonia Europe and i have the only S2000 here so i cant compare mine with any other S2000.
I am asking for some Friendly Advice.No need for hostilities.Bad Answers should be left out or Bad driver skills should be ignored.I am not a racer but i think i get better starts from him and change at right time fast and still bad result.
In The Advice Part i will need a Experience to Locate the Problem.
After the Race For the First time in my Life i Got Funny Vibrations all over the Tranny and car when i release the Clutch in First slowly to start from Standstill in normal driving.
If i start at higher RPM there are no Vibrations and when i start from Standstill slow there is disturbing vibrations all over the car from the Clutch release.
Please tell me that if i change the Clutch and Pressure plate this will Disappear.No vibrations when i put in first on car Moving slow-2-3 miles.
I have 40000km -25000miles perhaps.No Clutch Slipping in my opinion.
Now at the Race.
I need some advice- Here also.
The Integra Type R from'99 of my Friend here is from '99 and Has 190Hp b18 Honda Engine.There are 3-4 Honda Integra Type R here.
He has A header,Exhaust,Test pipe-No cat,K&N Stock replacement filter and maybe Higher Fuel pressure
When we start i Jump half a car or a car length in front and after that he pulls on me in 2nd,3rd and 4th stops pulling and he has about 1-2 car lengths in front of me.
I cant understand why he pulls on me.I have a BMC CDA airbox on my car and had my OEM airbox there also so i can Change it and see if there is a difference/
All i feel Is that with the BMC the car Pulls Harder Before the VTEC and After that i think the OEM is Better in VTEC.I see that when the Car gets really hot the BMC isn't Doing a good Job.
My Friend Says that his Stock Declared times Are 15.-15.1 and with the mods he got a best of 14.5
In terms of stock i should be at least as Fast as him and if not Pulling on him.But no.I start better and he pulls on me when i am accelerating?In Vtec?
What i noticed Strange is that while i was in 3rd and in Vtec 7-8 he Changed in 4th.I don't think he has Closer Gears-Modified ones.He would Probably Told me if he had closer gears.He says his Best time is 14.5.

So i should theoretically be quicker.Stock,
I raced him 10 times or more and i didn't win any race.
All i can conclude is that my car is stalling somehow but i cant see it.
I will be removing my cat in Next few weeks and Will make my fuel Pressure higher to see if this will change something./Should i do that?I will see if the Cat was Not Letting the Exhaust so fast,maybe its stuffed ?
My Goal is to at least get the Stock performance.
Anyway any Advice is Welcome.Forget my Honda dealer or service.
I haven't Timed my car but from what i presume is 15 sec.
Also after my Tires got hot it was impossible to start the car.
before i was launching at 6-6.5 rpm by dropping the clutch and i got a tire spin and when i get traction i am still in Vtec.
But after my tires were probably warm i could get the car started with keeping her in Vtec.Kick her -Drop her at 6-7 Rpms and Nothing she will fall at 3-4 and before i get to Vtec my friend is catching me like i was off the Gas.
The thing is i don't know if the Clutch Wasn't doing the Job or the Tires had so much Grip and The Car Bogged Out.I have Pirelli Pzero Nero.
My Car Hasn't been raced more than 20 times in her life so i haven't abused the car but i drive her pretty fast/
i will change the Clutch and am thinking about changing the Flywheel with the Fidanza one but a friend warned me not to change the flywheel for a lighter one.
Are there any Cons for the Lighter Flywheel?
We were Few Honda Fans There And We all didn't Understand how i didn't Beat him,and after that my Friend ACE -the Integra driver tried my S2000 and he said it was Difficult to start the Car.Hot tires or Clutch.?
He raced a Civic that i beat with 1-2 car lengths and he didn't pull on the Civic.
Thanks to all.

No Exhaust restrictions here and i wont miss the CAT.

Stefce.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the vibrations... I dont know... could be the clutch buzz that is common on the earlier S2k. As far as the performance problems... I would think the BMC intake could be an issue. Its not popular here on the forums apparently as I have never heard of it or seen it before. IMO, sell it... put the stock intake back on and either get a true CAI like the AEM, Injen or K&N, or get the Comptech Icebox oslt. Reset your ecu, get the test pipe and order a T1R 70mm exhaust or the J's Racing 70mm exhaust and you should be able to burn the ITR. As far as the flywheel is concerned the only downside to them are your RPMs are going to fall quickly on the shift so you have to shift quick and not miss or youll be hanging with your nuts in the wind, Id get one tho.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM

An Update.
I Picked up a Mechanic and We - he Drove the car on a highway and from 6 times in Slowly getting to Vtec the Car pulled 2 times hard and the other 4 times it was going Slow in Vtec.
He says that some sensor is reading something wrong and the car doesn't pull as hard as it should.So after Monday we will try and See what it is.
He told me the First time i Drove the Car in Vtec that she was struggling in Vtec.
Possably we can sort it out.
SO We will see what comes of it.Any Suggestions?For What to look?Should i give the Map Sensor a Whack Job.?Will it do any help?
My car is like this From New so i Haven't Noticed as far as a Bad Vtec?
Thanks For the Input Dolemike,I bought THE BMC because It was Dyno Proven and it was as realistic as it can get in my Eyes 2-3 hp gain.And its the one of the most Expensive one and its specially designed for my Car. Around 500 Euro it is.And i didn't want to Get a Intake that goes to the Fender i am Afraid to get water in it here on My streets,
Here is the link For the Dyno

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisDyno.asp
Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try the map sensor whack
Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 PM

how much does that R weigh? the s tipped 2740 #'s this weekend. diets gone wrong. HA.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 PM

sounds like the vibration you speak of is wheel hop. if the entire car is bucking like you say on high rpm clutch drops.
and what pressure in your tires? if your having too much traction, up the psi. run 40 psi. you will be able to control the spin better and with less wheel hop.
check engine light on?
my advice, leave your stock flywheel alone. F20C already has no torque, lightening the rotating assemblies will just make it harder for you to launch. if you want better take off, get some 4.57s.
any other stuff, keep typin, ill keep answerin. later dave
Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 AM

Here is what i found here and i think its Very sad that i didn't know this and we suffer the same problem.I for 4 years now since New and never Knew.Sad.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0insulator&st=0
Still the guy doesn't have an answer to the problem and i am afraid i wont find the problem also

Did some testing and if i pull up to vtec slowly keep it before vtec and hit it hard it goes like crazy and when i acc. form low rpm and keep it slammed vtec hits like pussy and pulls like a 180 hp car.
Also not all times when i creep up slowly the Vtec hits hard,only 50% of the time.

And the Car doesn't vibrate at all when driveling or starting only when slowly starting in first from standstill,i suspect the Pressure plate or the Clutch fric.Disc.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

strange you should be able to beat the itr even with his mods... I don't think the effect of your intake is the problem, and I guess now you know that it is the car that's having problems. Is it still under factory warrenty?

As for the flywheel...yes your rpm will climb faster, but they wil also drop faster. I have an 8 lb flywheel on mine, and I have no problems with my rpm dropping to low between shifts. It may be that I've had lots of practice, but if you shift fairly quickly there should be no problems. Vegas is right though it will make the launching the car a bit harder(more wheelspin), but with practice you can get it down and it feels awesome.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Nope Warranty Has Gone.
In all fairness is it worth the 400$ to Spend it on Flywheel?
Should i buy it or save my money?
Stefce.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Sep 14 2005, 08:29 AM
strange you should be able to beat the itr even with his mods... I don't think the effect of your intake is the problem, and I guess now you know that it is the car that's having problems. Is it still under factory warrenty?

As for the flywheel...yes your rpm will climb faster, but they wil also drop faster. I have an 8 lb flywheel on mine, and I have no problems with my rpm dropping to low between shifts. It may be that I've had lots of practice, but if you shift fairly quickly there should be no problems. Vegas is right though it will make the launching the car a bit harder(more wheelspin), but with practice you can get it down and it feels awesome.
Agreed- the S should still be able to take the Type R, even with the basic bolt ons. I would give you some advice as far as the vibrations, but I am still learning the mechanics of the S.

I hear they have some pretty reputable companies over there that can import all kinds of cars from Japan. I saw some pictures of a DC5 Type R... and then I was jealous

Quick Reply: Can't beat a Honda Integra Type R '99