S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

the new CL Type-S, is it just all hype or forreal?

Old 06-24-2002, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got off school today and was tired....driving home. Then this new CL Type-S flew by pass me.
But I was just minding my own business. Then the traffice built up and he was cutting in and out,
I was just driving normal when regular lane changes trying to go home so I can eat and rest.

I was thinking....I never raced a new CL Type-S before and I heard they're pretty fast! in the
220-260hp? the new one has 260hp and 6 speed I heard. I don't know what model I raced
but it's a type-S.

-long story short-

we both pass the traffic and came to a stop sign (flasing red light), he was right next to me on
the outter lane (2 lane street) and i saw him floored it so i feather my clutch at 4-5k rpm (didn't
want to dump the clutch and break my rear end for this) 1st gear we're about even till I hit
6k then I pulled like a fender ahead, i was thinking woohoo...he aint that fast. then i speedshifted
to 2nd at around 8-9k (i wasn't paying attention to my tach but paying more attention to
the road, the street is so straight 'cuz we're driving along pacific coast...) then shifted to
3rd, pulled a lil more. so i was about half a car ahead of him. we hit some traffic so i slowed down
1st then so did he.

he then followed me very closely and i then pass the traffic and he made another lane change
to my right and we cruise to a stop light. i was like, cool. now we're at a stop. the light turn
green and i was bout to dump my clutch for this one but he seem didn't do much (maybe he
had an automatic that's 220hp or 230hp version???) after a split of a sec, he jumped and i
feather my clutch as it was too late to dump it. i did it around 5k this time...no clutch burning.
i pulled on him on 1st, shifted, 2nd pulled a little more. by 3rd, i was about one car ahead,
then 4th gear i was about 1.5 car length ahead. i looked at my speed and it was around 90mph
something. i was thinking...the trapspeed should be close to a 1/4 mile so i lighted up my lights
to show the sign of winning. he then slowed down too and passed me.

it was a easy kill but exicting 'cuz i never raced one of these and it was fun doing it...i thought
them CL type-S are fast but it was not all that considering i let him go a little big on 1st gear.
i (read: my girlfriend) was going to purchase one together but now i am gonna tell her that car
aint all that....heh.....but still, i LOVE the CL Type-S...the interior is so nice and even the GPS nav.
system is sooooo cool. I wish my S2000 have that option just like the S2000 in Japan.

ps- my car is so far bone stock except the spoon x-brace and some little mods here and there
that does not increase any hp. his CL's got some 18" wheels (it looks big, not sure if its 18",
but i'm guessing 18" since they already come 17" stock), exhaust, front grill...etc. not sure
if he had any engine mods....i couldn't hear nothing as i was paying more attention to my car
and engine sound.

thanks for reading. happy motoring.
drive (race) safely.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:27 PM

Good sh!t!!! I've raced a few and they are pretty good competition. Around 80+mph is when the S starts to pull out ahead. Dude, I can't believe you slipped your clutch at 5K . I never ever tried that before (don't think I will either ). I'll see you around town, dawg. Latez!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by SaV onE
Good sh!t!!! I've raced a few and they are pretty good competition. Around 80+mph is when the S starts to pull out ahead. Dude, I can't believe you slipped your clutch at 5K . I never ever tried that before (don't think I will either ). I'll see you around town, dawg. Latez!
What's wrong with slipping at 5k? I used to dump my clutch at 6k sometimes to get
the best launch. my best 60ft time was a 2.0 flat. i slip the clutch now...it's better
for my rear end.

I'll see ya around Cliff (S2 Sav), I was the one w/ the white s2k that
talked to you once at CSM parking lot and now I have a black s2k.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:11 AM

Dumping the clutch is a LOT easier on the car than slipping it...

I test drove the Infinity G35 over the weekend.. I would have say that is a nicer car than the Acura in almost all aspects. The engine #1, is noticeably stronger. Good lowend torque coupled with high end power. Even though they are rated at both 260 hp, the Infinity seems quicker by a large margin. I think the CL is deceptive. Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that the G35 is more fun to drive. The chasis seems more solid and the ride is smoohter. The interior noise is about the same and the handling on both cars are subpar at best compared to the s2000. The G35 coupe with a 6 speed is going to be one heck of a car.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:18 AM

I only slip the clutch when I'm on one of those fat a$$ hills in Frisco, 'nah mean ? I do agree with you that it is better on your rear end, but on the rare occassions that I do drag (I'm more of a high-speed freeway racer ), I just drop the clutch and smoke the f'er. S2SaV, nah I ain't him, he tells me he doesn't go on this forum nomore, he doin other things; I just took his handle from him.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go the track, you might be surprised. The VQ35 actually doesn't perform up to its numbers. CL-S 6-spd vs. Maxima 5-spd with the 255 hp VQ. Maxima had intake, springs and upgraded (stickier tires) and was 200 lbs lighter than the CL. ET's were within 0.01 seconds and the CL trapped a little faster.

If you read the auto mags, you'll note that the auto G35 actually traps about the same as the TL-S auto. Its a couple tenths quicker to 60 and the quarter because it can launch harder (RWD). And character wise, I think the J32A2 just eats up the VQ35. Nope, don't like the VQ, always felt is was an overhyped engine.

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suvh8r
[B]Dumping the clutch is a LOT easier on the car than slipping it...

I test drove the Infinity G35 over the weekend.. I would have say that is a nicer car than the Acura in almost all aspects.