S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

People wanting to race you in a very unlikely car

Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to get revved at a lot more when I was in ,my BRZ, makes sense as that car was lower, front splitter, big wing, the works. I dont street race, but I kinda like making people think I'm about to. I'll rev back and smile and make to look like I'll floor it when the light turns green. When it does, I get to see them screech off while I slowly shift into first and pull from my stop and continue on my merry way. A few times ive even had the pleasure of watching the red and blues start flashing and the persons face as I cruise slowly by to them getting a ticket. I dont condone street racing, and have lost a friend and another friend went to the hospital because of it.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:05 PM

Received 3,791 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
my son is about to get his license, and he will be driving my 19 WRX and 2000 Integra GS-R, I think I've got the message through to him that he is not to race anyone no matter how much they may try to provoke him.

I've also tried to educate him that It doesn't matter how fast your car is there is always someone out there that will be faster so what's the point ? You can have some hillbilly in a 1200 hp farm truck rev on you or someone with a turbocharged minivan, basically anyone can boost any vehicle and make it fast for a few runs. I'm trusting he has gotten the message from me on this. As old as the adage may be, street racing is stupid, race all you want at the dragstrip or road course.
You can always check the info. screen on the wrx after he has driven it and it will narc him out if he was driving it faster than he should be.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 AM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
my son is about to get his license, and he will be driving my 19 WRX and 2000 Integra GS-R, I think I've got the message through to him that he is not to race anyone no matter how much they may try to provoke him.

I've also tried to educate him that It doesn't matter how fast your car is there is always someone out there that will be faster so what's the point ? You can have some hillbilly in a 1200 hp farm truck rev on you or someone with a turbocharged minivan, basically anyone can boost any vehicle and make it fast for a few runs. I'm trusting he has gotten the message from me on this. As old as the adage may be, street racing is stupid, race all you want at the dragstrip or road course.
I'm assuming he is into cars. I think it is healthy to understand the difference between a fast car and a fast driver. If you can get him to take pride in the latter, you can probably solve the street racing issue pretty easy. As you pointed out, chasing having the fastest car is a foolish endeavor but ego and testosterone surely exist. He'll still drive fast on the street, almost surely. I'm sure everyone on this board has. Street racing is a different story. IMO, all telling him you found data saying he drove fast in the 19 WRX will do is cause him to hide it, and drive fast in the GS-R instead. Unless he took the WRX to 130 mph or something ridiculous, I wouldn't go about it that way.

I'm going to be clearly biased here but take him out to an autocross. Give him an outlet to get it out and give a very strong case study in that point. Miatas will, undoubtedly, beat on much more powerful metal. I think that WRX can still do pretty well in SCCA's D Street class. If he has an outlet to compete in a safe, fun atmosphere, where it is about his performance and not the car, I bet that will trump the desire to race the idiot next to him at a red light.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

People don't try to race me.

I just get a-lot of random women waving at me huge smiles on their faces, with my flowy long hair. Then awkwardly retract when they realize its a man driving.

Good times.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:59 AM
RLT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple weeks ago I was stopped at a stoplight on a double lane highway. A C5 Z06 pulled up next to me and the driver started revving his engine. So as a joke I revved the engine of the S2000 and started to laugh. As soon as the light changed to green he hit the gas and took off. I had no intention to race him, the outcome would have been obvious. The Corvette sounded darn good right up to where he missed the shift to second gear.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I have had all sorts of people trying to race me. More often ricery looking cars with kids (aka around 20ish looking) in them. Slammed VW's with turbos seem to be common ... driving up next to me and trying to rev at me. We normally just laugh and wave. Had what appeared to be a teenager in moms volvo revving at me a while back. Just ignored him, but he still launched out of the stop light and was driving like a moron down city streets ...I guess he thought he was impressing someone

Have had a few pickups trying to race me.

I simply do not street race, but I have had two occasions when someone saw the car and rushed up behind me (once a mustang, another in a VW) on a back road coming up to a small roundabout near me. I never slowed down for the roudabout and just drove through it like I normally do since this is away from the city streets and there is barely any traffic back there so it is one of my "fun" spots on the drive home.. they slammed on the brakes of course to go through it and then just backed off after that... I guess realizing I was not gonna drag race and trying to stay on my bumper through any sort of corner wasnt gonna happen.

I was driving one day last summer and had no traffic in front of me so let it wind up to about 8800 in first and second after a light, and had a guy on a crotch rocket behind me. He followed me down the road and then through a roundabout. Stopped for a light and he pulled up next to me and said "WOW! What is that thing? It revs like my bike does!!!" .... Told him a bit about it while we were sitting there and he left with "Im going to look into that!"

I think having a bright yellow S2k with black wheels just makes it look that much more like a hot wheels car and draws a lot more attention from some!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
People don't try to race me.

I just get a-lot of random women waving at me huge smiles on their faces, with my flowy long hair. Then awkwardly retract when they realize its a man driving.

Good times.
Hey Fabio used to get all the chicks, back in the 80/90's
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (07-23-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 04:34 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
I'm assuming he is into cars. I think it is healthy to understand the difference between a fast car and a fast driver. If you can get him to take pride in the latter, you can probably solve the street racing issue pretty easy. As you pointed out, chasing having the fastest car is a foolish endeavor but ego and testosterone surely exist. He'll still drive fast on the street, almost surely. I'm sure everyone on this board has. Street racing is a different story. IMO, all telling him you found data saying he drove fast in the 19 WRX will do is cause him to hide it, and drive fast in the GS-R instead. Unless he took the WRX to 130 mph or something ridiculous, I wouldn't go about it that way.

I'm going to be clearly biased here but take him out to an autocross. Give him an outlet to get it out and give a very strong case study in that point. Miatas will, undoubtedly, beat on much more powerful metal. I think that WRX can still do pretty well in SCCA's D Street class. If he has an outlet to compete in a safe, fun atmosphere, where it is about his performance and not the car, I bet that will trump the desire to race the idiot next to him at a red light.
Thanks for the advice. We actually sold the Integra GS-R and are in the final stages of a track-car build, so we are taking the track car to a local road course so he can learn to drive fast as you noted. No 1/4 mile racing though.

As a new driver his insurance rates are already through the roof, no tickets and no accidents, so nether of us can afford for him to get a speeding ticket let alone into an accident. I taught him how to drive a manual transmission when he was 16, none of his friends ever seen a manual tranny let alone were able to drive one, so that is a plus.
DallasDz (11-18-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Hey Fabio used to get all the chicks, back in the 80/90's
Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

It doesn't help that my license plate is " / GAL" which is supposed to be smiles per gallon. But women seem to interpret it as smile at girls/gals. Not sure why the standard unit of measurement abbreviation for gallon can be so misleading?

Old 07-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple days ago I was parked at the courthouse (buying tags) and a Corvette next to me raced his engine and when light turned green he took off like a bat out of hell. I never even let the clutch out. In my younger days it would have been on. In '72 I got 36 speeding tickets and was put on restricted lic. Work and back only. I'm much older and smarter now.
DallasDz (11-18-2020)

Quick Reply: People wanting to race you in a very unlikely car