S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Post your CANYON DRIVES and TOUGE here!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad I found this thread! I am a touge fanatic. I have a decent collection of Option and Hot Version DVD's. Tsuchiya, Orido, and Taniguchi are my heros. lol
I try to do 2 or 3 runs a month. Back in the day I would go 2 or 3 times a week. lol.
I very rarely engage full attack mode any more. I just drive spiritedly and have a good time. I keep it calm on the straights, and attack the corners I am comfortable with.
Around town and on the freeway I go the speed limit (or close to it at least). The only time I drive hard is on the touge. Most of my buddies are wangan guys (high speed freeway driving), but straight line speed does nothing for me. The only time I am alive in a car is on the mountain.

I have a few scary stories from when I was younger. I lived in Arizona and was part of the AZ350Z crew (I drove a Z back then).
I was really in to drifting at the time, and have exited a corner facing the wrong way more than once. Pretty frightening with a cliff on either side. lol.

My buddy in his Supra dang near totaled his car one night. He lost control while countersteering and ended up half way off a cliff. Luckily, our buddy with his WRX was with us, and was able to tow him off the edge safely. He did an epic 4 wheel burnout before yanking him free. Amazingly, my bros Supra barely had a scratch on it.

One of my Z buddies totaled his ride (and a poor families Navigator) one night on a Tortilla Flats run. It was about 1AM on a weekday, so we figured there wouldn't be any traffic. I was leading, and spread the gap on him a little bit. When I made it to the end point, there were no headlights behind me. At first I got cocky and thought I was the touge master or something, but after a few minutes, I realized something was wrong. When I went back to find him, I found him standing next to a crumpled beer can that used to be a 350Z. 100 feet down the side of the mountain was a demolished Lincoln Navigator. While sideways around a blind corner (baaaad idea), the SUV coming the other direction clipped his rear corner panel and went off the mountain. Thankfully no one was injured, but my god that was a scary night.

I live in the LA area now. I like to drive Mullholand some times, but Topanga Canyon is my road of choice. If you guys know of any other great driving roads near the San Fernando Valley, please let me know. I am really in to hair pins. I prefer 2nd gear and lower speed 3rd gear corners. High speed curves (like Kanan) are not my thing.

If anyone in my area wants to go on a canyon run, let me know. As long as you don't want to battle or anything. I have gotten slower (or maybe more responsible?) over the years.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zygrene
Few of my touge videos from the past several months:

MR2 vs S2000 (Initial D style!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fhgDnjP15Y

S2000 cruise with MR2, Genesis Coupe, FR-S (shot with a crappy Contour HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs6ssGRG9o

And my favorite:
S2000 and E89 Z4 chasing Ferraris through the canyons!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdw3shW9Iao
I really enjoyed these videos man. Nice driving skills. You were flying while chasing that Ferrari.
Beat Of the Rising Sun is also my favorite song from Initial D.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JamesFM
I live in the LA area now. I like to drive Mullholand some times, but Topanga Canyon is my road of choice. If you guys know of any other great driving roads near the San Fernando Valley, please let me know. I am really in to hair pins. I prefer 2nd gear and lower speed 3rd gear corners. High speed curves (like Kanan) are not my thing.

If anyone in my area wants to go on a canyon run, let me know. As long as you don't want to battle or anything. I have gotten slower (or maybe more responsible?) over the years.
The stunt road/piuma loop were my roads of choice. Check them out, tons of 2nd-3rd gear fun. I haven't seen any on piuma, but cops like stunt road now, so watch out. I got too many tickets there and had to stop going fast on certain parts, but feel free to send a message if you want to cruise.

Both of these are off mulholland. Exit the 101 at valley circle, go to mulholland hwy, get to stunt (left hand turn after a few miles), take a right at the top, then just keep taking rights until you end up back on mulholland.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Colinian
Originally Posted by JamesFM' timestamp='1400389228' post='23164623

The stunt road/piuma loop were my roads of choice. Check them out, tons of 2nd-3rd gear fun. I haven't seen any on piuma, but cops like stunt road now, so watch out. I got too many tickets there and had to stop going fast on certain parts, but feel free to send a message if you want to cruise.

Both of these are off mulholland. Exit the 101 at valley circle, go to mulholland hwy, get to stunt (left hand turn after a few miles), take a right at the top, then just keep taking rights until you end up back on mulholland.
Nice man! I will check out that road real soon. I will totally hit you up for a cruise some time as well.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

People need to stay in their own lanes!

Yesterday on the way to work i was going up the hill. Was coming up to a turn that is notorious for people cutting into the other lane. There was a ford edge coming down the hill with perfect timing that we would pass each other in the middle of this turn. Sure enough he cuts into my lane and almost clipped my car. Lucky for me i was anticipating him cutting the turn and kept as far to the right as possible. Hope he realized how close that was and stops cutting lanes.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You have to love that. I see people on Mt. Lemmon doing that at 25 mph; if you're having to cut double yellows, you're going too fast for your skills, the car, the road, or any combination.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish we had some fun winding mountain roads here in Kansas. Other than a couple backroads, there aren't too many curving roads.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Canyon driving shenanigans. I hope you all like it. Remember to stay in your lane and don't drive beyond your limit ( for the record, Do as I say, not as I do
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonCore
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Canyon driving shenanigans. I hope you all like it. Remember to stay in your lane and don't drive beyond your limit ( for the record, Do as I say, not as I do
Cool video, your start button is dirty.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM
kap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran into a random s2k on my way to the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxTVm5ZyEAo

Quick Reply: Post your CANYON DRIVES and TOUGE here!