S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Ran a 1997-8 Porsche Convertible, this guy was funny.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Porsche Convertible, 97 or 98, I don't know the difference. I dropped to 2nd, going 30mph, next to him to see if he wanted to run (I knew I would lose, but what the heck). The guy didn't do anything, stayed 30 mph. Then I stopped at the light, the guy was on the left lane. The guy didn't look at me. I thought he was not going to go. I didn't rev. Light turned green, I did a normal 2-3K launch and then I floored it, he floored it too. Ahead of us was a S-shape short road, about 400 ft. The Porsche didn't pull on me (Probably because of the cuvry road and he was chicken out), he was next to me. My rear skided a bit, cause I was flooring it thru the curve.

Then the next light, there was a car in front of me, so I had to pull behind the Porsche. Light turned green (It was a straight road. again about 400ft), the Porsche......vroooommm....... then I followed, I got too excited, rev limiter kicked it at 1st and my car stalled a bit, so the Porsche got a good 1.5 car lengths on me (These lights are very close to each other, about 400 ft or so). Then we were slowing down for the red light, then it turned green all of a sudden, so I shifted to 2nd at 40mph and floored it again. I reacted quicker than the Porsche and my car pulled back up next to his.

He slowed down, had his window down, gave me a thumb down, and he was saying something, I could not hear a word. Then I yelled: "Your car costs 2 times as much. For around $35000, mine is doing pretty good!" (We were doing 15- 20mph when we were "yelling" at each other, the road was really quiet, but engines were pretty loud). He was like, "Really? Is that a V6?" I said "No, I-4!" He said "Really? Wow!"

Then we stopped at a light again. I said "You wanna go again?" He said "Sure" The light was green already, He didn't rev, but I reved to 5 K and dropped it. I guess this guy didn't shift at redline and he didn't drive very well. I was pulling on him after I redlined 2nd just about one car length on him and the road became curvy again.(This time the road was much longer, maybe a mile with no lights) He was behind me. I redlined 3rd and I kept "that redline speed", speed limit was 50mph.

Then we came to a light again. The guy said "Man, you car runs good (Now the attitude had a 180 degree change, since he knew mine was an I-4 and a lot cheaper) I asked him "Tiptronic?" (Cause his car seemed "slow") He said "No, stick." Then I asked, (I was trying to be funny), "Is that a turbo you got there?"
( I knew there was no turbo convertible after 1985 or something. ) The guy said "Yeah" I was laughing on my mind, thinking this guy probably thought I knew nothing about Euro cars. Then I asked "300hp? 350hp? : )" He said "Close to 400hp" Hahahaha This guy was funny. I told him mine was 240hp.

So now I know an S2000 can hang with a 280hp Porsche Convertible with a bad driver (in the Porsche)
Old 02-12-2002, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sounds like this guy was really terrible. Turbo, my ass. Unfortunately it sounds like you pulled up to a moron. Porsches like the S2000 need to have the revs up, for Porsches need about 3000 rpm to get a good launch. Sounds like a fun race though. Careful with that cost twice as much comment. Remember they can shoot back with "yeah but you're driving a Honda, I'm driving a Porsche" and it can get nastier from there. Enjoy speed for speed. A Camaro SS (which is a bit less) can hand you your ass on a platter in straight line speed contest, or even a hopped up Civic but I don't think you would want either. Enjoy your car.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had to chime in here, even though I know it will start an argument. A camaro SS will not hand you your a$$ on a platter. Their 1/4 mile time is like 2 10ths faster than ours if that. It comes down to driver.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a Porsche Convertible, 97 or 98, I don't know the difference.
Do you know the difference between a 96-97 for that matter or is the year simply a guess?

Just had to chime in here, even though I know it will start an argument. A camaro SS will not hand you your a$$ on a platter. Their 1/4 mile time is like 2 10ths faster than ours if that. It comes down to driver.
Let
Old 02-13-2002, 10:19 AM

SS will hand us our a$$ on a road course huh. I auto-crossed for the first time this year and at the second event I attended there was a plethora of Mustangs (gt and cobra's) and firebirds, camaros (ss). None of those cars were within 2 seconds of my best time. NONE. As a matter of fact it was entertaining watching them fight weight and roll to just keep it on course. On most of their runs there was a steady roostertail of rubber coming from their disintegrating tires. Besides, these cars are like Vettes, Boxsters, Miatas and Z3's, way to COMMON.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by steve c
Do you know the difference between a 96-97 for that matter or is the year simply a guess?

I looked it up from the web afterwards, and it looked like it was the 97-98. I also found out that you can get an used one for about $45K. Maybe the guy just got it and didn't know how to max it out yet.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve c
[B] Let
Old 02-13-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Legend1
SS will hand us our a$$ on a road course huh. I auto-crossed for the first time this year and at the second event I attended there was a plethora of Mustangs (gt and cobra's) and firebirds, camaros (ss). None of those cars were within 2 seconds of my best time. NONE. As a matter of fact it was entertaining watching them fight weight and roll to just keep it on course. On most of their runs there was a steady roostertail of rubber coming from their disintegrating tires. Besides, these cars are like Vettes, Boxsters, Miatas and Z3's, way to COMMON.
Are you aware that auto-cross and road courses are not the same thing?
Old 02-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by shizon'00

Are you aware that auto-cross and road courses are not the same thing?

I agree. Unless you are up in the mountains, the SS will take any S2K (Stock) on the streets.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Auto-x is not a roadcourse.
2. Auto-x tends to favor lighter, mid-engined layouts (i.e. cars that have quick transitory responses).
3. Your one experience with one amatuer event is just that, a single example outside the boundaries of what we can assume to be average.

Not sure what being common or not has to do with anything. However

Quick Reply: Ran a 1997-8 Porsche Convertible, this guy was funny.