S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S/C s2k vs. turbo 300zx

Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 1 2007, 07:27 PM
Shift the Supra at 8500rpm's and it's still above 1250hp. Am I wrong?

EDIT: I don't know how far a shift will actually drop it. I'm just going off of your theoretical 1200rpms.
I was under the impression the dyno was over by then. My own dumb cold-medacine enduced fault. You still will see better ET out of a larger motor than you will a large turbo Supra. Check out some timeslips. I saw a local Supra at the track. He couldnt run a 12 to save his life. Kept running LOW 13's...AT 113 MPH! He was pulling 2.1 60's. Now, with a 2.2 60' and a 113 trap, a vette would still be in the 12's.

I think I have the timeslip, let me get the SPECIFICS, hold on. (I ran him, in the 5.0, lost bad, lol).
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 1 2007, 07:23 PM
wtf? it is around 900ish. Look at her again man.

Now think about it. If the VETTE had 1300whp peak, just like the Supra, it would be well ahead of it after that 1200rpm drop instead of within 100whp of it. I mean, it started with a 400whp loss and after the shift is only down 100ish whp.
You're not taking into account that the Lingenfelter doesn't have exactly the same power to compare to. Bigger turbos and/or more boost would probably be required, and that would probably change the power curve. Looking at the two that I posted just shows that the Supras power curve isn't as peaky as you made it seem and the Lingenfelters isn't so flat.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM

FOUND IT!

2.20 60'
13.240 ET with 110.68mph trap speed.

He was auto so it wasnt slow-shifting.

http://www.mustangboards.com/members/custo...=vehicledetails

^ there, a Mach1

2.211 60'
13.373 @ 107.5

YOU KNOW! that supra was making WAY! more hp to out-trap him by that much mph and with a worse 60' the Mach 1 came within .13 of the Supra's ET.

They both weigh about the same.

EDIT:
The supra backed that timeslip up with MANY identical or VERY CLOSE to identical to it as memory serves. I never saw him trap under 110 and I never saw him run faster than 13.0.

THis is what I mean by the "Supra Syndrome" It traps HIGH! and has GREAT! dyno numbers, but at the strip it just can't pull it off.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 1 2007, 07:16 PM
You still will see better ET out of a larger motor than you will a large turbo Supra. Check out some timeslips. I saw a local Supra at the track. He couldnt run a 12 to save his life. Kept running LOW 13's...AT 113 MPH! He was pulling 2.1 60's. Now, with a 2.2 60' and a 113 trap, a vette would still be in the 12's.
E.T.'s are more indicative of driver skill and traction. I believe I've seen e.t.'s of high 13 second C6's posted on another thread here. I thought the argument here was that Supras only make 1300hp at peak and thus aren't as fast as weaker larger motors?

I'm not defending a Supras ability to gain traction, as I've heard they have horrible issues with wheel hop.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 1 2007, 07:38 PM
E.T.'s are more indicative of driver skill and traction. I believe I've seen e.t.'s of high 13 second C6's posted on another thread here. I thought the argument here was that Supras only make 1300hp at peak and thus aren't as fast as weaker larger motors?

I'm not defending a Supras ability to gain traction, as I've heard they have horrible issues with wheel hop.
The Mach 1 had a WORSE 60' than the Supra and the Supra was auto while the Mach 1 was a 5-speed. Dont tell me the Supra driver was a worse driver. NO WAY the Mach 1's manual out-shifted his auto and the Supra had a better launch. It is just all top end and its ET sucked for the hp it put down and the traction it got.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Don't turbo autos trap higher than manuals thanks to not interrupting boost between shifts? Is it possible that there was something else behind this particular run?

Either way, it's going to take a lot more than one or two timeslips to show me that not having low end power in a car that doesn't spend time in the low end is causing it to be slower. The logic of that argument still eludes me.

How about the previous gen Mustang GT's that trap the same as a well driven S2k also run the same e.t.'s as a well driven S2k? S2k's actually have a peaky powerband too. There is a weight difference, but I'm just looking at trap speeds. By your theory, the Mustang should be much faster because it has a broader powerband and traps the same.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 1 2007, 07:42 PM
Don't turbo autos trap higher than manuals thanks to not interrupting boost between shifts? Is it possible that there was something else behind this particular run?

Either way, it's going to take a lot more than one or two timeslips to show me that not having low end power in a car that doesn't spend time in the low end is causing it to be slower. The logic of that argument still eludes me.
I told you, the Supra backed it up time and time again that day, that is just the only slip THAT I HAD for him b/c I only ran him once.

My point is he has a TON! of hp to trap 110.XX and he cut a BETTER 60' than the Mach and STILL only had the mach by .13 seconds.

Supras typically have shitty ET's for their 60' and their trap speed. It is just a fact.

Let me go to a Supra forum and get their ET database for you. I think you can look at that and the mustang ET database I will give you and compare the 20 or so cars in them and see what I am talking about.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Don't worry about it. I don't know enough about Supras to defend all of them. I just found that 1300hp dyno because I didn't believe that the whole peak hp thing made a difference. The powerband could be shaped differently for all the different e.t. examples you could show me, but neither of us would really know.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/timeslips/...a/Supra%2093-98

^ look at the 60's and the ET and the MPH. HOLY CRAP they ET high for the 60' and the MPH!!!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php?etl...sc&pp=25&page=2

^here, compare that to the LS1tech.com F-body database and you will see what us domestic and other import owners mean when they say "supra syndrome" (Dont challenge it on a dyno or from a 70 punch, but you can hand him his ass any time at the strip!)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 1 2007, 07:49 PM
Don't worry about it. I don't know enough about Supras to defend all of them. I just found that 1300hp dyno because I didn't believe that the whole peak hp thing made a difference. The powerband could be shaped differently for all the different e.t. examples you could show me, but neither of us would really know.
There are DOZENS of examples, defend away my friend!

I love MKIV's to death, but they truly are dyno queens.

Quick Reply: S/C s2k vs. turbo 300zx