S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Vortech S2000 vs Audi R8 *videos inside*

Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh have I got a carb story for you.

On my last civic si, I did a k24a2 motorswap from the tsx. Man that thing ripped HARD especially with race header and full bolt ons.

Theres only really one part on the k24a2 that looks different from the original k motor on the civic si, one small coolant porting on the head. The rest of the block/head looks similar. and I even disgused it with the stock manifold cover and everything. Total sleeper.

Anyways, my friend was driving it. chirped the tires in 2nd and got pulled over. The cop comes up, pops the hood and looks. Obviously he was dumbfound, but based on a HUNCH or suspicion sent me to the state ref, simultaneously screwing me over by checking the box "non correctable offense". If you aren't allowed to correct your ref ticket, it's an 800 fine, but it's supposed to be correctable. Anyways, I spend the next week sourcing OEM header and cat to put back onto the block. (because if you get caught running catless in california, you car can be impounded and you fined upwards of 1000 dollars.) Anyways, I brought it back to the ref with the motor hoping they would miss it. They caught it. Marked it as tampered. I drove it back home, and after realizing that i would never be able to get it bar'd, painfully put the whole motor back. and then sold the motor online.

The car needed a stock ECU to run the motor so I had to buy one of those, broke a throw out bearing in the process, and had to source a whole crap load of other stuff. On top of all that, I had to drag my dad down from another state to fight the citation as it was filled out incorrectly, because the car was registered to him. All this resulted in one of the most stressful 3 months of my life. Not to mention, I had to singlehandedly drive the motor to san francisco and ship it freight at the SF branch of forwardair. God damn. thinking about all that makes me cringe.

ANYWAYS; all that to say, you're actually in a good situation. With the supercharger being bolt on it's a lot less work to return to car to the stock condition, and that referee ticket should be a relatively small fine assuming that the officer filled it out correctly.

stitos2k is right, not all hope is lost. assuming the vortech kit is carb approved. all you would have to do is put the cat, the correct pulley, injectors and fuel management, back on the car and you'll be driving again in no time. If the vortech kit does not have carb status, uninstall it and sell it online hell of a lot easier than doing a motorswap in 2 days. lol.

sorry about hte long winded post. just wanted you to not lose hope.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by chubbychu,Oct 1 2010, 04:22 AM
sent me to the state ref, simultaneously screwing me over by checking the box "non correctable offense". If you aren't allowed to correct your ref ticket, it's an 800 fine, but it's supposed to be correctable.
My ticket is marked as non-correctable. Gotta love the cops around here with nothing better to do.

And I don't have the FMU or timing control box anymore. I know the timing box will cost a little over $1000 and the FMU will probably be a couple hundred.

On a lighter note, I have sourced out stock headers, cams, and an ECU already and have acquired them at no cost!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM

oh man. Well, hopefully I'm mistaken about it, but I vaguely remember how much trouble that little mismarked check box brought.

If i recall, with the modified emissions citation, you're SUPPOSED to correct the problem, bring it to the state referee and have him sign off on it. At that point, if it was marked "correctable offense" it would be a fix it ticket. 25 dollars or so i believe.

However, with it being "non-correctable", it essentially turns a simple fix-it ticket into a straight fine. At that point, after you have your ticket signed and reffereed, you'll need to make a court date, bring it to a judge for him to change the ticket back into a correctable offense. That'll lower the fine down to 25 bucks or so. But...after all that, you'll still end up paying around 100 bucks, for taxes, court fees and other junk. It's not SO bad or so painful, just tedious and really time consuming.

Good luck. If you need any help, we're all here for you.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by chubbychu,Oct 1 2010, 02:33 PM
oh man. Well, hopefully I'm mistaken about it, but I vaguely remember how much trouble that little mismarked check box brought.

If i recall, with the modified emissions citation, you're SUPPOSED to correct the problem, bring it to the state referee and have him sign off on it. At that point, if it was marked "correctable offense" it would be a fix it ticket. 25 dollars or so i believe.

However, with it being "non-correctable", it essentially turns a simple fix-it ticket into a straight fine. At that point, after you have your ticket signed and reffereed, you'll need to make a court date, bring it to a judge for him to change the ticket back into a correctable offense. That'll lower the fine down to 25 bucks or so. But...after all that, you'll still end up paying around 100 bucks, for taxes, court fees and other junk. It's not SO bad or so painful, just tedious and really time consuming.

Good luck. If you need any help, we're all here for you.
I really do appreciate the advice and support! Thanks buddy
Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The actual ticket doesn't sound so bad.... in your case you're kinda screwed, your only chance is if your sc is actually a low boost kit that you could run on a stock ecu. Since piggybacking is illegal, that's really going to be your #1 problem and there's no way a ref would ever miss that.

Otherwise all this is, is a smog violation ticket. Claiming that your car would not pass smog, due to a violation of parts. CARB Parts, CARB SC Kits, CARB Turbo kits can NEVER be refuted... as long as part by part they meet the manufacturer part list. This of course is considering that your kit is carb legal to begin with.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Never moving to cali
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM

stories like this make me GLAD i dont live in cali but to the OP i think its SICK that your car held its own with those cars...cant wait to go FI
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Bump for new videos!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CypherAZ,Sep 26 2010, 01:10 AM
Sounds about right, the R8 4.2L I saw dyno'd put down 383whp @ EVOMS. Honestly to me the R8 falls in the same category as the NSX, totally baller status, but way overpriced for what you really get.
I agree.

I almost bought an Audi R8 two weeks ago but opted for a Z4M with mods. They had a used one up here in the $90000 range. Way to much for what you get. They have an 01 Ferrari Modena in the same range. Looked at one of those as well but the maintenance would kill me. I could afford both but I wanted an SUV and 2 seater so went Z4M and will be getting either a 2010 Acura MDX or 2009 BMW X5.

OP great kills!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread made me make up my mind about supercharging my CR. Finally.

Quick Reply: Vortech S2000 vs Audi R8 *videos inside*