S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   !@#%... The Dealer Refuses to Refund My Deposit (Advice Needed... Reward Offered) (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/%40-%25-dealer-refuses-refund-my-deposit-advice-needed-reward-offered-53897/)

Chunky 03-28-2002 05:58 AM

!@#%... The Dealer Refuses to Refund My Deposit (Advice Needed... Reward Offered)

Here's my story...

Approximately 2 months ago, I went down to the local Honda dealer to place a $500 deposit for a 2002 Silver/Black S2000 @ MSRP. While I was there, I signed a "sales contract" with the dealer for an incoming Silver/Black S2000 which indicated that I had given the dealer $500 of non-refundable credit towards the purchase of the car. The "sales contract" did not specify the VIN # of the vehicle nor did it specify the vehicle's stock # (These areas were left blank on the contract). Additionally, the dealer indicated that the vehicle should arrive April/May 2002.

A few months pass, and while surfing the S2KI forums, I stumble upon a signifcantly better deal for an identical S2000 ($30K + TTL). I take it. Afterwards, I call up the first dealer to request a refund of my deposit. Days later, he sends me an e-mail giving me the typical dealer bull$hit on why he couldn't refund my deposit. Which leads me to my current situation...

- Is the "sales contract" valid in spite of the missing VIN # and stock #?
- Can I get my deposit back? If so, how?

To spur interest in this thread, I am offering the first board member who replies with sufficient advice leading to the refund of my $500 deposit a complimentary Honda S2000 accessory valued up to $150.

Thanks,
Chunky

PS - If any more details are required, ask, and I will provide them.

Scot 03-28-2002 06:08 AM

In the state of Pennsylvania (where i live) there is no such thing as a "NON-Refundable" deposit with a business. First call the ***manager*** of the car dealer... they will most like be able to sell the car for MSRP anyway so they should refund your deposit based on that alone.

if the manager doesn't work for you, ask for the owner. They don't need any bad publicity over a $500 deposit. Let him know that the Attorney General's office & Better Business Bureau will get involved if they don't want to give back the $ easily. (this is somewhat of a bluff, but it works well)......

next....(if they haven't told you to come pick up the $500 check yet)call the Attorney General's office in your state, and explain the situation.... they will ask you to fill out some paper work and they will investigate it.... .at this point the dealership should be scared because....once again $500 is not worth the bad publicity....

After all of that they would be foolish to not give back your $500. I got $7500 back from my Westfield because I think they knew I would be doing whatever it took and they were just smart enough to give it back and move on! :)

Scot

pfb 03-28-2002 06:09 AM

Keep the $150, but I'd try the following:

1. Check state law. Some states prohibit keeping deposits, regardless of the contract.

2. Call the General Manager of the dealership directly. Be nice, not demanding, and speak of future business opportunities with you, your friends and family assuming he/she refunds the deposit. I wouldn't tell them (have you already?) that you didn't buy the car because you got a better deal elsewhere. Don't waste a second dealing with a sales droid. They simply don't have the authority to do what you want.

3. If you put the deposit on a credit card (which you always should), you could dispute the charges and let the dealership defend keeping the deposit to the credit card company.

FormerH22a4 03-28-2002 06:14 AM

I am not a lawyer but giving them hastles would probably do the trick. Like suggested above, contact the BBB and or if you have a lawyer friend, get them to send a letter and the dealer will probably back down and give you the money back.

My friend refused to pick up his car since it took so long and when it did come, he didn't pick it up. They weren't going to give him his 1000 deposit back but he just gave them a lot of hastles and they gave in. Nobody likes hastles so I think that would be a good tactic to get your 500 back.

Wisconsin S2k 03-28-2002 06:34 AM

If you signed a contract, then it is legally binding. However, the contract is void if the dealer cannot fulfill part of the contract. (ie, proposed delivery date, other conditions, etc.) Read the fine print, and see if there is something you can use that route. The contract is void if you can find anything the dealer did not meet in the contract. Even if it means the wrong color, etc.

jvils 03-28-2002 07:04 AM

I put a deposit on a car that was to take 2 months for delevery. I asked what happens if I find another car at another dealer. They told me money back no questions, people line up for these cars so they weren't worried. But when I read the papers, which were a sales agreement, it stated deposits are not refundable. I made them X that out and initial/date where we crossed it out.

Then I did find a new car in a showroom at another dealer 2 days later and they gave me back my deposit, just took a few days for them to cut a check.

Anyway, If you make enough noise they'll give you the money back. If you REALLY want to make noise, local TV stations love doing reports on local businesses that screw people. Call a station and explain the situation and ask if they can help. I see stuff like this on local news all the time. Pretty extreme reaction tho, and probably uncalled for unless nothing else works. Also, this advise is definately not worth $150. Good luck, tho.

Sondra S2K 03-28-2002 07:12 AM

I understood that they can't keep your deposit if the sale isn't completed, meaning that unless you get the goods, you get your money back. I'm not sure how the law works in your state though, so I would call the Attorney General's office and ask some questions.

Good luck!

Scot 03-28-2002 08:06 AM

You guys can stop trying to muscle in on my $150 of honda accessories! :D

.... i'll take a J's Exhaust......:D (i think that is slightly more than $150 though )

Scot

S2k Dude 03-28-2002 08:19 AM

Chunky, which dealer is pulling this crap on you? We (the Atlanta club) have dealt with several dealers in this area. Maybe just getting one of us involved would be helpful. Send me a PM.

2002S2000 03-28-2002 08:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chunky
[B]Here's my story...

Approximately 2 months ago, I went down to the local Honda dealer to place a $500 deposit for a 2002 Silver/Black S2000 @ MSRP. While I was there, I signed a "sales contract" with the dealer for an incoming Silver/Black S2000 which indicated that I had given the dealer $500 of non-refundable credit towards the purchase of the car. The "sales contract" did not specify the VIN # of the vehicle nor did it specify the vehicle's stock # (These areas were left blank on the contract). Additionally, the dealer indicated that the vehicle should arrive April/May 2002.

A few months pass, and while surfing the S2KI forums, I stumble upon a signifcantly better deal for an identical S2000 ($30K + TTL). I take it. Afterwards, I call up the first dealer to request a refund of my deposit. Days later, he sends me an e-mail giving me the typical dealer bull$hit on why he couldn't refund my deposit. Which leads me to my current situation...

- Is the "sales contract" valid in spite of the missing VIN # and stock #?
- Can I get my deposit back? If so, how?

Try this web site.
www.carbuyingtips.com

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

:D