S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

10/21 Mass. Ride thru Central part of MA

Old 10-16-2000, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

Anyone up for a ride this Saturday!!! Just did part of the drive last saturday and that was fun.

The proposed route I'm planning is Hopkinton MA via Mass Turnpike to Exit 8 in Palmer MA via some fun back roads to Amherst MA. Have lunch in Amherst, head out to Sunderland and possibly up to Miller's Falls and join Rt 2 East to head back to Rt 495.

Parking together in Amherst center may be tough. Worst case scenario is we could park at the nearby high school and walk 10 minutes into town. Or we could scatter the vehicles in a couple of lots.

I thought we could do Chinese food for lunch. I was thinking of Amherst Chinese Kitchen, which was the best chinese food I have ever had, many years ago. Walked by there and it still looks great. There's lots of other restaraunts in town and we could choose something else.

After lunch we'll drive thru Umass and head out Rt 63 to Sunderland for a special suprise. And then take Rt 63 to Miller's Falls and pick up Rt 2 and head east to Rt 495.

The first meeting place will be off Rt 495 Exit 21B. Get off the exit (West Main Street towards Upton). Go thru lites and then take left into parking lot of The Cactus Grille Restaraunt. I'd like people to get there around 9:30am so we can be on the road by 10 am.

If you need to gas, get off exit 21A (West Main Street towards Hopkinton) and there is a Mobil Station on the left and a gulf on the right. Saturdays and Sundays at that Mobil Station is "Wild Days" and there's 8 cents off per gallon so I think the cost is $1.75 per gallon for 93.

If people want to meet up in Palmer, if you take a left past the tolls, there's a shopping center on the left and we can meet up there. Laster lives nearby and maybe he can pick a spot.

Email me at lopes_bob@emc.com for questions or if you are in or post here. I hope we have the weather we had last Saturday!!!

Bob
Old 10-16-2000, 12:28 PM

Count me in!!! And I hope the weather is just like this past weekend. But then again... I just checked the forecast and....

Thursday: Mostly clear. High in the mid 60s.
Friday: Partly cloudy. Low 45 to 50 and high 65 to 70.
Saturday: Partly cloudy. Low 45 to 50 and high 60 to 65.

So we shall see!
Old 10-16-2000, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming I can wake up on time count me in, too.
Old 10-16-2000, 02:59 PM

Partly sunny and 60-65 sounds great to me. We'll meet you in Palmer. The Big Y shopping center is as good a place as any. For a small group - around 6 or 7 - we could meet at the Mobil Station at the end of the exit ramp. Larger group would be better at the Shopping center.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:00 PM

MacGyver, email me your phone # and I'll give you a wake up call when I get up at 5:35.
Old 10-16-2000, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bah, the last person who woke me up before the sun was directly overhead is still removing splinters from their colon. I love you mom, just don't shake me awake like that!

Just make sure you guys give decent directions to wherever it is you're meeting. I'm a visual person, so I can only find a place if it's "past the Pizza Hut, left at Hooters, and across the street from Ace Hardware."

Oh, and I gotta ask since I've never had a nice enough car to try getting together like this...what's the traveling like? Does everyone play around 10 mph above the limit, go single file, scream like a bat out of hell, what?

I took a trip to Mt. Cardigan (NH) this past weekend and got in the middle of a bunch of tricked out weasel wagons...Civics, yugos , a prelude or two...and these guys were bonafide A$$HOLES!!! About 15 of them on I-93, cutting each other off as well as other motorists, clogging the lanes and slowing everyone down, then speeding up, riding on the shoulder...you get the idea.

I figure this pack is a touch higher in class, but if not I'll just hang my head in shame.
Old 10-16-2000, 05:32 PM

MacGyver:
Actually, we are a pretty tame bunch. On the last rally, we only had about 90 minutes of sheer terror! Not bad for an 8 hour drive.

According to Black7564:

The first meeting place will be off Rt 495 Exit 21B. Get off the exit (West Main Street towards Upton). Go thru lites and then take left into parking lot of The Cactus Grille Restaraunt. I'd like people to get there around 9:30am so we can be on the road by 10 am.

BTW, I replied to your email but it bounced back to me with a NO_SPAM address.
Old 10-17-2000, 03:19 AM

From the sounds of things you will find this group more than a "touch" higher in class. The last ride was a lot of fun with plenty of opportunity for "spirited" driving. None of the above mentioned cutting off or riding on shoulders. I think you will find it a completely different experience. And gee, if 5:30 is too early I can call at 7:00 when my wife gets up.
Old 10-17-2000, 10:42 AM

I emailed more explicit directions, routes, mapquest links to people I thought might be interested. If you did not get them, email me or post here.

The weather according to Boston.com is: Chance of showers Saturday morning, then gradual clearing. Some afternoon sunshine. Breezy at times. Highs 58 to 65. Partly cloudy to mostly clear Saturday night.

Hopefully that will be typical weather prediction and we'll have a nice day...
Old 10-18-2000, 04:26 AM

Latest weather is looking dryer if a little cooler. Partly cloudy and around 60. Bob, what specifics do you need for the Palmer meeting place?

Quick Reply: 10/21 Mass. Ride thru Central part of MA