S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2001 S2000 need advice

Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S2000 need advice

I joined to hopefully learn a bit from all of you. I am an S2000 dummy...i dont know much about them.

My 74 year old father has a bone stock silver 2001 S2000 6 speed manual with red leather. It has 17k original miles. Its been in a climate controlled garage on a trickle charger for years. He drives it very rarely on a nice summer day.

Dad has decided he wants the new Jeep Gladiator And has asked me to help him sell this car. I'm trying to learn what I can about it but I was wondering if any of you have advice on the best way to sell the car. I was thinking eBay or bring a trailer. I just don't think craigslist is going to get out to enough people. I also don't have any clue what this thing is really worth. My guess is over 20,000 but I really don't know what the market is for this.

I have some time because I can't even order the Gladiator in till the end of the month and it won't be here until June. My hope is to get this sold before June so he can use the money toward the Jeep Gladiator. Any suggestions or advice on what this thing might be worth and where you think the best place to market it would be?

To clarify it's in mint condition, like it rolled off the showroom floor. It has no modifications to it. It has never been wrecked or repainted. The rear window is perfect. If it was driven it was on a nice day with the top down and usually just short trips under a 100 miles.

Your suggestions and advice are appreciated!

scott
Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

You can go to bringatrailer.com and search past S2000 auctions to see what they are going for there. You have to have thick skin to sell a car there.
Given the condition, I think BAT would be the best choice especially since you have the luxury of waiting until warmer weather arrives. The closer to mint a car is, the easier time you will have on BAT. People there are quite persnickety. The nice thing is that you are out just $99 and the buyer has to pay BAT a fee regardless of whether they follow through with the purchase or not. That keeps people from backing out of a deal because the buyer fee to BAT is nonrefundable.

Take tons of pictures and make sure to get all of the VIN stickers on the body panels accounted for. I can guarantee you will hear about it if they aren't documented in photos. It's akin to having compression numbers for apex seals on an RX7.

Just my opinion. My other thought is, buy it for yourself.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 03-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
You can go to bringatrailer.com and search past S2000 auctions to see what they are going for there. You have to have thick skin to sell a car there.
Given the condition, I think BAT would be the best choice especially since you have the luxury of waiting until warmer weather arrives. The closer to mint a car is, the easier time you will have on BAT. People there are quite persnickety.
Thank you. I have never used bring a trailer before so I am not very familiar with it. I have only heard of it and briefly searched. The car is about as close to new as you could ever see. It was never driven in rain or bad weather. It sits inside a climate controlled garage every day of the year. He starts it every once in a while to make sure the fluids are turning.

I will do more research on BAT. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
My other thought is, buy it for yourself.
Ha! Wife says i already have too many toys. I have only driven this car one time. I will admit that it was fun!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

BAT is good way to go however I can recommend posting on Cars.com or something similar. Craigslist is great because a lot of people specifically looking for an S2000 will check craigslist as thats where you find the gems. Just be careful of lowballs and people just looking for a quick joy ride.

Pricing can vary depending on location. But try to use this as a general rule of thumb. Saw this from another member on here and it holds pretty accurate.

A 2005 AP2 with 80k miles in good condition goes for around 20k (pricing will vary by area but this is a decent average).

For every year older than 2005, subtract 1000$. For every 10,000 miles under, add 1000$

For rare interiors (red, red/black, tan) add 1000$ if in mint condition, 500$ if in decent condition, 200$ if in poor condition.

So in your case, you should price your car at around, 24k. Maybe 1000$ more due to it being mint.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion

For every year older than 2005, subtract 1000$
This is a ridiculous statement. No way you take $4k off because it’s an AP1. There are potential buyers that only want an AP1. 17k miles on an ‘01 is a wonderful find for someone. I suggest you add some pictures here to give some additional context to what you have. GLWS.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Thanks. I will try to get some photos from him
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog

This is a ridiculous statement. No way you take $4k off because it’s an AP1. There are potential buyers that only want an AP1. 17k miles on an ‘01 is a wonderful find for someone. I suggest you add some pictures here to give some additional context to what you have. GLWS.
I dont understand why its a ridiculous statement. Wouldn't a lower price make it better for potential buyers? And sure maybe some people value an AP1 more than an AP2, but you do have to take year into account. Do you not think 24-25k a reasonable price for a AP1 with 17k miles?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I remember seeing that formula after I had purchased my car a couple of years ago. I cannot recall what the starting dollar amount was back then, but overall the formula held up quite well when looking at prices asked and paid by others. I believe that it was intended as a guideline rather than a hard fast rule.. It doesn’t have anything to do with AP1 vs AP2 but simply the age of the car. There are plenty of items on cars that degrade over time and that factors into the pricing. It seems like common sense that people buying one of these cars to drive would spend more on a car that is almost ten years old versus one that is almost twenty years old. All other things being equal, lower mileage cars always bring more money than higher mileage cars.

The asking price suggested to the OP looks pretty good to me. I would agree that Bring A Trailer would seem like the logical choice for this car. Those buyers crave the minty, all original, low-mileage cars when it comes to S2000’s. A couple things to be aware of is that the BAT crowd will likely have plenty of detailed questions that will need to be answered and you will definitely want to provide lots of quality, detailed photos of the car including the underside and the ten VIN tags if you you want to get the most money for the car. Otherwise you might be better of selling the car elsewhere.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
I dont understand why its a ridiculous statement. Wouldn't a lower price make it better for potential buyers? And sure maybe some people value an AP1 more than an AP2, but you do have to take year into account. Do you not think 24-25k a reasonable price for a AP1 with 17k miles?
For the right car, surely it is the right price. The formula only works on average mileage cars from what I have seen, even then?

Quick Reply: 2001 S2000 need advice