S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2009 Berlina with *91* miles on BAT @ $50k

Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful 2019 Berlina Black S2K....personally I own a 2001 GPW version but have to say the black color one looks real slick
Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
more to do with how much of a unique experience it provides. It’s a great car by those measurements.
I agree. But not if it's gonna have more milage being transported on something else in its life, than driven.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

What I find interesting is how so many people look at car collecting (or any kind of collecting for that matter) as an investment. Frankly I think that has very little to do with it. People collect things because they're passionate about them. Often their purchases appear highly illogical to most others. I can only assume that people collect cars for different reasons. There are likely some who are attracted to cars for what they are and enjoy using them while those cars are in their possession. There are also likely others that are attracted to cars solely for what they represent and are attracted to them like some kind of mobile art. It's their passion their money, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. There's no single right way to own a car. Some guys enjoy washing them, working on them and driving them. Others simply drive them, preferring to have others get their hands dirty. Some just want to stare at them in their garage or in a museum. I'll watch how things play out with the 91 mile S2000 with interest, but that has no impact on me personally. When it comes to S2000's, the only thing in my control is how I choose to enjoy my own.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously the S2K is a toy meant to be played with, it's not some super rare only 50 made collectors item. Something like an Integra Type-R is more rare than a basic S2000 the only appeal of this particular one is the low mileage which again doesn't really mean anything for Hondas. S2K's have been proven to exceed 300k+ miles reliably.

But I guess the price makes sense if the goal is to preserve the car in some like Honda or Japanese Motorsport museum or something since you are never going to find an S in such pristine "showroom" condition as that one.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

The problem is trying to apply logic to an illogical purchase. Coins are meant to be spent. Stamps are meant to pay for postage. Baseball cards are meant to be swapped with buddies and then stuck in bicycle spokes. Guitars are meant to be played. Cameras are meant to take photographs. And of course cars are meant to be driven. None of that applies for those who would rather tuck these things away somewhere and simply admire them from time to time. When it comes to collecting, it's not always about rareness so much as it is desirability. Whatever the reason, for some people the S2000 has become a rather desirable car — whether it's to be driven or not. I sure can't understand paying that much money for the car, but then I'm not a car collector.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Apparently the 1M drives well. Nothing special to look at though.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
Apparently the 1M drives well. Nothing special to look at though.
The 1M makes the S2K look like a toy. It's gorgeous.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
The 1M makes the S2K look like a toy. It's gorgeous.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

I really dislike the 1M's looks, though I like the car a lot.

It looks blocking and way too busy for me. Almost bought one when they came out and only regret it because I could have sold it at a good profit.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Money is no object for some folks. Completely unimportant and irrelevant.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

I really dislike the 1M's looks, though I like the car a lot.

It looks blocking and way too busy for me. Almost bought one when they came out and only regret it because I could have sold it at a good profit.
Agreed. The 1 series (including the M) is fugly as hell.
And plenty of people are 50k into their S2k builds... 50k is not all that much money for a "special" one of a kind vehicle. Yes there are plenty of S2k's out there but they don't make vehicles like this any longer nor will they ever in the future...
I've said it before - if I were to replace mine I'd easily spend 60k+ on a replacement... probably more...

I will say this though - I wouldn't enjoy that 70k S2k any more than my 17k one LOL.. and it wouldn't run any better either... or last any longer.... But if someone wants a museum piece have at it!

Last edited by MrFunk; 02-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Berlina with *91* miles on BAT @ $50k