S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New owner - convertible top

Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - convertible top

dumb question from new owner:
I've just purchased an AP1, 2000 MY. Obviously, it has the plastic rear window. The S2000 will live inside the garage and will mostly be used on nice days. I plan to keep the top down almost all the time. Is there anything I need to know in terms of how to store it that way to protect the top and the plastic window? Any specific maintenance aside regular cleaning? Is keeping the top in the down position, all the time a good idea?
thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

This was a common topic ~15 years ago (yes, I've been here that long). I have an 02 with glass, so I never paid much attention. Most cars have had their tops replaced by now, and many opted to upgrade to a glass rear window when doing the top replacement, so you won't find to many plastic window owners these days. Your best bet might be a google search of the site.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a soft top cover which covers up the whole soft top when it is down. Search for soft top cover in google or ebay.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 AM

here are some links:

LMGTFY

LMGTFY

edit: not sure why they're labeled like that but its what you need
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Good points. Thanks all.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh
here are some links:

LMGTFY

LMGTFY

edit: not sure why they're labeled like that but its what you need
They are labeled that way for someone that wants to be a "smart ass", not saying that you were intending to do that. Funny none the less.

Click on either link, step by step walk through!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the easiest soft top to install, EZON, Robbins or Xtreme brand? I have an AP1 and will be buying a top with a glass rear window. I have never done this but I am mechanically capable of doing most of the work. Any ideas? Would a Dark blue top look good on a silver car?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Seems to me that when the car is not being used for any length of time its probably best for the top to leave it up rather than down all folded up. When I store my 02 for the winter months I leave the top up and I leave the latches undone to take the stress off the top. I just have to remember to drop the top or latch it before I drive it. Also, I try to keep the top clean and I treat it with a good convertible top treatment periodically. Seems to work out pretty well. It is 15 years old and in great shape.
The following users liked this post:
GSBC (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, for the past 17 years I have always stored my car with the top down. Most people on this board have needed to replace the elastic straps on their soft top. I have never had to do this and I believe it is partially because the top is always stored in the folded position.

Very important for keeping the back plastic window from getting scratched up is a "Muz Mat." They are not available anymore. What it is is a carpet that lays in the convertible top storage well keeping the soft plastic window from rubbing against the hard plastic lining of the well. You can throw a towel back there with double-sided tape and then drop the top.
When I need the top up, I make sure the top and window are warm - ~55+ degrees Fahrenheit. The plastic window gets hard and will crack if it is too cold.

I haven't used any special products on my top or window in probably 13 years. It is fine and the window is clear as day 1. It is important to note that my car has never been in the rain and is always in a garage. A product that I recommended for the plastic window is Mother's Plastic Polish.
The following users liked this post:
GSBC (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K632
What is the easiest soft top to install, EZON, Robbins or Xtreme brand? I have an AP1 and will be buying a top with a glass rear window. I have never done this but I am mechanically capable of doing most of the work. Any ideas? Would a Dark blue top look good on a silver car?
NO!

Quick Reply: New owner - convertible top