S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

5 Reasons Honda Needs a New S2000

Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 5 Reasons Honda Needs a New S2000

5 Reasons Honda Needs a New S2000
By Christopher Hurst

Let’s get real: the S2000 is one of the best cars ever made. These are my top reasons why Honda needs to give us another one.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What does Honda make in 2018 that is rear-wheel drive and fun other than the NSX? If you answered nothing you’re correct.

Honda S660???
Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

unfortunately you just can't repeat the magic created in the original S2000, a modern day S2000 won't cut it for me. It will be too watered down, too upscale, and likely too luxurious, the opposite of everything we love about the originals.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Much agreed.

The car will not have nearly the same magic as it did in its debut.

I predict, if they do, it will look similar to the bastardized NSX with a bit of ap2 flare; have some kind of hybrid system and nanny computer system like the GTR - as well as never to see a true manual transmission with a foot activated clutch.
The suspension will probably be that weird magnetic fluid suspension that you could adjust between road and track, and ultimately have no inspiration from the original.

IF Honda wanted to resurrect the s2000 and get the enthusiasts to orgy en masse over it, then there are a few things (most definitely in my opinion) that would make it worthy:
Since we understand that modern race cars have a decent technological footing going on in them, we could expect that crap to seep into the design.

But, it would be damn cool to have a 13K rpm v8 utilizing two cbr 1000 heads. Keeping the wheel base near the same as the original and keeping the engine behind the front wheels like the original (like this Busa v8)
An upgraded breaking system to handle all of that
Optional six speed manual or a six speed sequential gearbox with stick (rather than steering wheel levers)
An upgraded differential to handle all of this
Carbon drive shaft
Electronic assist power steering (just like the originals)
Very few creature comforts like the original (because we're not trying to build you a city car or family car like the original) So yeah, one cup holder and between seat console with hidden door on top.
Three way adjustable race suspension
Of course, limited slip diff.

Target weight of less than 2800lbs dry.

Problem is that it would have to satisfy too many emissions and safety regulations before it could be sold to the general public.
That target weight might be too much to ask for and we'd end up, realistically, with a minimum of a 3500lb turd. Of course, the only colors available to Americans will be silver, black, red, white, and yellow. Japan and Europe will get the cool shit.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
unfortunately you just can't repeat the magic created in the original S2000, a modern day S2000 won't cut it for me. It will be too watered down, too upscale, and likely too luxurious, the opposite of everything we love about the originals.
My thoughts exactly.

I understand why companies want to build a new car and tie it to and old name (people know that name and will be excited about it) but 99% of the time they just walk away unimpressed because it is not the same. This is painfully obvious in the new Dodge "Dart" (give me a break) and most new retro remakes. But I think the S would be the same. What they would have to do with it today in todays market would take too much away. Just build a new roadster and give it an all new name. Let the S2k name stay with the original.

I will say Mazda did pretty well with the new Miata in staying as close to the original intent as they could, but most times it does not go that way.