S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

5 S2Ks that have made the 200K Mile Club

Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slalom44
It's been a while since I updated my mileage on that 200,000 mile club thread, but I have a lot more miles than that now. I'm currently at 371,000 miles. Original engine and tranny. It still runs great.
- Slalom44
That's amazing! I hope to see you post at 500k in a few years. Please share what oil you've used and your change intervals. Does she burn oil? I plan on keeping mine forever, so I'd like to do everything I can to make her last like yours. Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Homer-
That's amazing! I hope to see you post at 500k in a few years. Please share what oil you've used and your change intervals. Does she burn oil? I plan on keeping mine forever, so I'd like to do everything I can to make her last like yours. Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
+1 on that.

I am pretty meticulous about maintenance without looking at costs because I just would like for the car to last as long as possible.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

My oil filter setup is pretty radical, since I was planning on putting a lot of miles on my car when I bought it new. I change my oil every 40,000 miles using Amsoil 0W-30. I have an Amsoil bypass filter installed, which allows me to extend my OCIs that long. I also rigged up a prelube pump to pressurize my oil system before I start the car.
Here is a link to my latest UOA:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...i-uoa-1160201/

I burn roughly a quart every 2000 miles, so it uses more oil than it used to but for an AP1 it's not too bad. But there are several others that have gone over 300,000 miles with just regular oil changes so my setup may be overkill.

Originally Posted by I<3myap1
Wow somebody beat me. I'm at 366k with original motor/trans and even original owner. Kudos!
I knew you were up there with me. Glad to hear yours is still running strong.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
My oil filter setup is pretty radical, since I was planning on putting a lot of miles on my car when I bought it new. I change my oil every 40,000 miles using Amsoil 0W-30. I have an Amsoil bypass filter installed, which allows me to extend my OCIs that long. I also rigged up a prelube pump to pressurize my oil system before I start the car.
Here is a link to my latest UOA:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...i-uoa-1160201/
Hey slalom44, first: I really appreciate your posts. Very insightful.

Given your results I'm seriously considering buying a bypass filter setup. I've priced the newer Amsoil BMK23 to be $368 shipped (after Amsoil discount, includes Bypass filter, adapter plate, etc).
I have a 2.4L stroker (CNC stroker kit that uses modified K24 crankshaft and custom rods, ACL bearings, AP2 short block with AP2 pistons and rings with a stock AP1 head except for AP2 intake retainers). I'd really like to see how long I can manage to make this engine last before a cylinder goes out of round, etc. I currently have just under 6K miles on this 2.4L shortblock.

Also, I have a mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler and would love to be able to reliably purge it and the rest of the system every oil change.
Curious to know what you've used for the prelube pump? Are you using an accusump? If not, what? Can/do you run the pump to purge all the the oil in the system when you change the oil?

In addition, as I've noted in some other thread (without any response): I'm trying to decide between Amsoil SS 0w-30 and ZRT 10w-30. I'm leaning toward SS 0w-30 given your results but do note that your mileage is primarily highway/commute. I drive the car fairly hard at times (e.g. autocross ~6 times a year). Any additional help deciding which amsoil to go with would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by snitm
Hey slalom44, first: I really appreciate your posts. Very insightful.

Given your results I'm seriously considering buying a bypass filter setup. I've priced the newer Amsoil BMK23 to be $368 shipped (after Amsoil discount, includes Bypass filter, adapter plate, etc).
I have a 2.4L stroker (CNC stroker kit that uses modified K24 crankshaft and custom rods, ACL bearings, AP2 short block with AP2 pistons and rings with a stock AP1 head except for AP2 intake retainers). I'd really like to see how long I can manage to make this engine last before a cylinder goes out of round, etc. I currently have just under 6K miles on this 2.4L shortblock.

Also, I have a mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler and would love to be able to reliably purge it and the rest of the system every oil change.
Curious to know what you've used for the prelube pump? Are you using an accusump? If not, what? Can/do you run the pump to purge all the the oil in the system when you change the oil?

In addition, as I've noted in some other thread (without any response): I'm trying to decide between Amsoil SS 0w-30 and ZRT 10w-30. I'm leaning toward SS 0w-30 given your results but do note that your mileage is primarily highway/commute. I drive the car fairly hard at times (e.g. autocross ~6 times a year). Any additional help deciding which amsoil to go with would be very much appreciated.
Just found your post that pretty much explains everything:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=762080

I'll likely go with the Amsoil SS 0w-30 too. Wish there was a more canned solution for the prelube pump. But I'm not afraid to learn/research...
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by snitm
Just found your post that pretty much explains everything:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=762080

I'll likely go with the Amsoil SS 0w-30 too. Wish there was a more canned solution for the prelube pump. But I'm not afraid to learn/research...
Guess I'll just keep replying to myself

I found this prelube pump setup but it is ~$459!: Engine Pre-Lubber

I'm now left wondering whether any of this is truly worth it for a 2.4L stroker that I intend to push hard (and I change the oil every 3K or earlier). Prelube or cleaner oil won't reduce cylinder sideload from my shorter connecting rods... that is the wear that will ruin my stroker engine first.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ Thanks for the compliments. Good luck with the prelube if you go that route.

The prelube pump you linked is much better than the one I have but is way more expensive. I've gone through three pumps so far but the Shur-Flo pumps I use have been cost effective. It's hard to tell if you get much benefit from a bypass if you're driving it hard. The real benefit of my setup is longer oil change intervals.