S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

About to buy a new to me S2000

Old 11-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Looking at the ad and pics it looks like a great car, the owner looks like he really loves/loved this car and that means a lot. Great S2000 examples at reasonable prices don't last long, I would at least contact the seller and ask the questions you need answers for. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hfreak
Looking at the ad and pics it looks like a great car, the owner looks like he really loves/loved this car and that means a lot. Great S2000 examples at reasonable prices don't last long, I would at least contact the seller and ask the questions you need answers for. Good luck!
I'm going to do what I can. I have work obligations that take me everyday through the weekend including Monday. So, as much as I'd like to take off now I just have to wait until work is done. I have been talking to the seller over email and he sent more pictures of the engine and undercarriage and it all looks good. If he can wait, I can hopefully make it there by next Tuesday or Wednesday. I like everything about the car accept a couple of things: It has a carbon fiber spoiler which is not my cup of tea...but he says it's on with 3M tape so that can come off. Also, it has the UK Mod which I also don't like. I like to hear the engine, not the exhaust. From my research it looks like the only way to go back to stock is to hopefully buy a stock exhaust from someone else who took theirs off for an aftermarket one, but that too seems fixable/doable. I guess it's all part of the hunt for the right car for me. It will happen.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

You can remove or paint or even trade the CF spoiler, endless possibilities but the trunk has no holes which is great. The UK mod is satisfying to some but not all and you can always get an untouched OEM AP2 exhaust for a good price if you want stock. Good luck and I hope all works out for you.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'm not more than 20 minutes from this car if you want a second set of eyes. Looks stunning in the photos, certainly better than my '06 which needs a wash.

The UK mod can be reversed. As can double sided 3M tape with some patience but I don't think the spoiler detracts from the car at all -- yeah, taste is highly personal. Neither should be considered a deal breaker.

This car spent it's early years in North Carolina and there are a dozen dealer service notes in the CARFAX. Current owner looks like he put maybe 7,000 miles on the car in the past 3 or 4 years. Has current Virginia registration and safety inspection. This part of VA does not require an emissions check but an unaltered car should have no problems with one.

-- Chuck
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm not more than 20 minutes from this car if you want a second set of eyes. Looks stunning in the photos, certainly better than my '06 which needs a wash.

The UK mod can be reversed. As can double sided 3M tape with some patience but I don't think the spoiler detracts from the car at all -- yeah, taste is highly personal. Neither should be considered a deal breaker.

This car spent it's early years in North Carolina and there are a dozen dealer service notes in the CARFAX. Current owner looks like he put maybe 7,000 miles on the car in the past 3 or 4 years. Has current Virginia registration and safety inspection. This part of VA does not require an emissions check but an unaltered car should have no problems with one.

-- Chuck
Just curious...how do you know the history? I don't see a Carfax posted with this ad and I did not see the ad posted anywhere else?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The vehicle license plate shows in the photo. With this information you can get free summary CarFax data on any car.

You'll need to create a free account. It will save the vehicles in your "garage." And you can enter data yourself as you change the oil at home. Try it on your car to confirm the info.

-- Chuck

Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The vehicle license plate shows in the photo. With this information you can get free summary CarFax data on any car.

You'll need to create a free account. It will save the vehicles in your "garage." And you can enter data yourself as you change the oil at home. Try it on your car to confirm the info.

-- Chuck
Pretty cool!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Link says ad was deleted. Did it get sold?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Link says ad was deleted. Did it get sold?
I think so, but not to me.

Still looking here locally. Just saw/drove another one the other day. I'm trying to not be too much of a perfectionist because otherwise I would rule them all out.

This new one was a my2000, 1-owner who just passed away and being sold by the widow. 19K miles, only driven during summer on Sundays. Perfect shape, No accidents (accept driver's fender replaced due to garage accident by owner's wife but very good replacement and paint match...so 9 of 10 vin stickers). Drove and looked as it it was a brand new car. All maintenance records from one Honda Dealership.

Only other issue was clutch "buz" in 3rd gear on downshift. I think I can live with that only flaw if it isn't harmful or fatal. Maybe I can get it fixed later down the road (think it's as much as $2,000 for the updated clutch)

We are waiting for her lawyer to help her out as currently the title is still in her husbands name...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I think that it's good that you're taking your time. Obviously you're finding that there are others out there for your consideration. If you have a place to store the car then this is a great time of year to buy a convertible as they typically go for less in the colder months.

Quick Reply: About to buy a new to me S2000