S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Aftermarket Gated Shifter? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/aftermarket-gated-shifter-1924/)

pellisS2k 11-30-2000 04:38 PM

So, does anyone produce a gated shifter for the S2k? Was just watching a Ferrari special on SpeediVision and thought that a gated shifter might look good and fit in with the s2000. We'd likely need a new stick to complete the look.

Skarv 11-30-2000 05:14 PM

Pellis:

Simply can't be done.

If you look under the boot, you will find that the shifter actually conically expands to about 1" in diameter where the gates would be. As a result, gates would have to 'overlap' which would mean no gates, just a rectangular hole.

Well... maybe... if you changed the stick it's self. That would make it a much more complicated thing, and would likely make the shifting less crisp.

Dan

RT 11-30-2000 05:44 PM

Semi-off the subject, but while installing the Rick Hesel console cover I noticed the stick is bent toward the right at the top just below the knob threads. Why?

Anyone? Anyone?.........,.....Bueler?.....

pellisS2k 11-30-2000 05:45 PM

Simply can't be done.

If you look under the boot, you will find that the shifter actually conically expands to about 1" in diameter where the gates would be. As a result, gates would have to 'overlap' which would mean no gates, just a rectangular hole.

Well... maybe... if you changed the stick it's self. That would make it a much more complicated thing, and would likely make the shifting less crisp.
Right.. I was counting on replacing the shifter anyway since it wouldnt match the look of the gates. I dont know that it wold have to affect the shifting feel, considering I didn't want to change the fulcrum point.

Moely 11-30-2000 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT:
[B]Semi-off the subject, but while installing the Rick Hesel console cover I noticed the stick is bent toward the right at the top just below the knob threads.

Skarv 11-30-2000 06:04 PM

I think the bend is because the transmission control rod is slightly off center. The bend makes the shifter appear to rise out of the center of the tunnel, and be straight in the process.

Just looks, but they count!

Dan

pfb 11-30-2000 06:28 PM

The S2000 has one of the sweetest shifters on the planet.

Ferarri gated shifters, on the other hand, are known to take some getting used to and require careful, deliberate shifting.

So I guess what I'm saying is form follows function. If you disagree, the Audi TT might be a good choice... :)

Jay Li 11-30-2000 06:56 PM

The S2000 tranny is by far and above the best I've ever used. I've also never used a gated shifter, but I can't imagine that it could be much of an improvement.

RT 11-30-2000 10:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skarv:
[B]I think the bend is because the transmission control rod is slightly off center.

pellisS2k 11-30-2000 11:11 PM

My goal with this inquiry wasnt to improve shifter performance.. Its an aesthetic improvement only. I dont suspect it should change feel any more than Rick's boot. whatever.. just curious.