S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another Water sloshing sound thread - checked door drains and trunk already!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another Water sloshing sound thread - checked door drains and trunk already!

Hi guys, I have water sloshing noises coming from the car. It is most obvious when going over speed humps in 1st gear. literally sound like water going from side to side. I can't be sure if the noise is in front of me or behind me.

So I have already read the few threads there are on the issue.My trunk looks clean. I removed the liner and no leaks there. I didn't remove the insulation padding behind the spare tire because there was no obvious dampness. I also cleaned both drains on both doors. water poured in them, comes out the wheel wheels just fine. I do have another issue where water poured in the top drain hole comes out the sides of the door jambs... I think the seals might be weak (I can put some shin-etsu grease if that would help that).

I saw one thread about air bubbles in the coolant (that didn't make sense). I do plan to change all fluids in a few months but I don't think that's the problem.

Don't know where else to check. Any thoughts?

clean trunk

drains are clear on the door. however what is running down the door jambs as shown - when poured from a container
Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure it isn't your fuel tank? There are baffles in the fuel tank but the fuel can still slosh around, especially if the tank isn't full.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Are you sure it isn't your fuel tank? There are baffles in the fuel tank but the fuel can still slosh around, especially if the tank isn't full.
I don't think so. I will check to see if a full fuel tank has any impact on sound but I had an 04 s2000 before this one, and I don't think I ever heard these sounds...
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ve certainly heard my gas tank sloshing as I moved my car in the garage this winter. Never so loud that I can hear it while the car is running. I too checked my trunk and all drain plugs. Mine is an 04
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Whenever I wash my car in my sloped driveway (nose up), when I go to move it back into garage, there is a lot of water sloshing noise. Then when its parked level, it all drains out.

I always try to rinse all the suds out of top, so a lot of water runs off top (but I don't wash it very often, so I'm not excessively wasting water). It pools at the back of top as it slowly drains down, eventually draining out the tubes.

The point is, if you're parking nose up, and it rains hard, its probably normal for water to slosh until it spends enough time level enough for water to reach drain tubes.

If tubes are clogged on one side, water will still drain, but take longer since now it has to slosh to the good side before it can drain. Meanwhile you'll be hearing sloshing.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

Maybe in your Exhaust pipe mufflers ?
see plenty of cars gushing water out of rear pipe now days !!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

That's an interesting challenge k². I'm sure I'd want to find a quick solution to this problem If I were ever to find myself in the same situation. Please be sure to keep us posted on any further developments.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 AM

I park in a garage (very slight incline) at home and at work (covered parking garage, with steep incline). So that might have something to do with water pooling in a corner. My I am absolutely certain the rain drains in the doors are clear (if any one has a solution to my other problem of water pouring down the sides, I'd love to hear it... is that normal?)

Also I am not sure if there are any other reservoirs in the trunk area like the door rain drains containers... I didn't see any but I wasn't sure if there is something hidden behind the insulation to the left of the spare tire.

This noise can only be heard at a very slow speed going over speed humps. Mostly when the car rocks side to side... At this point I am inclined to believe that it is just the fuel going side to side in the tanks. I bet I had that in my 04 as well but with this car you don't notice a lot of things that you aren't aware of but once you know it's there you can't stop hearing it...

I am still happy that I checked my trunk (I have seen some pictures of what it did to other peoples trunks and I definetly have peace of mind that there is no rust or mold anywhere).