S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anybody here use Race Ramps?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave J;24611200(35" from the tire)
[/QUOTE]
Ummm. Make that 36" ...
Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

@Bri , I haven’t. Will soon, tho.

The ones above, with the extenders look like the right ones.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2 sets of their 8" wheel cribs...I use them for things like oil changes or transmission/diff fluid changes (that's why I bought 2 sets). They're much safer than traditional jacks and are easy to transport and/or store. You could also use them for winter storage to keep your tires from developing flat spots. I will say this, if you're a "big person" you may want to go with the 10" cribs. I'm 6' and 245 and it's a tight squeeze under certain parts of the car when it's up on all 4 cribs. I got two sets for $200 shipped, so they are a cheaper alternative than a lift and don't take up much room, but they definitely have their limitations. You still need a lift or traditional jacks for suspension work. Here is what I got, you can also get 10 and 12" versions.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...8-wheel-cribs/
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

@BootsS2K thanks for sharing some pictures of your S2000 up on race ramps. Love seeing pictures of it.

@Dave J , thanks for sharing that calculator. Didn't even know that existed.

@CH53Driver , any pictures of your S2000 up on the 8" cribs?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Pics

I don’t have any from the side showing it up on all 4 cribs, but I got two from under the car when doing a coolant flush recently. I’ll get a couple next time I have it up on all 4 cribs. For reference, that’s a 3 gallon bucket under the radiator.

The following users liked this post:
Bri (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:05 AM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

@CH53Driver thank you so much for the pictures! That looks like it has adequate room.

looking forward to seeing your pictures of the car on all 4 cribs.

Just curious - what’s your jack sequence when you put the car on all 4 cribs? Do you do it a corner at a time or 2 at a time (front or back at the same time)?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bri
@CH53Driver thank you so much for the pictures! That looks like it has adequate room.

looking forward to seeing your pictures of the car on all 4 cribs.

Just curious - what’s your jack sequence when you put the car on all 4 cribs? Do you do it a corner at a time or 2 at a time (front or back at the same time)?
There's a thread under the DIY section where someone posted the Honda recommended jacking points and proper sequence when using a floor jack. Here's a quick summary:
  1. Make sure your car is OFF, set parking brake, put a set of chocks under rear wheels. Always be on a flat/level surface!
  2. Using correct jacking points on front of vehicle, jack each front corner up just far enough to slide a 2x10" piece of wood under each front tire (mine are cut about 24" long, but 12" is long enough for this technique)
  3. With both front tires raised about 1.5-2" off the ground, you should now have clearance to slide a low profile floor jack under the front, center jacking point (use Honda diagram to confirm location prior to jacking)
  4. Jack front of vehicle until high enough to slide "cribs" under each tire from the side of tire (RaceRamp cribs are concave to ensure car doesn't roll/slide off cribs)
  5. Once front cribs are in place, SLOWLY let jack down so tires can settle into cribs
  6. If doing the rears, then basically repeat the steps above. Make sure you follow Honda's recommended jacking point for the rear. You may or may not have to jack up the rear tires to get clearance for your floor jack, using the wood method for the front tires.

A couple of extra thoughts/advice:
  • NEVER GET UNDER A VEHICLE UNTIL IT IS PROPERLY UP ON SERVICEABLE JACKS/RAMPS/etc.
  • I like the RaceRamp cribs because of their stability, ease of storage/transportation, and concave design which eliminates any chance of vehicle rolling off cribs once tires are properly seated (it also eliminates the need for wheel chocks once you have the front tires safely down on the cribs)
  • If you are doing suspension work, my personal recommendation is to use the cribs on all 4 corners of the vehicle, and then use your floor jack to set a traditional jack stand under the corner you need to work on. It will keep the car from rolling/shifting while working on the suspension and if the jack stand fails, the car is still going to collapse on that corner but the remainder of the car SHOULD stay lifted off the floor which may help facilitate getting that corner of the car back up in the air. Your car will still be damaged, but hopefully not too bad. Always keep your body parts out from under the suspension/vehicle while working on it, that way of the car does start to go down, you should be able to avoid any injury.
These are my own opinions of course and are not intended as the correct way to lift a car. If you are in doubt, seek the assistance of a certified mechanic. I also recommend you never work alone on any car. Personal side story, my background is in aviation. I once was on the flightline when a mechanic was working on a 50,000 lb. aircraft that was on jacks. He didn't follow proper procedures and ended up with a 50,000 lb. aircraft sitting on his lower body. He survived for about 30 minutes, until the emergency crew used a crane to get the aircraft lifted off of his body. He died almost immediately once they lifted the aircraft off him (bled out immediately). It was a horrendous experience and despite being almost 20 years ago, I still remember that night. I'm a safety Nazi when it comes to lifting cars/equipment now.

I am about to change the oil on my Accord, I'll post a couple of pics for a visual reference as to the sequence described above. If I have time tomorrow, I'll put my S2000 up on all 4 cribs.
The following 2 users liked this post by CH53Driver:
Bri (06-15-2019), Crispy808 (04-01-2020)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Accord on RR

Okay, so just started my oil change on my 2018 Accord 2.0T. (stock height)

I will post, in sequence, the steps I took to put my front wheels/tires onto the 8" RR cribs:

At no time do I ever have to put any part of my body under the car while in the lifting phase. I push the cribs into place once I have enough clearance to get them under the tires. I hold the side of each crib when pushing, that way if something were to let go, even my hands wouldn't get caught under any part of the car. Once it is settled onto the cribs, with the cribs being as close to center under the tires (remember, the suspension will re-load when you put weight back onto it so keep that in mind when placing your cribs), only then do I get under the car. I am using an 8-quart bucket for this oil change for clearance visualization. I also used my framing square, so you can see about how many inches it actually lifted my Accord using the 8" cribs.
Bri (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Are those cribs really safer than using jack stands for when I need to get under the car for coolant, tranny and diff fluid changes?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Before I bought my QuickJack, I made my own cribs for something less than $20. You can do all four wheels with two (2) 2"x12"x12' planks and a few feet of 1x2 or 2x2 for chocks. I used them for something like 20 years. I gave them to a fellow S-owner after I got the QuickJack.

short round (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Anybody here use Race Ramps?