S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone else have wear holes in their top?

Old 10-15-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, after seing this thread, I went out and washed my S2000 and low and behold, I can see the wear happening on mine a little too. Mine is three years old and has 33k miles. I guess when I go to the dealership next, I'll have to bring this up.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:37 PM

I recently noticed my top had some wear marks too. As stated previously, you can feel the difference in thickness with your bare hand. I have had mine since 08/00 and have 63k miles of daily use. The convertible top is down 95% during my drives and comes up when I park. I'm wondering how much longer I have before it becomes a hole that leaks rain.

Joe
Old 10-15-2002, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny that this post was brought back up, because I'm going in tomorrow to have the Regional Service guy look at it. I had to wait a month for him to come back out here. The sad thing is that my normal "cool" service manager wouldn't even look at the car. He just stated that it's normal wear and tear and that it's not covered under warranty. I had to take it to another dealer just to get it looked at. He of course said very friendly and politely that I had to wait until the Regional came into town. It looks like I might have a new "cool" service manager. Oh well, I guess I'll know tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:43 PM

Oh boy, my first real problem. I have a relatively low mileage S2000, only 5500 on a 2001 (the guy that owned her before me never drove her, I take her everywhere!) and I'm noticing spots where it rubs against that piece of plastic. I'm not worn through, but there are definite score marks on the fabric.

It may be a futile effort, but I just covered the corner of the plastic edge with layers of electrical tape. If you feel the edge of the plastic, you will notice that it has a relatively sharp edge to it; hopefully the tape will ease if not stop the wear completely.

It seems that this plastic piece helps guide the fabric as the top is being lowered. Too bad, I'd almost like to take a pair of scissors to it and trim it down.

Edit: I can't believe that Honda is trying to tell you that this is normal wear and tear. Whatever you do, do not accept that bullshit answer. It's a design flaw in the 2000 and 2001 models, simple as that.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:46 AM

Here is the pic that shows it all. See how they changed it?

Old 10-16-2002, 08:08 AM

Damn....I just checked mine. My top looks new on the outside, but the inside is wearing. This sucks. What can be done about this???? What are the dealerships doing when this happens. My car has about 24k.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed there is a piece of plastic sewn into the area, I guess it helps to keep the bend from being really sharp?

Am I missing anything else?
Old 10-16-2002, 08:24 AM

It's obvious that convertible tops should not have wear holes from folding down after only a few years. Honda clearly realized this problem and corrected it in the '02 top. Earlier, a bunch of us with the plastic window sent letters to honda to try to get them to share the costs of the upgrade to the 02 top due to poor visibility. Sure, I knew it had and plastic window when I bought it and I wouldn't be able to see out of it very clearly. I can take honda's "sorry, but nothing we can do" response since I knew it how it was going to be in the beginning. But if the top is going to wear a hole in itself, well this is a completely different matter. Something needs to be done to bring this to their attention, when I get home tonight, I'm going to check out my top and look for wear marks. What they need to do is just give us 00 and 01 owners the 02 top and be done with it. Our tops are clearly problematic. This is unacceptible! Sorry for the rant, but something needs to be done...
Old 10-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Sorry, but I just checked my '02 and that piece of plastic is still there -- right behind the diagonal brace in the picture a couple of messages back. My impression was that it was maybe designed to keep the top from rubbing on that metal part.

On my driver's side, it doesn't appear to be a problem. But on the passenger side, the plastic piece is putting a bit more tension on the top. I can see the edge of it pushing on the material when I look from outside the car. All that would be needed would be to somehow bend the plastic piece a fraction toward the inside of the car, and I think the problem would vanish. If it were metal, that would be pretty easy. But I don't know how to bend plastic.

I'll try to get some time this weekend to play with it a little. At this point, I don't know if it came that way from the factory, or is being gradually distorted each time the top folds.

--Steve
Old 10-16-2002, 03:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by baritone
[B]Sorry, but I just checked my '02 and that piece of plastic is still there -- right behind the diagonal brace in the picture a couple of messages back.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have wear holes in their top?