S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best differential oil

Old 05-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

How do you feel about LHT's recommendation for Royal Purple SyncroMax in the gearbox?

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How do you feel about LHT's recommendation for Royal Purple SyncroMax in the gearbox?

-- Chuck
Yea, I have the same question. He certainly seems to thing is it the bomb. Others here use it?
The following users liked this post:
rossco (09-19-2020)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
I’m sure it’s OK but I personally prefer the OEM Honda M/T fluid.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'll admit part of the question was "loaded" since LHT's recommendation for the differential was "good enough for me" but apparently their gearbox recommendation isn't quite up to that standard. (Can take Billman's recommendations to the bank, of course.)

I'm running the Royal Purple SyncroMax in my gearbox since last week. Seems fine. Be aware the stylish shape of their bottle did not let my little hand pump inlet reach the bottom. Combined the residuals from both bottles into one and it was deep enough to fill the gearbox. I never know what to do with the few ounces left over from two quarts of gearbox oil.

My Royal Purple engine oil analysis has been flawless the last 4 years (and 3 samples) other than a high, but not alarming silicon level this last time. Cleaned the air filter and will see what the next sample looks like -- I may pull one in a month or two. Sample was drawn thru the dipstick not the sump.

-- Chuck
Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s not that the “differential fluid recommendation by LHT was good enough for me but apparently their gearbox recommendation isn’t quite up to that standard”, but more so that I prefer to stick with OEM Honda fluids on everything. Honda provides a transmission fluid for our manual gearbox but Honda doesn’t have any fluid available for our differential. Because of that, I listened to 2 authoritative sources for S2000’s TO ME. I think Billman and LHT both know what they’re doing because of the sheer amount of S2000’s they have worked on. Their recommendation carries a lot of weight FOR ME because I'm not really an expert with fluids and what's best.. Their recommendation for the diff fluid coincides so it carries even more weight.

You can do or follow whatever or whoever you want. You are maintaining your car and you should do whatever's best for your situation. If you believe the Royal Purple is what's best for your car then by all means go for it.

Last edited by TomW4; 05-26-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75w-90. Fully synthetic, recomended for BMW cars and MAN trucks, cant be bad....

https://www.castrol.com/de_de/german...fe-75w-90.html
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

He (LHT) was joking/commented in one of his vids, that he doesn't use Amsoil because he doesn't want to deal with some guy in a straw-hat, on the side of a highway, in an old minivan/truck, slanging Amsoil... in other words, it is harder to get than just running to the local auto-parts store and buying Royal Purple.

I think LHT just uses whatever is easiest to obtain at the local auto-parts store.

As for my diff... I use Mobil1 75w-140. Dunno if it's any better or worse than the 90 weight version though. I just read it's more heavy-duty. Idk, Hmmm..
For tranny.. I have Honda MTF in it now. It's soon due for a change... I will try Amsoil.

When I first bought my car, I replaced all the fluids... and, the gearbox became noticeably notchy'er after the fresh Honda MTF change.. So, I'm assuming the previous owner might've had something else better in it before I changed fluids. Maybe GM/ACDelco (since that's popular with ricers and Honda peeps) or maybe even Amsoil. Irdk.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I run M1 75/140 in the rear end and I tried different lubes in the tranny and found the Honda stuff was just to thinn in the summer. Another S owner told me to try Red Line so I tried R/L MTL, still to thin on our long summer drives. Emailed R/L and they said I could use the MTL, MT-85 or MT-90 or mix any of them to get what I wanted. I change my tranny fluid twice a year(fall, spring) and found the MT-85 works good in the fall, winter and a 50/50 mix of MT85 and MT90 for the spring, summer.

I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age because I have 4 sprayers(1 two gal. 3 two qt.) that I modified to use to fill the rear ends on my S, truck, motorhome and the transmission's in my truck and S. Each sprayer gets it own oil, I never mix the motor oil with the gear lube thats why I have 4 sprayers. Makes changing fluids so easy and fast. The motorhome(class A) is the worst to have to put oil into, that two gal. sprayer works great just put 7 qt. of oil in the sprayer and pump till its MT.

ROD
Old 05-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Great idea with the sprayers. The only fly in my ointment is my Jeep Grand Cherokee’s front and rear diff require the entire plate to be removed as there is no drain hole. PITA.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
..... Jeep Grand Cherokee’s front and rear diff require the entire plate to be removed as there is no drain hole. PITA.
Here you go, don't know what year but you get the idea
https://www.quadratec.com/categories...=diff%20covers

ROD

Quick Reply: Best differential oil