S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bitten by the S bug for a third time..have some questions.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bitten by the S bug for a third time..have some questions.

Been away from s2ki since I sold my 06 in 2011]...but got bitten by the S bug again..lol third is a charm.
I found this S online,sold by a bmw dealer.Its a 2002,78k miles.Currently is getting the top replaced so I cannot do and see it till next week.The issue I have is the carfax.It has one accident,front has been hit.The car has a great maint record by one owner,but saw few things that made me think.
1.The differential has been replaced
2.Spark plug tubes/seals have been replaced
3.Valve cover gasket replaced
4.Clutch master cylinder and slave replaced.
All replaced by independent shop minus the diff.
My question is are those normal repairs and if not what could have caused them(abuse)?etc.Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

All of those (with maybe the exception of the diff) are common issues with any S2000, I know I’ve personally replaced the clutch master/slave cylinders and the valve cover/spark plug gaskets. The diff in the AP1 was a known weak point, especially if the car had many clutch dumps, this was why Honda added the CDV and heavy flywheel in the AP2. That being said I would be much more concerned that the wreck was properly repaired than any of those items having been replaced.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

First thing out of the chute when you see it again is to see how many original VIN tags exist. See if you can tell what was replaced in the front. Digging deeper, if need be, is to be absolutely certain the frame was not impacted.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Lol I've noticed that everyone who ends up selling their s2k comes back. Buddy of mine had one, sold it for an evo 8, sold that and got another S which is now supercharged and all dressed nice. Now he's contemplating selling this one...smh. Starting from square one all over again will be a bitch. I'm currently searching for my first and hopefully last S. Good look man.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:24 PM

For whatever reason it won't let me edit my original post, but I hate you. That's the white/red s2k right? I called about that but currently don't have the funds in order and I'm out of state. Had to let that one go....
Old 06-14-2018, 05:58 AM

Lol yeah thats the one..I doubt I am.the only one aquiering about the car.Prob a lot of people are in line already.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2KBG
Lol yeah thats the one..I doubt I am.the only one aquiering about the car.Prob a lot of people are in line already.
Well it's been there for a week and change now. I called about it last week and it doesn't seem like anyone has left a concrete deposit on it. I had to pass for the above reason but once I do get my funds (waiting on a check) I'm really looking for one with a spotless carfax, so my search will continue. White/full red Ap1 is my unicorn though. Even people who aren't fond of red interiors have commented to me on how well it goes once I've shown them the combo. Good luck man.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 AM

Thanks bro.Well apparently the car is at another location getting a new top.Thats what they told me.Could be that or something more serious and its getting fixed at the near by honda dealer.I dont really trust dealers and what they tell you.Waiting for them to call me when its back to go and see it.I am not getting my hopes up since its 16 years old car,has one frontal accident and I am ocd...lol
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by S2KBG
Thanks bro.Well apparently the car is at another location getting a new top.Thats what they told me.Could be that or something more serious and its getting fixed at the near by honda dealer.I dont really trust dealers and what they tell you.Waiting for them to call me when its back to go and see it.I am not getting my hopes up since its 16 years old car,has one frontal accident and I am ocd...lol
When I called they said the top's motor was burnt out and needed to be replaced. Guy said the top went up really slow and once it was up he couldn't get it to go back down. They were willing to sell it to me without the motor fixed for a decent discount, I think the guy said 15k as-is or 16k with the top repaired if I recall correctly. If anything I'd ask them for receipts showing that what they were saying was getting done got done and not something else. I hope it's nice and not a mess. Interested to hear how you make out. Again, good luck.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Well if something else was done as well they wont show me receipts since I dont know about it.Anyway,the guy I am dealing with sent me pics yesterday of tue car being back at the dealer but not ready for sale.Car is in bad shape,seats are worn,po probably redid them but not the whole seat so there is diff.in the color.The headlights need restoring.The interior is all scratched up,hood looks misaligned.He said they will dye the seats.In overall I thing I will pass.He will send me pics of the car fixed then I will decide if I will even get there to see it.

Quick Reply: Bitten by the S bug for a third time..have some questions.