S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bumper Repaint

Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bumper Repaint

Posted this on the S2K Mid Atlantic Facebook Page, but wanted to get more responses here since it doesn't seem as active.

I think I'm finally going to get around to fixing the previous owner's curb scuffs/ installing an AP2 lip (still need to find one, but probably will need to paint it as I don't think Silverstone options are available anymore).

With that said, does anyone have any affordable bodyshop recommendations in the Aberdeen-Baltimore Area to get some quotes? What prices do you think would be reasonable?

The other option is painting it myself. I work on base so I do have access to a paint room ( $15 per hr or $55 per day) which should help get better results.

Yes the lip would cover that damage, however, I'm planning on painting the entire bumper as it has a good amount of rock chips and I want to XPEL it afterwards.

Thoughts?? Also any AP2 lips FS?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I just had my 2006 bumper repainted and OEM front spoiler mounted here in Richmond -- long drive for you but here's what I consider the best way to do it.

Remove the entire bumper and then remove all the grills and faux intakes as these need to remain black. Mask the VIN tag as that indicates it's the original to the car. The bumper needs to be completely sanded (and whatever else a good body shop does) before painting. Paint match can be difficult, especially for non-professionals, and never exactly matches on plastic and steel panels.

The the OEM front spoilers come factory painted and mine matched the refinished bumper and body very well. Silverstone spoilers are out of stock everywhere I've looked (mine has been in the box since I bought it in 2015). Off colors be painted at the same time as the bumper but note there's a black gasket between the two parts so there's a subtle diving line between the two.

No OEM lips I'm aware of but you can make a "lip" with garden edging screwed below the spoiler if you want to emulate the Mighty Car Mods guys.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 06-12-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I just had my 2006 bumper repainted and OEM front spoiler mounted here in Richmond -- long drive for you but here's what I consider the best way to do it.

Remove the entire bumper and then remove all the grills and faux intakes as these need to remain black. Mask the VIN tag as that indicates it's the original to the car. The bumper needs to be completely sanded (and whatever else a good body shop does) before painting. Paint match can be difficult, especially for non-professionals, and never exactly matches on plastic and steel panels.

The the OEM front spoilers come factory painted and mine matched the refinished bumper and body very well. Silverstone spoilers are out of stock everywhere I've looked (mine has been in the box since I bought it in 2015). Off colors be painted at the same time as the bumper but note there's a black gasket between the two parts so there's a subtle diving line between the two.

No OEM lips I'm aware of but you can make a "lip" with garden edging screwed below the spoiler if you want to emulate the Mighty Car Mods guys.

-- Chuck
How much did it cost you? There really shouldn't be much Bondo or filler work as there really isn't any deep gouges. However, I do want to have the license plate holes shaved so that will require some filler work.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Labor rate here in RVA was $46/hr. Nearly 10 hours of body and paint labor. Lots of little fiddlie things like emblems, front plate bracket, grill, and faux intakes.

Total including the Governor's share was $606.55

-- Chuck
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Labor rate here in RVA was $46/hr. Nearly 10 hours of body and paint labor. Lots of little fiddlie things like emblems, front plate bracket, grill, and faux intakes.

Total including the Governor's share was $606.55

-- Chuck
That sounds promising since I'm planning on doing alot of that myself (removing the bumper/taping/removing license plate/etc.)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 AM

The paint shop will need to do some color matching. Mine was reassembled after painting. There were a zillion paint chips.

-- Chuck