S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bumper repainting question

Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper repainting question

I'm looking to get my GPW bumper repainted due to rock chips and other minor paint damages in the lower region. I've received 2 estimates, one shop is sanding down damaged areas, while the other shop is sanding down the whole bumper then respraying.

Which one is a better method? Is it better to keep as much factory paint vs sanding it all down and applying new paint all over the bumper?

The estimates were about $100 difference.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by sndttan88
I'm looking to get my GPW bumper repainted due to rock chips and other minor paint damages in the lower region. I've received 2 estimates, one shop is sanding down damaged areas, while the other shop is sanding down the whole bumper then respraying.

Which one is a better method? Is it better to keep as much factory paint vs sanding it all down and applying new paint all over the bumper?

The estimates were about $100 difference.
depends on the damage,

if its localized damage, the damage should be sanded/repaired/prepped, and the whole bumper scuffed.

Paint and blend the area, then clear the whole bumper.

White is one of the hardest colors to match.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

I just had this done on my '06 Silverstone. I believe they sanded the entire bumper cover. I didn't discuss details but told them I wanted the best refinish available.

They did this off the car after removing all the faux intakes and grill hardware. When done with the bumper they mounted my NOS OE front spoiler that had been factory painted. All three areas match very well. There's normally a tiny difference between paint on steel and paint on plastic even when the car was new.

-- Chuck

The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (06-04-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Any surface that's going to be painted needs to sanded/scuffed, otherwise paint will flake off overtime.

If the bumper still has the VIN sticker, I would have them tape it off and sand/paint the whole bumper.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Yes, shop #1 that is planning on sanding down the damaged areas only, will scuff the whole bumper for the clear coat. Based off the response it seems like both methods work. I just wasn't sure if one method was better than the other.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

If the bumper still has the VIN sticker, I would have them tape it off and sand/paint the whole bumper
I did this myself with blue painters tape and wrote Do Not Paint on the tape with magic marker. Didn't want any mistakes.

-- Chuck
Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Curious what people are getting quoted on the resprays of a bumper only. Last respray was done by a family friend paint shop no longer in business so got it on the cheap.

Had a beautiful job done 2 years ago but I first took on a parking curb then dropped the car from the quick jack but was a tire in the wrong spot just enough to catch the front edge of the bumper and now have cracking.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I just had this done on my '06 Silverstone. I believe they sanded the entire bumper cover. I didn't discuss details but told them I wanted the best refinish available.

They did this off the car after removing all the faux intakes and grill hardware. When done with the bumper they mounted my NOS OE front spoiler that had been factory painted. All three areas match very well. There's normally a tiny difference between paint on steel and paint on plastic even when the car was new.

-- Chuck

I can't wait to have my AP1 Silverstone bumpers resprayed.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Curious what people are getting quoted on the resprays of a bumper only. Last respray was done by a family friend paint shop no longer in business so got it on the cheap.

Had a beautiful job done 2 years ago but I first took on a parking curb then dropped the car from the quick jack but was a tire in the wrong spot just enough to catch the front edge of the bumper and now have cracking.

Shop #1 was $880 and shop #2 was $980
Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sndttan88
Shop #1 was $880 and shop #2 was $980

Quick Reply: Bumper repainting question