S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Burning clutch or car next to me?

Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning clutch or car next to me?

Hey everyone,
I've just started learning how to drive stick this week. I took my S to school for the first time today. While coming home and getting on the freeway, I smelled a burning smell. I was wondering if I was burning my clutch or if it was the janky oldsmobile behind me. Is there a distinct way I can tell if I am burning my clutch? I'm worried about premature wear on my clutch

Also, can someone give me a few pointers about driving manual and preserving my clutch? I've read some websites, but they dont give much detail.

How do I get the car moving more quickly at a light? I can do the "no-gas" method shown by many sites, but it just isnt fast enough to keep up with the traffic.

How do I shift more smoothly without jerking the car? Do I let go of the clutch slower?

What should I do when slowing down for a turn or coming to a light? I know about heel-to-toe, but I'm not ready for it yet.

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=ItsBen,Sep 20 2005, 07:20 PM]Hey everyone,
Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ben,

I'll answer this question the same way I'd answer "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

Practice, practice, practice.

You'll get the hang of it. Try not to "ride" the clutch too much -- i.e., engage it quickly. As a rule of thumb, you should have the car rolling and clutch fully engaged from a full stop within a second.

Another tip... Practice on level stops or even slight downgrades. If you practice on hills (which you're probably not ready for), your clutch will probably not survive long.

Final tip... Don't be trying to race anyone from stoplights.

The good news in all this is that (I think) the S2000 shifter is very easy to use.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=Chazmo,Sep 20 2005, 08:44 PM] Ben,
Final tip...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:26 PM

speaking of starting from standstill, at about what RPM do you guys usually have it on when starting from standstill? curious to see if i'm slipping it too much

on an uphill, you will have to slip it some more though right?

thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 PM

I've been practicing everyday at this company's parking lot next to me house. There is a secruity truck on patrol there. He's used to see me there now after class
Old 09-20-2005, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=naruto,Sep 20 2005, 10:26 PM]speaking of starting from standstill, at about what RPM do you guys usually have it on when starting from standstill?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Been in your shoes and it just takes time, just listen to your car, it will tell ya' what to do...not good advice.

-Stop thinking about it, and just drive
-Your not rolling back as far as you think
-Keep your foot off the clutch if your not using it
-You will screw your clutch up if you ride it, you dont have to have it pressed down in order to make a decision
-Dont try heel-to-toe for a while
-Try the steep hills, when everybody is asleep, worst case scenario, emergency brake is there(2nd suggestion)

Practicing is what will ultimately make you better and more comfortable, and sooner or later you won't think about at all and wonder why anyone would want to drive an automatic, because manual is REALLY driving,

When I was learning, I watched an older friend of mine who had a lot of experience, and figured out what to do on the stuff I was confused about.

PS:The smell was you, and probably the piece of crap behind you as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm used to driving high revving, low torque manual cars (Celica GTS), but for some reason in my S it bogs an incredible amount unless I slip it at a higher rpm, around 1500. If I try to engage the clutch under 1k or about 1k, it'll bog like crazy or jerk back and forth. Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM

I am pretty sure I was not riding the clutch, but I had a few jerky shifts. Does that cause the burning smell?

Quick Reply: Burning clutch or car next to me?