S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Burning clutch or car next to me?

Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bud. Like others said, practice is the key. It shouldn't take too long to get it down.

One thing that comes to my mind is that a "burning" clutch has a very unique smell to it. You should be able to smell the difference between it and a POS car near you.

try to to freak yourself out, don't worry about it. Make sure your foot is off the clutch pedel when you are not shifting. Some beginners like to keep their foot on the clutch pedal and this can lead to putting slight pressure on it accidently which will cause the clutch to only be partially engaged which will make it easier to slip when you give it gas when trying to pass or something like that.

Mainly, just take it easy until you feel comfortable. Don't get on edge when someone is behind you at a stop. They can wait, it is more important the you remain calm and get your stuff right. If you are uncomfortable on a hill you can always use the ebrake method (especially if the car behind you is on your butt). Depress the button on the ebrake and pull it up so your car won't roll then give it gas and let off the clutch and when you feel the car starting to go forward start putting the ebrake down. I'm pretty sure I used this once or twice back when I was 16 and learning to drive a manual tranny.

Good luck. Learning to drive a manual, especially one as wonderful as the S's is a very rewarding experience.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM

I did not realize that the car's ideal release point is so high. I do not know anyone that can really help me with manual. My dad used to drive a truck, but it was many years ago and he keeps bogging down the engine too. He was trying to start in 2nd gear too because he was used to more torque I guess.

I'm not worried about guys wanting to race, although this one girl in a Lexus kept reving at me though. I'm more worried about stalling and getting rear ended by those huge trucks and SUVs. They pull up so close so thats kinda scary.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't be starting in 2nd, Ben. You're just going to end up needing to slip the clutch more. You're exactly right, with more low-end torque, a 2nd gear start would be OK, but it's really not good in the S.

As 44runner said, driving a manual is a rewarding and engaging experience. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Keep at it, try not to get nervous, and it will become second nature over time.

Later on, we'll talk about rev-matching, double-clutching, and heel-and-toeing. I've never been able to master h/t, but I still love driving manuals.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:38 PM

When you're learning to drive stick it pains you to be in stop/go traffic because you get "scared" when you bog or stall the engine (embarassed is the key). You get used to it after a while and it is a lot better if you don't think about stalling because then you're more prone to doing it. As far as people behind you on a hill, you can't be thinking about them either. All you have to do is engage the clutch and hit the gas so as to prevent roll back (kind of hard to explain, easier said than done as well). I never learned the ebrake thing, but to me that sounds a lot harder than just doing a smooth take off from a hill. I'm not really one to be giving advice on driving stick either because the S2000 was my first car with a manual transmission. You really get used to it after a while and then you don't really think about it too much. Everytime I pop back into my other car which is an auto, I position my feet in a way that I put my left foot on the brake because I think it's the clutch!

But my main point is that you can't be scared or thinking about it too much, that's what really deters you from enjoying the car.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 AM

[QUOTE=jlstyle82,Sep 21 2005, 06:40 PM] i find S to be the easiest stick shift car from my experience.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by slasherx,Sep 21 2005, 09:38 PM
As far as people behind you on a hill, you can't be thinking about them either. All you have to do is engage the clutch and hit the gas so as to prevent roll back (kind of hard to explain, easier said than done as well). I never learned the ebrake thing, but to me that sounds a lot harder than just doing a smooth take off from a hill.
I use the hand held parking brake if I have to stop on a hill. Come to a stop, clutch in, parking brake on, thumb pressed firmly on button on parking brake, one foot on clutch, (all the way in) one foot resting on gas.

When light turn's green, work your magic with the clutch and throttle while simultaneously releasing the parking brake. The fact that your thumb was pressing the button on the parking brake the whole time, you are allowed to execute this procedure correctly and smoothly.

This is the best way to engage a clutch on a hill from a standstill with the least amount of wear possible as the throttle and clutch can be operated simultaneously without rolling backward's.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by ItsBen,Sep 21 2005, 08:54 PM
I did not realize that the car's ideal release point is so high. I do not know anyone that can really help me with manual. My dad used to drive a truck, but it was many years ago and he keeps bogging down the engine too. He was trying to start in 2nd gear too because he was used to more torque I guess.

I'm not worried about guys wanting to race, although this one girl in a Lexus kept reving at me though. I'm more worried about stalling and getting rear ended by those huge trucks and SUVs. They pull up so close so thats kinda scary.
As a general rule, smaller cars have clutches that engage mostly toward the top of the clutch stroke. Trucks and things of that nature have clutches the work kinda how you would think a clutch would work and engage little by little throoughout the stroke of the pedal.

Generally you will only fine transmissions where it is OK to start in 2 gear in large full size pickup trucks. My Dodge Ram has such a transmission. The reason is not the added torque (my Ram has 610 ft lbs.) but actually the gear ratios in the tranny. The first gear on a full sized manual truck is normally what most people refer to as a "granny gear." Generally you only will be using this gear when pulling a heavy load because it makes it really easy to start off. When the truck is unladened, you will use second gear for starts.

For comparison, the first gear ratio in the tranny of the S is 3.133:1 while the first gear in G56 tranny in my truck (the "granny gear") is 6.29:1. Obviously that is rediculously low and not practical for everyday use.

In short, always start your S from a stop in first gear...