S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Clear 3rd Brake light?? intrested/? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/clear-3rd-brake-light-intrested-9256/)

4IGS2000 03-15-2001 08:23 PM

Okay, the s2000 3rd brake light aint the coolest looking thing i have seen. Any of you guys interested in an all clear one?? Or half red half clear?? Maybe a Euro style brake light whatever that is. Or paintable one to reduce the brake light bar size. Im direct with Taiwan and i can have anything made, if the quantity is good.
Feedback please!!!

gregstevens 03-15-2001 08:31 PM

I could be interested. I do agree that the 3rd light is a little big and well, not quite ugly, but close. I would like to have it be a little more discrete....

Any photos to back up what you are talking about?

4IGS2000 03-15-2001 08:40 PM

Umm, let me play with photoshop and i will give you an idea. :)

MacGyver 03-16-2001 07:57 AM

I'm interested...all clear with red LEDs.

Sime 03-16-2001 11:52 AM

I'm interested as well. Sounds like a good idea. I'd like clear with red LED's like Macguyver' suggestion. Any idea of cost?

Hey, how about this.......

Can you get the orange reflector insert that we have in our headlights, remade in a CLEAR plastic with the reflector pattern like the European/Australian ones?

They shouldn't cost much at all, and all you'd have to do is take apart the housing like others do. Instead of removing the orange insert and reassembling the headlamps with nothing, you just drop in the new clear piece! Presto....clear corner headlamps!

Now, THAT would go down even better than the clear rear brake light!!! :D:D:D

In fact....get me a pair of these little babies and I'll swap you for a set of brand new Troutman DOT approved Stainless Steel brake lines that I am going to be offering on a group buy soon.

How's that for incentive? :)

Chiman 03-16-2001 01:58 PM

I know some of us has to have connections to Taiwan. I like the idea of a Red/White combo, like the BMWs rear tail lights (top white, bottom Red) would be really nice. They already made replica or the BMW once already, should not be very difficult.

I am actually suprise there isn't something like that made for our headlight housing. 4igs2000, please ask those Taiwan "Civic/BMW/interga" corner light replica producer to make a less expensive white headlight housing for us.

Thanks.

John

Sime 03-16-2001 02:30 PM

I wouldn't be game to replace the whole lamp assembly with an aftermarket assembly. That would DEFINITELY not be DOT.

Just the clear insert would be a great start!

MarvinMartian 03-16-2001 02:56 PM

The third brake light is to reduce the chances for you to get rear-ended. I think the size can draw more attention to the fact that you are stopping. I would never think of changing it just for cosmetic reasons. Look how big the Cadillac STS third brake light is, now that's too big !

I would rather the guy behind me to see a big third brake light than for me to see a smaller more attractive one and get rear-ended.

A bigger problem is the flickering headlights in everyones eyes as the car bounces at night ! Now that problem can get you punched out ! I called American Honda and complained
about that issue. They, of course, said they were not aware of the problem, and no one had mentioned it before (duh! )

Skarv 03-16-2001 04:57 PM

4igs:

If you really can do the plastic, the clear diffusers for US front corners would be a big seller.

Marginal cost on these injection moldings can't be much more than a quarter, and I would happily pay a hundred times as much for a set.

I'm sure the tooling costs could be recovered quickly at this rate.

I'm sure some of the surgeons that just removed them would be happy to send you the honda originals in orange for you to have toooling made.

Also, for the 3rd brake light, keep in mind that you might need to consider what color the car is to paint the back of your new clear fitting, or silver it or something. Othewise, you might expose the mounting holes under the fixture.

Dan

[Edited by Skarv on 03-16-2001 at 05:59 PM]

4IGS2000 03-17-2001 01:36 AM

Skarv-Hello, i wouldnt rely on Taiwan to make the headlamp housings. As the S2000 housing is very complicated due to the HID kit and retrofitting. I would only rely on OEM Koito brand clear headlights :) As for the rear clear brake light that shouldnt be that big of a deal. I can also obtain DOT approval if the rear brake light isnt absolutely clear.
thanks