S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

? clutch poping out of 1st gear ?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? clutch poping out of 1st gear ?

My 04 has 10,000 miles on it and occosionally it violently pops out of first gear. It has started to become more frequent and i am taking it to the dealer this week. I looked and couldn't find anyone else with the problem... am I the only one??
Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM

I have never had this happen before. I would think having this happen just once in one time too many. Have it checked.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:58 AM

nope.. my car also seems to pop itself out of first gear sometimes if i am at full throttle and entering vtec.. i figured since my car is a MY00 it was just my clutch pressure plate or something but i am pretty new to this car so i'm not sure.. my transmission and clutch seem to be performing less than par lately.. i have A LOT of clutch buzz at certain decel speeds and its getting annoying too.. i'm most worried about my gearbox however as there are times i can feel resistance when moving the shifter from gear to gear.. it almost feels like the gears aren't lining up right and there is a metal wall that prevents the shifter from moving into gear.. if i pull the shifter back towards neutral a hair and then try again it slips into gear.. i don't know if this is a terribly bad sign because this is the first car i've owned as a manual so i'm not used to seeing how the components seem to feel different from day to day.. i wish our shifters had a more linear course of movement (it just feels too loose like maybe there are plastic bushings that are too soft or something) i don't know i might just be paranoid but whenever i try to drive fast i cannot shift very quickly if i encounter resistance when changing gears (usually i feel the resistance in the shifter going into first and third.. not so much second and fourth) i don't know if anyone has some advice about the clutch or tranny and maybe some dos and don'ts about shifting in this car let us know..
Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven many many 04my S2000s and in a couple cars I have found that sometimes the shifter feels like it goes into 1st, but does not get 1st gear fully engaged. It usually happens at a stop light and I think that it is in 1st. Then the light changes and I start to engage the clutch the shifter pops out of 1st.

I think that it is more of a "False First Engagement" than a true "pops out of gear" which is usually while driving.

Is that what you are finding?

Woodwork
Old 10-19-2004, 12:38 PM

i think you are on to something in my case.. so it is possible for the gear to be semi-enguaged and pop out after reving through several thousand rpms? in my case i had my foot on the gas and my hand resting on the knob and the shifter pushed itself down into the neutral position against my hand and the car slowed as if it was still in first gear and i had taken my foot off of the throttle, not like the it was in neutral and coasting.. but my foot was still on the throttle? also my shifter feels like if i am rolling it will slide into gear fairly easily but if i am stopped when i push up on the shifter it moves up half way and i feel resistance and then i have to wiggle and push up harder before it moves all the way up and feels like it is locked.. so u are saying sometimes i might think i've pushed it up far enough but it is stuck in the kind of half way position? my car is an MY00 so who knows.. i better get an extended warranty just in case huh
Old 10-19-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SARmedic,Oct 19 2004, 11:37 AM
? clutch poping out of 1st gear ?
In all my years of driving manual transmission cars (including the S2000), I've never had a "clutch popping out". Can you please describe what it is like? Does the clutch pedal pop up (violently) and hit your foot? I've only experience the transmission "stick" popping out of gear, but never the clutch. Are you sure it is your clutch that is popping and not your transmission?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:09 PM

mine it is the stick
Old 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM

I doubt if the clutch has anything to do with your transmission popping out of gear. If you study a diagram of the drivetrain of a manual transmiision car you will see that the clutch only acts as an interface between the engine and transmission. It sounds like have a misaligned shift mechanism or worn transmission internals.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
R11

[QUOTE=Woodwork,Oct 19 2004, 12:13 PM]I have driven many many 04my S2000s and in a couple cars I have found that sometimes the shifter feels like it goes into 1st, but does not get 1st gear fully engaged.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 PM

I have 6,500 on the odometer and it happened to me maybe 3 times. And i agree that it must have something to do with it not fully engage.

Quick Reply: ? clutch poping out of 1st gear ?