S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch and transmission failure

Old 08-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and transmission failure

Hi,
I have an S2000 from the original year, fall of 1999. It's low mileage, only just over 17,000 miles. The clutch and transmission are all taken apart at my dealership. There's a problem that happens in some S2000s, I'm not sure how often, where the clutch wears out extremely early and synchronizers fail from 1st to 2nd gear and 3rd to 4th, I think. I had only noticed the grinding from 1st to 2nd, but apparently the other synchro was failing, too.

There's rumored to be a Honda service bulletin out on this. I've also heard that the problem was more prevalent in the first year, and even that it was addressed in later years. However, I've also read reports of brand new S2000s with this problem. In some cases, the transmission actually pops out of gear into neutral. One theory is that the clutch has the defect that starts the whole problem, then the synchronizers get burned out. I'm nervous about the prospects of getting new parts that won't simply fail the same way.

My dealership is working on full warranty coverage for me. They were the ones who told me that it couldn't have been my fault, so I know that they're basically honest. They're still waiting for a seal. The car has been there for a month. They've been trying to figure the whole scene out, I think, but I'm not sure of what the whole story is over there. I was told that this is the first case like this that they'd worked on, so I faxed them a pile of similar stories that I'd downloaded from the internet.

Does anybody have any knowledge about cases like this? I'd greatly appreciate any help that I can get and relay to my dealership. Pete B.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:10 PM

Yes the 1-2 grind is a problem for some vehicles, sometimes regardless of model year, and yes, your dealership should take care of it under warranty
Old 08-25-2003, 10:41 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My dealership wants to get me covered by warranty, but Honda has claimed to them that there is no such problem. Honda must not be what it used to be - I believe that they're bullshitting, and that they know it.

Anyway, I'm calling Honda Warranty directly.

I'm guessing that the photo of the guy with the beard was Tommy Chong, right? Thanks again, Pete B.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM

G'day pete and welcome.

Ive posted the links to the technical service bulletins that are in the library in this site (button up top on menu). These were issued by Honda and are not the same as a recall because they are not garanteed for every car.

Clutch buzz TSB

https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/92/1/1/

2nd gear grind TSB

https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/85/1/1/

Do you have the extended warranty? If you do then there should be no issue with getting it fixed under warranty. But if you dont that doesn't eliminate your chances. I had mine fixed out of warranty due to their stuff ups but it took a lot of hassling.

You should feel lucky that you have a good dealership that is on your side.

Good luck
Old 08-25-2003, 04:28 PM

It's been there for a month?!?!?!? I had mine fixed at a dinky Oklahoma dealership (2nd and 3rd gears completely replaced, along with the clutch) and it only took them about 4 days.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:57 PM

Got my car November 99 2000 model 25,000 miles right now had the EXACT same prob as you to the T took it in 2 times and got some service thing done does not feel like it should but they wont do it again..
Old 08-25-2003, 09:00 PM

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who replied, AustBlue, JeffS2k, and RedDevil2000. I got those Technical Service Bulletins, and will fax them to my dealership. Is that deep blue color special to Australia? I like it very much. The only blue S2000s I've only seen are light blue around here in Massachusetts and New England. Mine is bright red, and I'm guessing RedDevil2000's is, too.

This sounds a bit scary. Some people have had the problem resolved, and others have been burned badly, it seems. The reason my car has been in the shop so long is that the problem was new to them. I don't think that Honda has been 'fessing up with my dealership. I've had to bring the stories of other cases to them.

I must confess to having towed a Sea-Doo on a trailer, but my dealership hasn't brought that up with Honda because they don't think it's any excuse for the clutch and transmission blow-up. Neither do I. My old '94 Mazda MX-6 has been towing Sea-Doos a lot longer, and its 5-speed manual transmission and clutch are just fine.

I've now called Honda Customer Service in California, and have a case number assigned to my car. My wife and I both love the S2000. We're hoping that there is a real fix for this problem, and that Honda steps up and covers the cost. I'd hate to think that whatever they put into the car could break down all over again. It would suck to sell anyone a car in that state. I'd have to tell them if I sold it myself. I do have an extended warranty, but not from Honda. I bought it a few days ago, once I knew what a mess this is. It was too late to get Honda's extended warranty, and I only had a couple of weeks left on the offer for the warranty that I did get.

So that's where things are. Thanks again, everyone. Wish me luck! I've been told that if one dealership won't help, you should go to one that will, so maybe something like that could work for RedDevil. Maybe there's a dealership in driving distance that has a better reputation than the dorks that you got at this first place. I must say, it's a shock to see this happening with a Honda. I've owned a total of 4 Hondas and 2 Acura Integras before this S2000, and my son is driving a new RSX which seems great. I hope that it works out in the end. Take care. Pete B.