S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

College advice for me and MY02

Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College advice for me and MY02

Hey guys, I'm moving into my dorm today at OU and I just thought I'd ask for some advice/tips on how to keep parts from getting stolen and keeping my car in good shape whilst being parked outdoors in a parking lot with thousands of other students' cars. Feel free to share any college experiences that you have had with your S and thanks for any advice that is given!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 AM

I'm facing a similar situation, except my campus Is located in North Philadelphia hence My00 is going to be sitting at home for the winter and my $500 1990 Honda Civic comes to school. If you can spare a $1,000 look for a beater, even though OU might be a safer campus then Temple, a lot of college kids can be immature, especially when alcohol is involved. Otherwise, park in low traffic areas, places that are further away from where people are constantly passing by and maybe invest in a Viper Lock for the extra piece of mind.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to park it at night, and don't move it during the day unless you have to. That way at night you have a better choice of spots. Like the guy above said, park it in low traffic areas, and find that one end spot thats a little bigger than others.
I used to park my old car in the parking garage, even though it was a further walk to my dorm. It was in the garage, in a huge end spot, and never got messed with.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Insurance.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a car vandalized when I was in college. Best advice? Put it in storage while you are at school and drive a beater, bum rides, or ride the bus.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Drove my mint 69 Z28 to college a couple of times many years ago. Was sitting in it resting between classes one day and watched as one of 3 guys plopped his books right on my hood! The words which came out of my mouth were needless to say not very nice and they quickly removed them and beat feet out of there. Get a beater if you possibly can...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Hm I would say the opposite about low traffic areas. At ASU the less traffic an area had the more stolen plates, parts, and car there was in the paper. I parked my 95 civic hatch that was modded at the huge lot by the stadium for 5 years and never had an issue execpt maybe a door ding. I would say to try and not part it in the dorm lot if possible and if there is some kind of structure to park in do that. At least it is out of the weather mostly. Like others have said get a good alarm, seat locks etc and make sure you check on it daily. Nothing screams vandalize me like a car that stays in the same spot day after day. Honestly there are assholes everywhere so there is always things out of your control. Just check on it and drive it often and keep it away from "party areas" (AKA places that alot of drunks pass by) but not in the boonies where someone could take their time with it an no one would pass by.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Bringing your car to college is bad news. I took my 2 year old Acura CL to UT throughout college. It was never the same. Door dings, dorm roommate (who I now loathe) puked in it the first month, people always bumming for rides, someone tried to break into it once too. And this is in garage parking too.You will be asked nonstop for rides. To go out. To go grocery.

But with all that said, I'm glad I brought my car with me. There were a lot of good memories (especially the road trips). I just feel bad that it went through so much.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

That's a tough one... On the one hand you want to protect the car but on the other, that just attracts attention to it. I'd tell you to get some seat locks, full car cover, ding protectors and maybe take the lic plate off while parked? And always try to park in a corner spot as close as possible to the curb w/out damaging the wheels... seems like a lot but I'd rather spend the time doing stuff like this than just getting to my car with dings and sh*t...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I've been ok with the community college I've been goin to. But now that I'm transfering to USF, I worry a bit. People, especially college kids, have no respect for other people's vehicles/property. My friend had his week old 2011 Civic get side-swiped the first week of class, with no note left. Personally, I'd save up for a beater for school/work duties. I've also heard that parking in the upper floors of parking garages in a corner during class helps. Most people are so lazy they'd prefer to park on the lower floors.

Quick Reply: College advice for me and MY02