S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The conclusion to my rear end replacment, and some food for thought -

Old 10-18-2000, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the conclusion of my rear end replacement and after thoughts. You can read the entire story here

I drove the car around tonight for about 20 miles total. During that time, I observed on how quiet the car was. It was never this quiet since I had the car brand new one year and 12.5k miles ago. It always used to be a slight bit noisy, sometimes more than others. At low speed parking turns, it would clunk and moan a bit. If you have this problem, it is NOT normal operational noise. The head tech informed me this is a sign of a failing differential. You should have it inspected if you have this problem, which I know a few of you do.

The second interesting thing I noticed was there was no more harmonic tones at any speed. Previously, as I was coasting down from speed, the drivetrain would make numberous different tones at various speeds. It no longer does this. This could also be a sign of a faulty rear end, but no one is for sure.

The third, and one of the most interesting to me, thing I noticed was the lack of a harmonic tone between speeds of 54 and 59mph This particular tone happened regardless of gear engaged, throttle position, load, or clutch engaged. I remember almost a year ago when a few of you were first driving the car and you noticed this as well. Not all of you have this quirk, but it was first deduced as stereo/electrical interferance. This is not so. It is definately the rear end, and my car no longer has this quirk. This is also not known if it is a signal of a future problem.

Finally, something seemingly unrelated. Engine power and response. Two weeks ago, I felt the car getting to be a tad sluggish, so I added a quart of Mobil 1 10-30 sythetic, as I was about a quart low. This did nothing to improve the situation, so I dyno'd the car to verify my twin cheek dyno readings. The results? 192hp/131 torque. These readings were LOWER that my car read under stock conditions, before my car was fully broken in (about 1k miles). This had me slightly alarmed, but I put it off in my mind, as I was due for a change in about 1k miles, and figured it to be abnormal, but sadly a reality. Fast forward to tonight. In similar weather conditions as when I last dyno'd the car, as well as driving it hard, the car felt lighter and torquier than before. I suspect the additional drag in the rear end was robbing a significant amount of power towards the end, causing my car to feel as though the emergancy brake was partially engaged. That condition is now gone.

The best part about the entire experience was that my entire car felt very very solid. It seems to have lost the stigma of feeling fragile, and has returned to feeling like a brand new car, and less of a slightly used car. The car is responsive, quiet, and feels overall much better than before. I am very happy Oh, and I will have some pictures of the carnage as soon as my digital camera decides to work again.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Praise Jesus, THAT nightmare is over!!

Cool man, glad you are back in your car and tooling around. I have tried to think about hearing noises like you have described, I just don't hear anything like that. Also, did you do a lot of clutch drops? This may have been covered before, but my memory isn't quite what it used to me. Let me know if you think that is/was the culprit...

Glad you're back on the road!!
Old 10-18-2000, 08:28 PM
dbw

still for sale?? cold better??
Old 10-18-2000, 08:36 PM

Oh yes, still have a cold, (sniff sniff) still fighting the nicotine addiction, and the CRX still has no exhaust.

As for the pending sale of my car, no final decisions have been made as of yet. I'll give it a month I think.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:38 PM

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you...On a different note, since you are a pretty mechanical kind of guy, I don't know how you can put up with that kind of crab for a LONG time before getting it fixed????
Old 10-18-2000, 09:49 PM

I'm very happy for you my man... Enjoy it.. Hope that everything will be fine from now on
Old 10-19-2000, 03:41 AM

Stick with it man...if it's better than it was new, then you should be extremely happy!

Jay
Old 10-19-2000, 04:53 AM
Tox

Congratulations on getting that mess resolved in a good way! Regarding the loss of power, I guess it takes more than a few hp to chew up a differential.

I was wondering -- did you car always make those noises since day one, or did they gradually appear with time?

Here's hoping you decide to stick with it.
Old 10-19-2000, 05:03 AM

glad to here it.
Old 10-19-2000, 05:20 AM

Thanks VT for the valuable information. This will certainly prove important for others with similar problems.

Laird

Quick Reply: The conclusion to my rear end replacment, and some food for thought -