S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering S2000 opinions if you can :)

Old 02-15-2001, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there . I am seriously considering an S2000, but am wondering if anyone has driven it in the winter. I am unfortunate enough to spend 4 months of the year in a cold winter climate. If anyone could comment on driving this car in the winter (with snow tires of course), I would love to hear from you. The only other thing that concerns me is the salt they use on the roads here.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:46 PM

Hi Zuni, I personally would hate to take my S2000 out in the crappy winter weather we have around here. I picked up my car in December and there was just a little snow on the dealers drive. The back end of the car was fishy even driving it very carefully. Others here might disagree and I believe some do drive the car year round even in snowy weather. If you can afford it though pick up a second car for the crap weather. Even a cheap old Corolla or Civic will do the job nicely.

Forget the stock market-invest in S2K's
Old 02-15-2001, 06:09 PM
Tox

Check this thread:

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=7203

Barry just put winter tires on his car and found that the squirrely handling in the snow was because of the stock tires, not the car. You have to invest up front to do this, but if you think about it you'll actually save a few bucks in the long run because Blizzaks are cheaper than S-02s, and you have to drive on something.
Old 02-15-2001, 06:21 PM

Thanks guys, the only other car I was considering was the S4. But, the S2000 was the first on my list. I am probably going to go ahead with the S2000, April time frame. I look forward to coming back and chatting with you fellas then . Might even order a hard top for it, when they are available.
Old 02-15-2001, 07:54 PM

Don't worry about winter time, worry about the spring and summer!
Old 02-15-2001, 11:51 PM

Opinions are mixed on this subject; winter tires versus winter storage. I think I'd park the S in the garage until spring and get a front drive beater for the snow and salt. Luckily, with the limited number of snow days we have here in Texas, this hasn't proven to be a problem.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:54 AM
pfb

Even if you put snow tires on the S2000 (A must if you drive in the snow intentionally), the S2000 will still be a somewhat compromised winter car because of its low clearance, very stiff, non-pothole-friendly suspension, and plastic rear window. (Hint: be very gentle when clearing snow off the back window or you will scratch the heck out of it, and possibly crack the whole window).

I live in the Colorado mountains, and the S2000 stays in the garage when it snows. Go buy a used Subaru and park the S2000 on really bad days...
Old 02-17-2001, 12:33 PM

I live in Missouri, and with 1/4" of snow, the S2000 becomes a rudderless sled. I have not added snow tires, but I suspect that changing tires would only partially solve the problem: this is a very light, rear wheel drive car. There is not even much room in the truck for sand bags(!)
Old 02-17-2001, 01:16 PM
Sev

I just came from taking my car out on a WINTER SPIN.

I have 4 Toyo winter tires on. The car is driveable, very carefully though, in snow. WINTER ARE AN ABSOLUTE MUST.

I don't take it out on bad days however, today, the grounds are mostly dry with some snow blowing from the sides.

When it snows heavily 8-9 inches plus sometimes, you won't be able to drive this thing easily.

I personally don't reccommend getting it as a winter driver, it demands far too much attention on medium to heavy snow and ice. A little bit of snow or ice and sub zero temperaturs however you will be able to pull it off with a good set of winter tires.
Old 02-17-2001, 03:38 PM

Hi Sev, actually I'm not too far from you I/m in Ottawa. I wouldn't drive it on the days the roads are snow covered. Just when its clear. We have a minivan for the nasty days .

Quick Reply: Considering S2000 opinions if you can :)