S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering Trading My 2008 F150 for a 2006 S2000

Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Trading My 2008 F150 for a 2006 S2000

This is a little in-depth because it's a $20,000 decision, so I'm just trying to make sure all my bases are covered. Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help.

I've always been a sports car guy. I had a 375rwhp 1999 Trans Am that I sold after seven years and got a 2006 Pontiac GTO. I put CCWs and cammed it to 405rwhp. I bought a house this year and decided I need to give up my sports cars for something more house-friendly, so I got a 2008 Ford F150 pickemup (crew cab). Within a month I was having sports car withdrawals, so I bought a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i which was a blast, but I sold it after half a year because I wanted to do some things to the house. I've been bikeless for almost two months now, which means I've been without a toy for almost two months, so I'm on the hunt and considering trading my F150 in on a S2000.

I actually wanted a C6 Corvette, but the big bulky feel and lack of feedback just wasn't appealing after actually driving one, and so far nothing compares to the driving experience of throwing a S2000 through the curves with the top down to me. I know it'll be all I want in the "sports" department, but I suppose I have some reservations about daily driving the S2000. Granted the Trans Am and especially the GTO weren't any more practical. I never used the back seat, and about the biggest amount of cargo I ever carry is a golf bag, otherwise I travel and ride pretty light. Tennessee winters aren't too harsh. I did drive 400hp RWD V8 cars through them for nearly a decade. I think I'll be fine in the S2000 in that regard. I worry about the convertible top though, but I've never owned a convertible before. Here is how I see the breakdown...

It'll be basically an even trade. Mileage is comparable. My payments and payment term will remain the same. The S2000 in question is a GPW car (my favorite color) with 37,000 miles in extremely good shape (the only flaw I found was a small 1" tear in the roof which was professionally patched by Crest Honda). I'll be getting it for essentially $21,500. How is that?

F150 Pros: Plenty of space for five full-sized adults, can haul things, lots of space and a comfy ride
F150 Cons: Plenty of space for five full-sized adults means hauling people around (I'm okay with just me and my fiancee being the only people riding in my vehicle), 16mpg and a big tank mean a lot of money on fill-ups

Major F150 Con: The truck has no long-term place in our household. I'm getting married in February, and my fiancee's 2006 Civic is paid off. Down the road when we decide to start a family we'll be getting her a SUV to daily drive and I'll take over daily driving duties on the Civic, which means the truck will just be sitting in the driveway only reserved for "truck duties" which I haven't used it for before or since I've moved.

S2000 Pros: Inspired driving experience, convertible top-down fun, better on gas, better looking
S2000 Cons: Minimal storage space, only two seats, not as comfy of a ride and more of a chore to drive, more worries of damage and/or theft, more mods available which would encourage me to spend more money on it

Major S2000 Pro: Both my fiancee and I want one badly, and it fits into our long-term plan (her to get an SUV once we start a family, me to daily drive her Civic, and us have an S2000 for a fun car). The downside to this is that I'll have to daily drive it for 4-5 years before the SUV/Civic thing happens and the S gets relinquished to "fun car" duties. On the other hand, people daily drive S2000s, Miatas, and even single cab trucks all the time without a second thought. Given my previous sports car experience I think I'll be okay, but the S2000 just feels so much smaller, so it's kind of a mental block to get over.

How do you guys like daily driving your S2000s? Is the deal I'm getting an okay deal, $21,500 for a 2006 with 37,000 miles? They're also giving me a little more money for my truck than anyone has offered to make the deal happen. If the price is right, and it's a "personal preference on space or sports car" decision then the decision is made. But if I'm not getting a good deal I'll keep looking elsewhere. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...this might be the weirdest possible trade I've ever heard of. But after reading this, I see where you're coming from. The S is a reliable, fun car...but remember that it has no torque whatsoever. You're a muscle car guy, maybe you should stick with a Camaro or a Mustang convertible. You might have more fun with that.

The S2000 doesn't have to be a 2006...if you want something for under $20K go a little older. They're all very reliable cars. And about daily driving...I daily drove mine for a year with no issues. It's a great car, you just need to drive it with an open mind and figure out if it's right for you.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone on here might be a bit bias, myself included, but i do not think an s2000 is comparable to any other vehicle stock for stock in it's price range. I have been an enthusiast for years, but only an owner for a couple of months. I love these cars and have found they aren't as impractical as many think. For the type of vehicle, it has more storage in relation to comparable vehicles, one of them being the popular 350Z. You will find people take county long road trips, and i have driven/rode in an S several times on a 8 or longer hour drive. You will find large, both wide and tall, can drive these cars comfortably. If theft is a worry, look at it this way-it is a problem because the car is desirable. End of story. Hard tops and security systems are great additions to keep your ride out of harms way.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Gull,Sep 28 2009, 08:53 PM
How do you guys like daily driving your S2000s?
I drive mine daily. I worry about theft/vandalism constantly. I park very defensively. However, the daily worries are small price to pay for getting to use such a pure and focused performance car everyday. Driving this car is a privilege and life is too short to drive anything that doesn't weaken your knees a little. I'm currently in the process of buying AP1 wheels/snow tires to get me through the winter.

I also travel light so the minimal cargo space isn't a problem. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and fit perfect. The car is very comfy for me. Did I mention I love this car?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive mine....I don't see how people not drive this car daily, it is too much fun to just sit in the garage. This car is a blast to drive even when I am just driving it slow and economically. Looks like space is not really an issue for you and between you and your fiance you already have a car that can sit more than two.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM

or you could save a little and get another bike
Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Or you could sell the truck for $20K yourself, buy a 2002-2003 S2000 with 37,000 miles for about $11,500 and you would have over $8,000 left to do things to your house! I am biased but the 2006 is only a bit better in performance and features but costs up to double a nice used AP1 model!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Like you said "Nothing compares to the driving experience of throwing a S2000 through the curves with the top down to me."

Your gonna find excuses to drive the S as much as possible, the miles will rack up. Ive put on 25k since i bought my CR back in March of 08.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Just go buy Gran Turismo 5, i hear almost like owning one for real...
Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prancer,Sep 28 2009, 05:42 PM
If theft is a worry, look at it this way-it is a problem because the car is desirable. End of story.
I disagree. I work in law enforcement and no matter what site anyone wants to pull up, S2000s are not stolen nearly as much as other cars we worry about. Yes, an S2000 is desired...but for an enthusiast, not to sell on the market. When you're talking about a car that only a small number (compared to economy cars) were made in the U.S., theft is not the biggest issue.

Yes, tops get slashed and these cars do get stolen...and I would highly recommend a security system on any car, but this car getting stolen was never one of my worries.

Quick Reply: Considering Trading My 2008 F150 for a 2006 S2000