S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Contemplating giving up my S (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/contemplating-giving-up-my-s-1193571/)

Magics 04-23-2019 10:03 AM

Contemplating giving up my S

About a year ago, I bought a 1-owner 2001 AP1 S2000 @ 12k miles for $24K. Its black with red interior.

It was babied, never rained on, never launched. The original owner built a garage specifically for the car where it sat for its 12k miles.

In my year of ownership I have bought an authentic Mugen hardtop and installed a FIPK intake (still have every part of stock intake). I never launched it once, I try to be nice to the gears but I have 9k'd it many times. I've only put 8K miles on it in this year of ownership. Its sitting at about 20.5k miles. Everything is stock on the car except the intake and hardtop, which I have all the stock parts still.

I have the original s2000 cover, hardtop cover and front bumper bra. I also have 1:1 extra red mats on the originals. Basically the original mats have almost never had feet put on them. I forget what they look like.

I covered it every day at work until the last 4 months due to rain and my recent injuries.

I have it upgraded with some ap2 hardware such as retainers and so forth.

I'm looking for more power and/or torque in a car. I always wanted to track it but Im always so afraid at putting the car at risk. It's in such good quality I dont want to even dent it. I wanted to supercharge it, but I don't want to break the stock-form.. or blow up a 20k original engine. I live every day worrying about the car that I'm starting not to enjoy the ownership of it.

I've been looking at vettes and I plan to test drive one soon.

How should I sell my S2000? Should I remove the hardtop and intake and sell them seperately? How much for the car?

I plan to get at least what I payed for, and I'm willing to wait if I have to.

Car Analogy 04-23-2019 11:11 AM

Sell the top separately. Put all the stock parts back on, and sell those separately.

Then, buy another S2000 that isn't in as good a shape, and modify and track that. Something you won't feel bad desecrating its pristineness with mods and possible track bruises.

Chuck S 04-23-2019 02:46 PM

Planning "to get at least what I payed (sic) for" as a sales price is naive. ;) Could happen but you paid for a 12,000 mile car an this ain't one of those anymore. Car low mileage value has depreciated since you bought it. And we don't know where you are and the market may be wildly different.

Sell aftermarket parts like the hard top separately, there's a decent market for those. But it needs to be local (where ever that is) 'cuz they're a PITA to ship.

-- Chuck

zeroptzero 04-23-2019 03:13 PM

list it for as high as you can and be willing to drop the price as needed, you can likely get your money back if you are willing to wait and find the right buyer. Sell the parts separately as most purchasers won't pay very much for aftermarket parts.

xxyion 04-23-2019 03:36 PM

To be honest i think you dont give the car enough credit. While i understand the want to avoid dents and such, there are plenty of people on here who are boosted on the stock motor and are going strong well into the 100k mile range. Remember this is a time before all of the modern computer tech really kicked in and so Honda overbuilt these engines. These engines originally were designed to come with a Supercharger as a factory option so they can handle it. This isnt an FA20 that will bend a rod if you look at it wrong.

darcyw 04-23-2019 05:29 PM

my friend sold her 2006 to me on the autocross site and bought an ss 1LE Camaro. That's some torque for you there.

So, sell "locally" if you can.
darcy

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-23-2019 08:02 PM

Before selling your exceptional example of a S2000...

Why not buy a higher mileage, slightly less than perfect, and make that your actual go fast/track car?

If I had the funds, I'd pick up an AP2 to cruise around town, and trick out my early model AP1.

Luder94 04-24-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by xxyion (Post 24593455)
...Remember this is a time before all of the modern computer tech really kicked in and so Honda overbuilt these engines. These engines originally were designed to come with a Supercharger as a factory option....

Huh?!!! What you say?

Where'd you dig this tidbit of information from?

s2000Junky 04-24-2019 07:52 AM

To echo some, part out the hardtop and intake, return everything back to stock and should be able to get close to your money back, maybe a little more, maybe a bit less. Then take half of that money and buy one you can use and abuse and have fun with without going all OCD.

lane_viper 04-24-2019 08:11 AM

Ultimately, It's your decision, but just about everyone I've ever talked to that's had a S2000 at one time, regrets selling them.

Be sure you want to sell, because it's getting harder and harder to find examples like yours.

I have the means, and an understanding wife, that lets me have multiple fun cars. I've been able to keep my S2k, and have the Corvette too.

The S2k still has its place as a back road, high strung, good weather convertible.

For a different experience I will take one of the other cars.